Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)
  • 100 milers, SDW and 'white roads' back to back weekends ?
  • weeksy

Just realised there’s only 1 week between the white roads and the SDW event.

I’m not actually sure i could/can do a 100 miler on consecutive weekends ! It seems a big ask to me….
    Both events are fully supported etc, so i should be fine for completing…

But whether i can do them on consecutive weekends is VERY much open to debate.
    I’ve done the SDW twice, but i didn’t really give any consideration to how quickly i could ride again and ride that far again..

So looking for some thoughts/ideas on that aspect of things really

fifeandy
    Free Member

Comes down to how well you’ve trained, how much training load you are able to sustain and how many hours and at what intensity you anticipate it taking you to complete the first one.
    Also an element of how much you want to sacrifice quality riding in the month after your events.

Should be perfectly possible though if you are in good shape. Going long on back to back days is fairly common, so back to back weekends should be fine.

weeksy

I think i’m doing OK training wise with Zwift and outdoors, i’m doing about 25 hours per month at the moment and for the last 5 months. I expect to start upping that time to 30+ after this month and up to 35+ leading up to event, but will obviously be some at a lower intensity.

The 100 mile White roads seems to be 65% road, 35% off road, so i’m expecting that to be about 7 hours ride time. I forsee it being more of a slog than a sprint fest.
    SDW will be more like 10-11 hours.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Should be no problem off a 35hr month – to hit that kind of volume you are looking at long(4+hr) weekend rides being pretty normal.

Just make sure you don’t treat the first one like a race and finish utterly gubbed. Should be no problem having a ‘spirited’ ride and pushing on a bit, but don’t want to be running the tank dry with 3hrs still to go and riding the last portion digging into your reserves – that’s when you start incurring big recovery time.

weeksy

First one it looks like it will be with a mate, he’s a bit slower than me and we’ll be riding at his pace, so i should be getting done with that with a decent bit left in me.

whitestone
    Free Member

As fifeandy says, it depends on how you ride/race the distances. If I ride at a comfortable pace, eat regularly and keep hydrated then I can do 200Km off-road on consecutive days. If I “race” or neglect the food/hydration then 100Km on the road does me in.

Comfortable pace generally means being able to hold a conversation, there’ll be bits where you go into the red for short steep climbs but these will be rare.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Comes down to how well you’ve trained, how much training load you are able to sustain and how many hours and at what intensity you anticipate it taking you to complete the first one.

agreed.

What i’d want to do is get two weeks of heavy training load in, with an easy week before the first event. Then another easy week between them.

What an easy week means is personal. I don’t like too long a taper, or too many days off the bike completely.

Fuelling and recovery will come into it too. Make sure you eat/ drink well through the first event. Recover well: eat well, soon after. Recovery ride the next day. Good nutrition, hydration and rest between the two weekends.

njee20
    Free Member

I did the SDW as quick as I could (ie with no consideration for recovery), then did a 300 mile road ride a week later with no ill effects. I’d done a tough 100 miles on the road the week before the SDW too.

Plenty of people do far longer rides back to back, at the end of the day it’s entirely down to you. On the back on 30+ hour months I’d expect you to be absolutely fine though.

weeksy

Well, that’s all gone quite insane !!!

Chatting with Crust yesterday evening and working out logistics for the collection/meet-up etc, but Eastbourne is a LONG way away. Crust says to me “why don’t we just ride the double and we’re then back at the car?”

that’s of course a VERY interesting idea in my mind… So much so that i’ve booked a hotel for both of us ! So we’re now doing the SDW double that weekend.

Ideally need to work out a plan for getting a change of clothing down there to get changed into, but i was thinking of just boxing up some kit and posting it to the hotel..

Eeeeeek !

nedrapier

Lordy, that escalated quickly!

I don’t want to put you off the double if you’re excited by the idea, but tricky logistics isn’t a reason! Is it because you have to change trains? 😀 😉

Eastbourne – Clapham Junction – Winchester, 2.5 hours.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Time somebody took a crack at the double double again.

bikebouy
    Free Member

You’ll be fine.

Hotels will both receive and send on stuff for you.

It’ll be fun, hope the weather holds out on the return journey, the wind in a SW’ly on top can be annoying at best.

weeksy

Ned. It was more the dullness of the train.

Hotel are happy to get a box of stuff.

This way, if we wake up on the Sunday and it’s lashing down etc we could still train it back if needed, but sod it, we’ve ridden the single twice now, so may as well make it the double. Let the training begin.

fifeandy
    Free Member

Let the training begin

Looking forward to hearing about an 8hr zwift session in the other thread!

steve_b77
    Free Member

If they were in the same weekend it might be tough, but unless you’re flat out racing both I don’t see an issue if you’re in decent shape.

weeksy

.Looking forward to hearing about an 8hr zwift session in the other thread!

No chance. Zwifting will now be a bit less racey but the longer rides will be outdoors. Already plotting a 4/5 hour this weekend if weather decent.

crosshair
    Free Member

Sounds like a great goal for you both! If you planning on doing it together though, you will be better off training your sidekick as you would be fine at his pace already…..

And I don’t say that harshly- Crust’s fitness already sounds like it’s coming along nicely but you are starting from a higher base…..

You’re already doing way more training than when you last did the single so I wouldn’t go too mad as you’ll make yourself ravenously hungry!

I’ve been thinking for a while about doing my Salisbury Plain ride again but starting from home if you want a 100 mile day out some when…….

weeksy

crosshair – Member

Sounds like a great goal for you both! If you planning on doing it together though, you will be better off training your sidekick as you would be fine at his pace already…..

And I don’t say that harshly- Crust’s fitness already sounds like it’s coming along nicely but you are starting from a higher base…..

You’re already doing way more training than when you last did the single so I wouldn’t go too mad as you’ll make yourself ravenously hungry!

I’ve been thinking for a while about doing my Salisbury Plain ride again but starting from home if you want a 100 mile day out some when…….

The Sidekick is flying mate, he’s honestly fitter, faster than i’ve ever ridden with him at. So no worries there. Yes, i accept he’s below my pace, all things being equal, i can’t see that changing.. but his pace is better than previously that’s for sure.

I’m always up for a 100 miler…. i’m still disappointed at my performance last time from Salisbury. Although we still have the problem that i’ll be trying to ride at your pace being your slower sidekick 🙂

weeksy

Well i have to admit, the SDW double is worrying me. Sat saw me doing an 86km ride, i wouldn’t go as far as ‘fresh as a daisy’ as 86km of Ridgeway/roads is a decent length, but i feel happy i had more left in the tank…. but when you consdier the first leg of the journey is double that… so realistically double the time + some more… That’s OK, it will just be a plod…. but then to head back again the next morning and do it in reverse… sheesh… i’m not sure i’ve got that in me.

The longer training rides will continue this weekend.. but i must admit i’m less optimistic than i was.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Time somebody took a crack at the double double again.”

why ? seems like a waste of a good couples of days riding to ride the same trail 4 times.

adsh
    Free Member

I’d say the double is a big ask and requires major league motivation.

weeksy

I’d say the double is a big ask and requires major league motivation.

Yeah it’s certainly seeming that way right now…. esepcially when you consider the SDW is considerably hillier than the Ridgeway. Even taking into account a couple of climbs up due to route planning… it’s still a chunk more on the SDW. That said, I probably was riding quicker than i plan on doing the SDW in…. But only for half the distance too 🙂 My ride had 610m of climb, but the SDW has 3500 ! which is just bonkers LOL.
    As stated earlier, we’ve done the SDW before… but i’m a little scared about the double now.

njee20
    Free Member

You’ll be alright. Take it steady, don’t go mad. You’re never that far from civilisation if you want to bail out.

weeksy

njee20 – Member

You’ll be alright. Take it steady, don’t go mad. You’re never that far from civilisation if you want to bail out.

I’m not seeing bailing out as a discussion/option. If i get up on day 2 and put my kit on, i’m cyling all the way home… even if it takes me 24 hours instead of 12 🙂 It’s going to be getting up on day 2 and actually starting the ride that’s the hard part.

I think the weekend has shown me a few things, that where i’ve started to focus my training differently is deffo the way forward.. But with even more focus on longer slower. Saturdays ride was 4hr 45, so i really need to work on that being more like the riding rather than the 1 hour here and there. Sure, both will help, but i think psychologically being out on the bike for more and more hours will help massively when i have to do even MORE hours.
    It will help also of course that i’ll have a mate with me for the ride, we get on brilliantly and support eachother really well with banter and fun, so that will while away a few of the longer hours.

Onwards and Upwards as they say anyway. I’m taking 1 maybe even 2 days of rest now and then potentially on Weds i’ll commute into the office, but take the long and scenic way home.

I’m still undecided on which bike to be using too. I think for the White Roads i’ll use the Parkwood, it’s great at covering the ground. But for the SDW Double, i’m still thinking the Whyte T-130 makes more sense from a comfort perspective.

senorj

I reckon a double would be seriously character building. Best of luck.
    I’ve done the SDW once before and this year want to do it in a day – my plan is to do it over two days on a mtb,bikepacking , obvs. Just to remind myself of the route & stuff, then go for it in one .Late summer,cx tastic.
    I see Trail rats point – but for me & the op, I think,it’s geographically easy to get to and less time wasted travelling is more on the bike.. 🙂

Here’s to some kind weather…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Oh senor i get the double

I just don’t get the double double.

Tiger6791

Based on the amount of Zwifting you’ve done you’ll be fine, you’re over thinking it.

Sore arse is a bigger risk

weeksy

Sore arse is a bigger risk

This is why i’m very much likely to use the Whyte T-130 at this stage, the HT is arguably quicker, but it’s not about speed, more about comfort and grinding out the miles.

njee20
    Free Member

Oh senor i get the double

I just don’t get the double double.

+1

With that amount of time I’d rather go somewhere.

fifeandy
    Free Member

This is why i’m very much likely to use the Whyte T-130 at this stage

Get a set of nice fast XC tyres for it, then you’ve got the comfort and don’t lose a horrid amount of speed.

Painey
    Free Member

The SDW ride, do it on a hardtail and provided you have a comfortable saddle (& gooch cream) you’ll be fine. What the full sus will give you in perceived comfort you’ll lose in extra effort. I did it on my carbon 29er ht and never felt uncomfortable. Wasn’t even remotely sore the next day.

njee20
    Free Member

Two pairs of shorts FTW.

weeksy

Get a set of nice fast XC tyres for it, then you’ve got the comfort and don’t lose a horrid amount of speed.

That’s the thinking yes, i’ve currently got a Rapid Rob on the front and i’ve just picked up a Maxxis Crossmark II for the rear, both should be pretty quick. But i doubt i’ll still have either by the time we get to July anyway, so will likely be a new pair on for the events.

Painey, i did it once on a Meta 55, which was bloody hard work as really not suited, especially as it was 1×10
    The 2nd time i did on a Giant XTC29 which was of course a lot ‘quicker’ but was certainly more hard work from a bumpy perspective…

This time i’ve got a choice of the PArkwood 29 or the Whyte T130. the Parkwood is very effective, but DAMN it’s a dull heavy unweildy bike to ride… the thing is just not nice…. but it’s very good at covering distance.
    The Whyte is a pure joy to ride though.

I’ll be interested to weigh the two and see if/what difference.

weeksy

njee20 – Member

Two pairs of shorts FTW.

At the same time ? I did think of that you know… but i thought “maybe that’s just completely silly”

njee20
    Free Member

Yep, always done it on long rides, works for me. Try it before, it will impact your effective saddle height.

weeksy

Whilst weight of bikes isn’t the be all and end all for my selection I thought I’d weigh them in. OK, so I was using the very rudimentary technique of standing on scales holding bikes, the difference between the two was 400gr. When you consider that the whyte is running a 2.35 trail boss rear that will end up going to a light xc tyre for events, it means they’re going to come in at pretty much exactly the same weight.
    Which leaves only comfort and rolling into the discussion.

So the Whyte is winning by a fair margin

weeksy

We had a very productive and semi-scientific ride last night out on the trails. Recently i switched the Parkwood 29 to faster XC tyres. Running tubeless too (but they also were previously), they were previously on On-one Smorgasboard and Chunky Monkey combo.
    Last night on the first decent on the Ridgeway, we noticed as we were both rolling, i was pulling ahead of the Spearfish, and by a not small amount ! Was it a random pedal stroke more at the top, was it a better and faster line… Who knows. In all our other rides, the Spearfish has seemed the best rolling bike we’ve had together, always pulling away.
    Next descent we try again, matching speed and letting it roll… the PArkwood positively flew away again.
    Onto decent 3, this is the long one down to Streatley on the Ridgeway with the drainage jumps for anyone who knows it.. So we swapped bikes this time, to rule out any aero/weight, anything really. Crust on the PArkwood, me on the Spearfish. This time, we’d start off and i’d get in his wheel… Well… i’d try to anyway. As it worked out, the Parkwood pulled out a 15s lead on the first half of the descent.. I was following the Parkwood and it just flew away… BOOM! 15s just like that.

What this of course means in the real world is that on the lighter/faster rubber the rider is either going faster, or using less effort, depending on how you look at things. Either way, it’s a considerable advantage to have compared to previous rides.

We did notice later on in the ride, if we let it roll more, then as we get to the flat/incline, somehow the Parkwood doesn’t hold it’s speed quite as well and the Fish comes back to it.. but that could be the weight of rider maybe as i’m heavier than him.

All in all, some of our recent rides have been brilliant for preparing for this coming event, this ride was no exception to that… Seeing Crust behind me when going uphill still shocks me every time, even though i’m not pushing 100%, i’m still hitting a pace that normally would have blown him out of the water, but i see him there every time ! It’s both amusing and also really really good to see 🙂

weeksy

Still putting in a fair few miles, although instead of most of them being Zwift miles, most are now outdoors. That does mean my overall miles/hour are dropping as Zwift miles are proper quick, averaging 38km/h or so usually. Whereas outdoor trails miles are 19-21km/h rides.

I’m still a little undecided on a few things at the moment regarding the SDW Double, which is the debate of what bike to use and the config for it.

I move from “yeah use the Parkwood 29” to “Damn the Whyte T130 is comfy”…

I think the comfort factor is going to be the decider really. The Whyte doesn’t seem any slower and i’m still setting PRs on it on Ridgeway segments. But, as i’m riding with a mate who’s slower than me, outright speed doesn’t matter so much, so i may as well use the Whyte. Minor debate is whether to stick with 32T single, or go to a Doubble with granny ring, but i’ve got a good few months to decide that. There’s very little i can’t climb on a 32T in the real world we ride, but whether i’ll be looking for that 22T about 150 miles into the double, hmmmmm maybe.

richardthird

Comfort, every time. Which for me is the SS (over my FS Anthem). Works particularly well on SDW as it was easier mentally to walk bits which conserves energy, refreshes muscles and you can eat easily too.

Oh and paired, practice the taking turns at gates thing!

adsh
    Free Member

whether i’ll be looking for that 22T about 150 miles into the double, hmmmmm maybe.

I’d say if you’re mortal you’ll be using it repeatedly for long sections once you’re past Amberly heading east ie about 50miles in.

Don’t underestimate it – some biig looong hills that keep on coming.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘100 milers, SDW and 'white roads' back to back weekends ?’ is closed to new replies.