Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 100 mile sportive – how hard for mtber?
  • rkk01
    Free Member

Bunch of us from work have signed up for the Lands End 100 sportive on 14 October. How tough for a half fit mtber??

Can manage 60-80 miles on the HT. Dont normally do much more than a 1 hr commute on the road bike

Any tips?

Training required?

jam-bo

Depends how fast you want to do it.

I did the 100 miler dartmoor classic at the end of June.

In march I’d not ridden for 4 months and a 30mile road ride was hard work.

I got round in 6hrs48m. Not record breaking but I was happy and raised a fair bit of money.

You’ll be fine.

aidanoggy
    Free Member

If you can ride 60-80 miles you can ride 100. Try and get some rides of 60 miles plus in leading up to the ride and you’ll be fine. Make sure you eat and drink enough and head into it with a positive attitude.

Aidy
    Free Member

Meh, you’ll be fine. No training required.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Is that 60-80 miles offroad on the HT?

If so the sportive will be simples.

If you are on the HT then the road bikes will gap your on the downhills, but you will probably pull them back on the uphills, judging by the cairngorm classic I did a couple of years ago.

rkk01
    Free Member

Going to ride to 20 year old steel road bike 😯

Did 55 miles on the HT last weekend – 3hrs54 incl stops. Not sure how comfy (or not) the roadie will be fo that long

djglover
    Free Member

I did 100 miles today in 5:30. I have been running mostly for the last 20 weeks. After 70 miles it really hurt, I haven’t ridden much over 50 since last Autumn, let alone 60-80 on an mtb. You’ll be totally fine!

mogrim

You’ll be fine, get beyond 50miles and it’s all in your head – assume you can do it, and you can. Don’t forget to eat, and not just fruit/gels/gatorade, try and get something solid (like a sandwich) at about halfway round.

druidh
    Free Member

I did LeJog last year. 10 days of 100 miles. Two of the group were older ladies (and by that I mean even older than me) on 26″, fat-tyred hybrid shoppers. The bikes weighed a ton and had that upright seating position. For sure they were more tired at the end of each day than most of us, and they were a bit slow – needing encouragement as the day went on. But they still managed it.

If you are doing 70-80 miles on a MTB – and that’s real, rough mountain biking – then a 100 mile ride on a road will be a relative doddle.

Alternatively, just fit some slicks on the MTB if that’s what you are used to riding.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

I recently discovered mule bars, they seem a very decent source of food, and quite cheap.

slick on mtb might be the better option as you are used to that riding position.

santacruzsi
    Free Member

I done the Wythenshaw 100 last weekend on a road bike and managed to get round ok. I’d not trained for it to be honest so was a bit aprehensive. The most i’d ridden on a road bike was about 35 miles and maybe 30 on a MTB in a day so it sounds to me as if you’ll have no bother. I struggled at about 75 miles but plodded on and got round in total at 6:25hrs. Happy to finish!

rkk01
    Free Member

Might have to try a few longer rides on the Paganini 8)

… Although the riding position is a bit extreme

rkk01
    Free Member

Well – the Land’s End 100 went very well.

Weather was kind to us, and the bike was going well 😉

So well, in fact, that thoughts of a new carbon flyer have been shelved. The old steel road bike was on fine form

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘100 mile sportive – how hard for mtber?’ is closed to new replies.