Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • 100 metre swimming pace times
  • damo2576
    Free Member

Just started doing 100 metre swim intervals (25m pool), getting down to 1m45ish, wondered how this stacks up and how people progressed from swimming 100m fast to 750m+ fast

glupton1976
    Free Member

I’m 17 seconds/length in a 25m pool. I like to do pyramids as a training session – one length – rest, 2 – rest up as high as I can go, then go back down.

damo2576
    Free Member

17s is FAST! Been swimming long?

glupton1976
    Free Member

It’s not that fast. Finger tips to tiptoes at full stretch I’m around 8ft4, so I’m half way along the lane before I start, plus with a good push off the end you’re not left with far to swim.

I dont swim seriously, I just do it for fitness and have maybe been doing so for 3 months. My techniques i crap but its getting there.

JollyGreenGiant
    Free Member

17 sec per 25m would equate to sub 5 mins for 400 if you could sustain it.I`d say that was fast. 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

Find a proper competitive swimming club and get a lesson or two, they’ll give you a training schedule too. Learn to do tumble turns they make a massive difference. As noted above technique is key and that you need to be taught and IMO by a proper racing club coach

joemarshall
    Free Member

I’m about 1:20 for 100m in a hurry. Just under 7 minutes for a 400m.

It’s all about technique not fitness – I’ve always been pretty fit, but a bit of coached technique work has massively improved my speed.

Technique with breathing and turning and things really helps with distance, as most people find they are not so much tiring out, as losing their breath.

Swim clubs (or triathlon club which is what I’m in) are quite cheap, really good way to get better at swimming.

Joe

llama

1:45 turn around time or 1:45 swimming time?

how many can you do at that pace?

damo2576
    Free Member

Not sure what you mean by turnaround time but that includes my turns which are just touching the wall then pushing off – not got onto tumble turns yet!
    Hae been having occasional coaching, TI basically.

charliemort

about 70 secs 100m balls out. 5:45 400m, 23 min 1500m

swam as a kid though, currently 2 to 3 hours a week

azarat
    Free Member

53 years old. Swim 4 times a week but not in club. 1:12 for 100, 2:40 for 200 and low 22 mins for 1500 looking to drop to 21 for 1500 this winter.

ebygomm
    Free Member

Turnaround time means are you swimming 100m in under 1.45 and setting off again on 1.45 or are you swimming in 1.45 and then having 10/20/30 seconds rest before the next?

damo2576
    Free Member

The latter! But with much more rest!

ebygomm
    Free Member

Ok, if you are looking at swimming longer distances you need to find a pace that you can keep to with just 10 or 15 seconds rest between each 100.

molgrips
    Free Member

Are you guys diving in to get these times?

Edukator
    Free Member

A length is just a measure of your strength and swimming technique, mainly the former. 750m is aerobic exercise for which your cardio-vascular system and efficient technique are the limiting factors. I’ve never been able to keep up with the interval sessions of my tri club but in triathlons come out of the water in the middle of those I can’t keep up with.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

IMO – TI is great at getting swimmers technique into shape and to understand the inter-connectiveness between parts of the body. But there seems to be (IMO) a lot of TI swimmers who plateau in the 1:30-1:50 100 region. Why? Again IMO they over-focus on stroke efficiency and under-emphasise stroke rate. This leads to dead spots in the stroke and an element of gliding which is ultimately inefficient. (I am talking from personal experience here!!!).

Dare I say it – 1:20 100s and 7m 400m – are a good indicator of this (again from personal experience) and more obviously a need to think about pacing. Most swimmers go off far too fast and fade very quickly a a result. These numbers are very common.

Damo – you have tri aspirations I recall. You need to understand CSS and train around it. Go to the Swimsmooth website and you will find all you need. Its the key to breaking the plateau (in my experience again 😉 )

But dont become obsessive – enjoy your swimming (need I say it…in my….. 😉 )

molgrips
    Free Member

A length is just a measure of your strength and swimming technique, mainly the former

I’d say mainly the latter, but I am not an expert 🙂

DaveRambo

I look to do long swims at 30secs a length and can sustain that for ever (well as long as I want pretty much – I haven’t swum more than a mile without a rest)

When I enter sprint Tri’s I put my time down with 30sec lengths – so 8 mins for a 400m swim. I try and swim quite slowly as the extra effort in saving 1 min in the swim isn’t worth it and I make it up on the bike. Oddly, trying to swim well within myself often means I end up not going out fast and I slowly get faster as the lengths pass and I think I’ve always done the swim in under the time I estimate

If I really try I could do 100m at somewhere between 20 and 25 secs depending on how much I’ve been doing recently – 25 is quite easy 20 feels quite hard.

I’m not a brilliant swimmer – I just try and be efficient.

tarquin
    Free Member

Technique will make the biggest difference.

If you are mainly a cyclist you will need to work on your upper body strength, all in the shoulders for front crawl.

Tumble turns will save you 2 seconds a length, plus making the most of your push off, you should go 5m before reaching the surface at each end. Reaching the surface when your push off speed matches your swimming speed.

I’d swim 100m intervals on 1:45 including rest time in sets, if you can’t hack it then 1:50, higher etc. Once you can do 6 or so in a row, start increasing the pace on future training sessions.

I am a better swimmer than bike rider by a long way.

Looking at Triathlons, they are much more bike/run balanced. For example, the local club does: 300m Swim, 17km Ride and 2.5km Run. Now a 300m swim I could do in perhaps 3:30 pushing hard. But then you are looking at half an hour on the bike, I would perhaps lose 10 seconds a km over a better rider who was only an average swimmer that I could only expect to gain 60-90 seconds over on the swim.

karnali
    Free Member

as mentioned above check out swim sooth website, they have a claculator for working out CSS. Sets of 20 x 100 at css will improve your times, depends whether you want to swim one 100m fast of swim 1500 CSS will help with pacing so your last 100 of a session is within seconds of your first.

molgrips
    Free Member

Tumble turns will save you 2 seconds a length, plus making the most of your push off, you should go 5m before reaching the surface at each end

Something interesting – I couldn’t hold my breath long enough whilst swimming to do a decent tumble turn and glide, cos I was puffing and blowing too hard.

Doing running sprint intervals improved my CV capacity so quickly that now I can. There’s cross training benefit for you 🙂 (incidentally it’s had a similar effect on the bike – I now no longer get out of breath when riding hard, my legs just hurt)

joemarshall
    Free Member

Dare I say it – 1:20 100s and 7m 400m – are a good indicator of this (again from personal experience) and more obviously a need to think about pacing. Most swimmers go off far too fast and fade very quickly a a result. These numbers are very common.

I think for me, they’re a reflection of the fact that my pacing is terrible. Although I did the 6:57 pacing off a beep per length, so the pacing was fine but I could probably have pushed harder overall if I set the beep quicker. I think it might have been 1:10 now I think about it, so I’m even worse than you think! Although th e shorter time was after an hour long 1:1 coaching session (i was one of only a few to turn up whilst some olympic event or other was on).

Thinking about it, I can’t remember if I even did flip turns on the 7 minute one either, I just learnt them quite recently. Hmm. Have managed to miss the last two training sessions too which is annoying.

Annoyingly, flip turns have revealed that I also appear to be allergic to chlorine, so I have to learn to swim with a nose clip next.

My current swim challenge is swimming outdoors every thursday. It is already starting to get chilly – the Derwent this morning was pretty fresh, not surprising given the air temp of 11 degrees and the rain! I doubt I’ll swim very long distances in December and Jan, even if I go wetsuited.

charliemort

Whilst tumble turns help, I don’t believe 2 secs per length vs a good push turn. Most I lose to a good tumble turner is half a body length (maybe 1 second)

richardk
    Free Member

1m58s consistently for 100m in a pool.

Only other distance I timed myself on this year was 3800m – that took me 1h19m

Going to start getting coached (for the first time in 30 years) through this winter to see if I can get quicker.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

To avoid the time fixation especially worrying about tumble turns etc, a very simple session is to swim 100m intervals at a set RPE (don’t worry about being too accurate here) and instead of clock obsessing merely choose a number of deep breadths. So 15 x 100m session withn 8 deep breadths between each set. Very simple but gets harder very quickly.

makeitorange
    Free Member

After reading this thread, out of curiosity I looked up Phelps World record for freestyle 200m – its 1:42.96 that’s an average of 12.8 second per 25m. He is insanely fast.

heresjonny
    Free Member

I posted 59.56 for a 100m freestyle and 4.47 for 400m freestyle, and I was an average club swimmer. Now I coach at my old club 3 times a week and take the dry training sessions. Will post up more later, got kids to bath now..

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘100 metre swimming pace times’ is closed to new replies.