Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • 100 Greatest Cycling Climbs – Google Map
  • phil.w
    Free Member

To help with my route planning for the climbs in this book I’ve placemarked them on google.

So I thought I’d share. Here it is.

grumm
    Free Member

Nice one – I’ve done a whole one of them – Jubilee tower near Lancaster, it’s pretty brutal but I don’t have much experience of such things.

ourmaninthenorth

Nice one, phil.w. I was given the book yesterday, so this is timely..!

antigee

anybody bothered dividing the distance and hieght gains by suggested times to work out average speed / ascent

i’m geek enough to be tempted but know the numbers will come out depressing

grumm
    Free Member

There was a hill climb competition on the Jubilee Tower climb, I seem to remember the winner averaged 17mph – not sure of the gradient but that seems insane to me!

spacemonkey

Nice work Phil. IMO, it seems a bit weird how some of them made it into the book though, e.g. Leith Hill, Ranmore, Zig Zags …

Steyning Bowl used to be an absolute ar5e in 30deg+ heat as a teenage road biker.

phil.w
    Free Member

Your right spacemonkey, not sure what the selection criteria was. It seems that it has partly been done to give a even spread around the country.

And average speed would be interesting. Some of them don’t seem that difficult if you were to hit them with fresh legs, but how far would be a good ‘warm-up’ ride.

crazy-legs

One that isn’t in there is Long Hill
    This hill here going from Whaley Bridge over to Buxton
    which is used in the local club HC and will be the venue for the National HC next year.

Record on that used to be held by Rob Hayles but it was beaten recently and is now 12.26 (an average speed of 21.5mph!)

I’ve done Jubilee Tower many times on both training runs and in HC competitions. Tough hill, really difficult to pace yourself on.

Your right spacemonkey, not sure what the selection criteria was. It seems that it has partly been done to give a even spread around the country.

I think one of the criteria for hills included was that a lot of them are the venue for local club hill climb races (Titsey Hill was the one for my cycle club when I lived in London).

antigee

local to me Pea Royd Hill i make the winning times at just under 3m 30secs as over 25mph over the 1200yd official course

first attempt at video link
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LLTWeM0dU[/video]

ok just use the utube link

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3LLTWeM0dU

cynic-al
    Free Member

7 in Scotland WTF (covered previously IIRC, but still noteworthy)

stever
    Free Member

Nice work fella!
    Jubilee Tower climb was just the other week wasn’t it? My average will be considerably less than 17mph. Trough road nearby also gives good value.

ton

just looking on there has got me excited……….. 8)
    just booked a nice bunkhouse 2 miles from the dent brewery, with 2 days pass storming planned in the northern yorkshire dales……… 8) 8)

even tho i am fat, i love hills 8)

scaredypants

antigee: “just under 3m 30secs as over 25mph over the 1200yd official course”

3:30 for 3/4 mile ? That’s about 5min/mile, or 12 mph isn’t it ?

ourmaninthenorth

One that isn’t in there is Long Hill

That’s because it’s long (in a UK sense), but not particularly steep. I’m not surprised Hayles could bash up there so quick.

Sadly, also rather a busy road – a member of my club (Mrc Whls) was hit and killed by a motorcycle when riding on Longhill last year.

antigee

scaredypants is correct = thankgod for that

sorry screwed up my yards to miles and failed to logic check

Paceman
    Free Member

Shame they’re road climbs.

Woody
    Free Member

No 60 is only 3 miles from my house and both it and the alternative routes are one of the reasons I don’t cycle to work!

It’s a horrendous climb with blind bends which just go on and on and on………made worse by the fact it is very narrow and the chances of being wiped put by a 4×4/tractor/boy racer are fairly high.

I think I’ll give it a miss but if anyone plans on doing it ping me an email and I’ll follow you up in my car and even film you if you if you’ve got a camcorder. 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I was going to wade in and big up my local Welsh climbs but you have them all on the list 🙂

Except I’d suggest the one up past Afan Argoed too – it’s lovely.

And at least one of the Snowdon ones!

SkillWill
    Free Member

Just walked up a load of them using StreetView.

Piece of piss, not even out of breath.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Not sure why some of them are in there. Number 25 Inkpen Hill is local to me and its nothing special and very short. Reasonable view at the top but that’s about it. Would be interesting to know the selection criteria as I’ve no idea why Inkpen Hill is in the book and something like White Horse Hill isn’t.

antigee

SkillWill – Member
    Just walked up a load of them using StreetView.

i suspect there is already a facebook group dedicated to people with a passing interest in doing just that 😉

IanB
    Free Member

Gospel Pass near Hay on Wye isn’t on there either 😕 A good climb in my book.

That one, Number 94 and 97 make a good leg burning loop.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

I have the book and live in the Surrey Hills where a few climbs are included as noted above. I can sort of see why some have been included as it’s not the 100 hardest climbs – more iconic or whatever. Anyway, Boxhill Zig Zag is rated 3/10 which is fair enough I suppose but not sure why White Down gets 8/10. The Burway (no.39) is the toughest I’ve done and rated at 9/10 which seems more appropriate than White Down’s rating.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I drive to work via number 3 and I’ve done 63mph down it on a MTB with slicks (speedo accuracy double checked by GPS) 😯

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘100 Greatest Cycling Climbs – Google Map’ is closed to new replies.