Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)
  • 100 Car Pile Up
  • ormondroyd
    Free Member

I think it’s daft when cyclists and motorcyclists take pot shots at each other. We’re both basically in the same boat – i.e. invisible to crap motorists.

binners

There’s only one person taking dim-witted potshots at motorcyclists though, thankfully

Jamie
    Free Member

What a nasty little thread.

Was never the intention 🙁

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I know, Jamie, I know. Sad, really.

bearnecessities

Edit. Already been said.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

project – Member

oh and at least its taken the media and us plebs eye off the syrian g20 conflict for a few hours.

Are you suggesting some sort of lizard overlord conspiracy on this good day to leak bad news?

soobalias
    Free Member

my least favourite time of year to commute by bike.

low sun, nights drawing in, add in a bit of rain/fog and its as tough as it gets.

roll on winter. i will take ice anyday.

verticalclimber
    Free Member

a similar accident happened before 40 cars or so cant remember where but coppers did prosecute all drivers for undue care etc etc

too right

El-bent
    Free Member

What a nasty little thread.

Here’s a little kitten for you to sooth your rumpled feathers petal.

globalti
    Free Member

We missed a massive pile-up by a few feet one Friday evening driving down the M61 towards Manchester. The Police convoy carrying Dale Cregan from Preston Crown Court back to Strangeways overtook us, helicopter, motorbikes, cars and two prison vans. We sat behind the moving roadblock and as we passed Chorley someone behind us was distracted by a small incident on the hard shoulder… I saw a sudden movement in my mirror, looked and saw the apocalypse happening; cars spinning, shooting up the verge, hubcaps flying, dust, tyre smoke, absolute mayhem. For the next few miles there was only the Cregan convoy, us and two other cars on the M61 Southbound….

jamj1974

Just heard about this on Radio 4. Hoping for no fatalities as a result of this accident.

Coyote – Member
    Some folk are just too cool or important to slow down.
    I travel many motorway miles in my current role and see far too many examples of this. Not quite sure if it is really poor driving technique or just an extension of the selfish attitude displayed by many people.

^^This

project
    Free Member

In other news – I think I counted 22 cyclists on my way to work this morning, my journey involves 29 miles of country lanes and fast A-roads/Dual carriageways.
    Visibility was well below 100m at quite a few points due to thick fog (Not that far from Sheppy as the crow flies)

Only 2 of these cyclists had any lights on their bike….

It isn’t just car-drivers who behave like tw*ts in the fog..

But bikes dont come equipped with lights and most of us cyclists dont use or need lights until the darker nights start.

kcal

“I was in the outside lane when vehicles in front of me braked and cars were crashing,” he said.

“There was another pile-up behind the group of cars I was travelling in. All I could do was brake, stop and await further instructions.”

He said it was very foggy and in some places he could only see 30ft in front of him.

Admittedly he /could/ have been driving at 30mph or less in the outside lane…

BermBandit
    Free Member

I was stationary right next to a multi car pile up in similar circumstances on the opposite carriageway on the M4 near Heston years ago. Its the scariest thing I’ve ever seen/heard/experienced. Very quiet, then a screeh of tyres and a horrible bang, then silence again for a few moments and then it happens all over again. What made it worse was quite a few fires started and you could hear a sort of whump sound when they started and then see an orange glow.

That was in incredibly thick fog, which was why my, much less busy carriageway (west bound early morning), had ground to a stop.

I can’t really comment on the wisdom or otherwise of drivers, but I’m pretty sure nobody intentionally made this happen. I reckon its a lot like the accusations of rubber necking you hear about all the time. actually the Highway Code does suggest you should slow down and take appropriate action when you see blue flashing lights. When you do you get accused of gawping. I suspect that some people slow down more than others in fog, and the disparity in speeds is probably the problem, especially so when as in this case you are near a river. You often suddenly run into much thicker fog. etc etc

Its just not always as simple as someone is to blame and someone is a **** when things go wrong IMHO.

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Project wrote…

They weave in and out of traffic with no regard for their safety or others, cause vehicles to swerve,have absolutely no crash protection on faster roads, andf create massive bills for the nhs, when they frequently fall off.

But bikes dont come equipped with lights and most of us cyclists dont use or need lights until the darker nights start.

El-Bent;

“Sounds a lot like what people say about cyclists that does!”

Cyclists aren’t travelling around in a two ton box of metal.

Neither are the motorcyclists the previous comment you quoted was referring to, either 🙄

El-bent
    Free Member

Neither are the motorcyclists the previous comment you quoted was referring to, either

I was referring to the cyclist quote. Keep up.

chvck
    Free Member

I was referring to the motorcyclists comment that project made so not sure what relevance your quote had?

somafunk

For the past few years i’ve had a 3 mile cycle to my work on a very quiet Galloway road for 3 days a week, no issues whatsoever, last year i took a second job at a bike shop 10 miles away which means i drive the A75 back and forward another 3 days a week and the amount of **** idiots who overtake in the most stupidest places astounds me, folk who tailgate are another pet peeve, in general i’d welcome a re-test every 5 years and remove a decent amount of folk from the roads.

As for the above crash ^, bad driving caused it, not the fog.

garage-dweller

Personally I would just welcome some proper roads policing. Don’t stand on street corners with a speed gun at 11pm. Get out at rush hour and nick the **** overtaking wildly at way in excess of the limit and gassing on their phones.

No I have not been nicked late at night and I don’t drive in a way that’s likely to result in it either.

Shocking accident. How they will get to the bottom of who is a victim and who is a clot I don’t know.

El-bent
    Free Member

I was referring to the motorcyclists comment that project made so not sure what relevance your quote had?

Sounds a lot like what people say about cyclists that does!

The relevance being that cyclists or motorcyclists may dodge and weave through traffic, but are not going to cause the kind of mayhem and cost to the NHS that happened today when 130 metal boxes that crashed into each other. Except of course, if they are driving cars badly.

aracer
    Free Member

It isn’t just car-drivers who behave like tw*ts in the fog..

So failing to fit a bike light (which you don’t usually need at that time of day and might not obviously need when you leave home) is directly equivalent to driving too fast for the conditions? How many of those cyclists crash into other road users do you reckon?

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

I actually think that it should be a legal requirement to fit lights on any bicycle you ride on the road regardless of the time of day. You wouldnt have a car that didn’t have lights just because you only usually ride it in the day time and there usually arn’t adverse weather conditions. Couple of flashing lights on permanently and people might notice bikes more often.

hora
    Free Member

M62 Saddleworth moor where it goes from 4 lanes to 3 you get jet pilots in cars + fog and of course the ol favourite M62 jct 24-26. Hello fog bye bye DROP YOUR speed……..EVERYONE.

mrmonkfinger
    Free Member

I’m with garage-dweller.

Nick people who drive like twunts especially during busy times and on fast roads, dish out proper sodding fines for bad driving, not joke fines of a couple of hundred, something that will make a real impression, like the cost of a whole car – i.e. thousands. Or a few nights in lockup.

Probably unrelated to this thread, but; driving without a license/insurance/mot should be an imprisonable offence, make it a three strikes rule or sliding scale of fines-jail, but there seems to be this assumption that piloting two tons of metal is a birthright for every human, when the truth is that some people are just so woefully bad at it they shouldn’t be allowed to do it.

Oh, and causing death through dangerous driving? Go directly to jail do not pass go do not collect £200.

crazy-legs

Agreed. ^^

I drove in this morning – quite heavy rain, loads of spray on the M60 and there were loads of cars without lights on, 80+ in the outside lane, tailgating, you name it.

Driving standards in this country are abysmal. 🙁

ir_bandito
    Free Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23984059

Good grief. Sad isn’t it that the rules have to be changed, rather than allow motorists to use common sense to slow down for bad conditions. Simply because a percentage of motorists have no common sense.
    Makes you wonder, maybe driving lessons/tests should be forced to integrate some bad weather driving experience? bit late for some I realise 🙁

molgrips
    Free Member

Makes you wonder, maybe driving lessons/tests should be forced to integrate some bad weather driving experience?

Yep. Simulators for everyone. Including simulations of a variety of crashes.

Viewing 28 posts - 41 through 68 (of 68 total)

The topic ‘100 Car Pile Up’ is closed to new replies.