Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 10 year old VW Golf Estate – can you get a bike in?
  • alexonabike

Thinking of selling the van and getting a golf estate (probs the one based on the MK3 chassis). Just wanted to know if you can get a bike in whole, with the rear seats down? Or is it a wheel off jobby (maybe i'm spoilt having owned a van for what seems like ever).

Also what are they like to live with? Which engine? Is a 1.8 petrol ok? I want reliability over performance.

mboy
    Free Member

Get a 1.9TDi over any petrol Golf engine…

The 1.8 petrol is only 90bhp (in fact some were only 75bhp!), which is the same as the 1.9TDi. The Petrol will give you low 30's MPG, the TDi rarely lower than 50MPG.

I've got a MK3 Golf hatch with the 1.9TDi engine, it's a great little car. OK, have to take at least one wheel off to get any of my bikes in (expect you could get one in whole in the estate, but I'm not sure), but so what? Can get 2 bikes, 2 people, and enough kit for a day away inside it. Am tempted to fit a towbar and use a towbar mounted rack so I can get 3/4 people and bikes in/on it…

Oh, and the 90bhp TDi remaps to about 115-120bhp very easily and cheaply, if you're lucky enough to find one of the rarer 110bhp 1.9TDi's, they remap to about 140-145bhp quite easily and cheaply cos of their larger injectors!

tomdebruin
    Free Member

I've got a Y reg Golf Estate SDI and I can get a whole bike in with the seats down without too much effort.

The SDI is all about reliability over performance. It's got almost 150k on the clock and apart from a new clutch, alternator, and the odd service it's going strong.

Some great info on engine choices here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Volkswagen_Golf_Mk3

WBC

I have borrowed my parents old Mk3 Golf estate a few times and put my bike in without removing the wheels no problemo.

I had a 1.8 petrol (90bhp) Golf Mk3 hatchback for four years and had no problems with it (just routine servicing). Sold it with 128k on the clock and was still going strong. Performance was never going to set the world on fire but would happily cruise all day at 80 mph. If memory serves me right I used to get approx 400 miles to a tank (50 L). If you could pick up a diesel (the 90bhp tdi) for the right price you can easily get 600 miles to a tank (60L) and to be honest the engine is probably more suited to the car and I found it more relaxing to drive (the parents was a TDI). Saying that though I was always happy with the 1.8.

alexonabike

Cheers guys, I currently have a 55 plate Caddy 1.9tdi 105 and TBH it has been nothing but trouble. It's currently in getting a new (recon) turbo fitted as the actuator has failed (non-repairable). I guess I just got a pup. Shame, as I thought this would be my ultimate vehicle. I had a T4 1.9Td before and although it was gutless – it was bomber.

mboy
    Free Member

If you could pick up a diesel (the 90bhp tdi) for the right price you can easily get 600 miles to a tank (60L) and to be honest the engine is probably more suited to the car and I found it more relaxing to drive

Don't think the diesel has got a bigger fuel tank, can't even get a full 50 litres in mine even when I run it down to practically empty. I can get over 550 miles on 50 litres though, I had as much as 592 miles from a tankful once when I was taking it easy! That said, even if you're bombing down the motorway at less than legal speeds the whole time (moi, never!) it'll still do over 520 miles to a tankful! And the diesel cruise very well, so got to agree with the comment about it suiting the car more…

Just thought actually, mine is a hatchback, don't quite know but maybe the Estate has a bigger fuel tank than the hatchback perhaps!

bikeroyc

Used to have a mark 3 Golf GL estate which had the same engine as the GTi.
    Economical , very fast and roomy, Drove to the roc in the South of France with two bikes in the back in a day.

alexonabike

Can you fold the rear seats totally flat to the boot floor? It would be useful if I could lay down in the back to avoid having to erect a tent – This is something that I am most smug about owning a van!

EDIT: Was the 2.0l petrol engine? My mother has a MK4 gti with that engine and its a good one – but pretty thirsty.

metalheart
    Free Member

Got a 51 plate estate.

I have to take the front wheel off to get it to fit in the back (with the seats down.

Yes you can fold the seats flat but you'd need to be a short arse to fit (or scrunch up).

Tend to get ~48 mpg average. >500 miles on a tank of diesel.

I'm thinking about a van myself. Or another Octavia. more room in that.

Drac

Well I can get a 2 bike in the back of my Bora so an estate Golf will manage no bother, it's a 1.6 Petrol so a bit numb and only does about 34MPG but it doesn't go very so no worries.

Steelfreak
    Free Member

I've got a Mark 3 hatchback – can get an adult hardtail in boot (with both wheels off) plus child's bike with back seats up (a bit fiddly, though). 1.9D, nearly 150000 on the clock and very reliable. Just watch out for body rust – some rust like a 1970's Lancia (well, maybe not quite that bad).

ski
    Free Member

I have a mk4 estate (03) & the roof rails flex a bit with three bikes up top 😉

Neat hidden hatch under the rear boot is usefull place to store loads of bits, such as valuable spares, tool kit, etc.

Mine is the 130bhp TDI avarages 45mpg on the 2nd trip on the fuel comp (over the last 30k) on the motorway, taking it easy, you can get high 50's.

Easily do 500 to the tank, if you vent the overflow tank, switch just inside the tank – did you know that? 😉 you can fit an extra 5ltrs or so. For one strange reason the comp on mine does not give you the miles left in the tank option, which I do miss.

I slept in mine at ssuk this year, crunched up a bit, not something I would want to do on a regular basis.

Only down side is they do roll about a bit, not the best handling car out there, electric windows play up on some, plastic blades on the water pump can give up, MAF sensors problems & turbos can give up, but I guess that can be a problem with all turbo cars that are treated badly 😉

alexonabike

Well, I'm 5'8" with my shoes off so It shouldn't be too bad if I kip diagonally!

I know the TDi is a great engine, but I like the idea of the relative simplicity that comes with a petrol engine. Ok, so there is the ignition circuit, but no turbo is a bonus – seeing as I have had to shell out the best part of a grand on my current TDi.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘10 year old VW Golf Estate – can you get a bike in?’ is closed to new replies.