Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • 10 year old van MOT – how much?
  • glasgowdan
    Free Member

Got a bill of around £800 for my MOT 🙁 It’s a new tyre, replace all brake pipes, replace two suspension swing arms (as the bushes are failing) and sort a couple of bulbs.

The last 3 MOTs have been quite tame so I have done alright with this van, just hate the thought of waving goodbye to that much cash, being a Scot and all!

Anyone else have any MOT pass prices to make me feel better or worse?

Nearside Rear Registration plate lamp not working (1.1.C.1d)
    Offside Front Anti-roll bar linkage ball joint dust cover excessively damaged so that it no longer prevents the ingress of dirt (2.4.G.2)
    Nearside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Suspension arm rubber bush deteriorated resulting in excessive movement (2.4.G.2)
    Offside Front Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to rear (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded to rear (3.6.B.2c)
    Central Brake pipe excessively corroded across rear axle (3.6.B.2c)
    Rear Brake pipe excessively corroded to compensater (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded under bonnet (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded under bonnet (3.6.B.2c)

legend
    Free Member

Are you allowed a 10 year old van in Lenzie?

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I got tall front gates fitted to hide it

tomhoward

Aren’t MOTs about £40?

It’s the cost of getting the car to a standard where it can pass that’s the sting in the tail

maccruiskeen

Got a bill of around £800 for my MOT

Pffff. Paid over £2k for mot work last year, and over £700 this year – Its a van though – they earn money. 🙂

jam-bo

I had an old nova once that got to three pages on the fail sheet. When he’d finished listing it, I asked if anything passed. Rear-view mirror was ok was the response…

Sundayjumper

Anyone else have any MOT pass prices to make me feel better or worse?

14 year old van, with 248k miles.

MOT was £29.99. Passed with no advisories.

Does that help ??

What van is it ? Can you do any of the work yourself ? Brake lines aren’t generally difficult, just time consuming. Suspension bushes might be difficult, or sometimes you can buy a new arm with new bush in place, that works out cheaper than the labour to remove & replace the bush.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

I don’t do this type of work on my own van…no facilities, equipment, time or will to do so!

MrGrim

Reason(s) for failure
    Registration plate lamp not illuminating the registration plate (1.1.C.1e)
    Nearside Front position lamp(s) adversely affected by the operation of another lamp (1.1.A.3f)
    Offside Rear fog lamp not working (1.3.2b)
    Windscreen washer provides insufficient washer liquid (8.2.3)
    Nearside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
    Offside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
    Nearside Rear Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
    Centre Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)
    Offside Vehicle structure has excessive corrosion, seriously affecting its strength within 30cm of the body mountings (6.1.B.2)

This was one of mine. That was expensive 😀

tthew

10 YO van here too. I’ve had it for 5 and I think the only thing it’s ever failed on MOT was a number plate bulb. And it’s a Peugeot. 😀

In between MOT’s though – that’s an entirely different matter, as it’s a Peugeot. 😥

maccruiskeen

I had an old nova once that got to three pages on the fail sheet. When he’d finished listing it, I asked if anything passed. Rear-view mirror was ok was the response…

A had an old astra that was similar – it was Christamas eve – had to scrap it, then drank the scrap money on my way home 🙂

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mine needed a pair of driveshafts, 2 tyres cause driveshafts failing had destroyed them, discs and pads all round plus service and MOT £950.00. Still, I’ve had it 8 years and other than tyres and services it’s not cost a bean.

chakaping
    Free Member

Paid about the same for various bits of work on my Vivaro this year, 10yrs old and 115k miles.

I don’t begrudge it as bits had worn out and now I know it’s in good order. Drives better too.

MrOvershoot

legend – Member

Are you allowed a 10 year old van in Lenzie?

Has Lenzie become that posh?

Me in the middle looking shocked at being handed the bike sponge by Keith Harris 1967 in Lenzie

timber

25 year old Porsche needing a steering rack, half the brake lines a caliper and a few little but specific bits, recon’ parts kept it under £2k and garage fabricated brake lines.
    Fortunately, it’s value was on the up, so broke even after 2 years ownership.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

My Volvo V70 passed it’s test today. Two bushes on the advisory list. 178,000 miles, I bought it at 150,000. All being well 200,000 seems achievable

simmy
    Free Member

I got a different van in January this year. My old van had 4 months MOT left on it but I knew it was getting uneconomical to repair.

When buying my new van, I mentioned my old van and the guy offered me £150 for it. I told him it was scrap but he said ” someone may want it for a couple of months ”

Being nosey, I put its reg into the MOT history and this came up. He had put it through an MOT 😯

Reason(s) for failure
    Brake load sensing valve seized (3.6.E.3)
    Offside Front Brake pipe excessively corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Rear front brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Offside Rear rear brake excessively fluctuating (3.7.B.3)
    Nearside Rear rear parking brake recording little or no effort (3.7.B.6a)
    Nearside Rear rear brake binding (3.7.B.1)
    Nearside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Rear Tyre tread depth below requirements of 1.6mm (4.1.E.1)
    Offside Rear Rear wheel bearing rough when rotated (2.6.1)
    Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded cross member/ chassis leg (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded cross member/ chassis leg (2.4.A.3)
    Nearside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded inner wing (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded inner wing (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Rear Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded chassis leg/ floor (2.4.A.3)
    Offside Suspension component mounting prescribed area is excessively corroded outer sill (2.4.A.3)
    Emissions not tested due to timing belt history (7.4.B.1)
    Advisory notice item(s)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded (3.6.B.2c)
    Nearside Front Brake pipe slightly corroded to rear (3.6.B.2c)
    Offside Front Lower Suspension arm has slight play in a ball joint (2.4.G.2)
    engine oil leak
    Nearside Front cv boot perished slightly
    Nearside Front and rear outer sill corroded
    Nearside Front coil spring corroded
    both front brake discs worn
    vast amount of welding been carried out
    corrosion in several areas
    more corrosion could be found using force

Think he scrapped it……I reckon I did well getting £150 for it 😀

myti
    Free Member

£1200 on getting a 1970 vw camper through

avdave2

Our 11 year old LT35 which frankly looks a mess with no two panels the same shade of blue needed the handbrake cable tightening for it’s MOT this year, that was it, none of us could quite believe it.

kayla1
    Free Member

You kind of have to offset the cost of getting a car/van up to MOT standard against the sheer PITA of buying another. £800 is a lot of wedge but if it gets you the use of the van for another year, probably more, without having to deal with the sort of people who usually buy and sell used vans then it’s cheap! Better the devil you know and all that.

I’d pay the garage to do the work and know that I had someone to shout at/poke in the chest if anything goes wrong and they get to deal with rusty fasteners and seized gubbins while I’m out on me bike…

trail_rat
    Free Member

Looks like a typical mot for an older vehicle that doesn’t get looked at through out the year

johnners
    Free Member

Did you take it to a new tester this year? It seems odd that what looks like pretty much all the brake pipes went past acceptable at the same time. A combo of “relaxed” previous testing and somewhat rigorous this time around?

LS
    Free Member

My 14-year old Relay failed its MOT earlier this year and the quote for getting it through was over £4,000 😯
    I’d spent about £1,200 on it the previous year on the ‘better the devil you know’ basis but cut my losses this time.

In decent nick it’d have been worth around £500. I managed to chop it in against my new van for… £500. And that was after the dealer took it for a drive and spent two minutes trying to get it to start due to alternator/battery problems 😆

teethgrinder

Sure there was a website for cheap brake pipes – you gave them the lengths and union types and they’d cut and flare them, then post them out. just need fitting. Quite reasonable ISTR.

trail_rat
    Free Member

I always laugh at the costs garages charge for brake pipes.

The mark up must be excellent for them or its a case of ” I don’t like doing them so I’m going to charge loads for it”

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘10 year old van MOT – how much?’ is closed to new replies.