Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • 10 ways to be a dick on facebook
  • leffeboy

Post to a link to content on a forum, lets say “10 ways to be a dick in your local bike shop”
    Keep posting that same link every two weeks until someone loses it or just blocks all content from your fb page
    ’nuff said
    🙂

bruneep

been blocked have you…

garage-dweller

That’s only ONE way.

Come on OP finish the job…

Anyone care for a wager on how quickly the STW/Facebook code repeatedly puts this thread into the OP’s feed?

leffeboy

That’s my nightmare right there

tjagain

I win this one 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

Followed up by ‘ten ways to be a dick on STW’

No 1 – spout bollocks about singlespeeding.

tomhoward

Bit close to home is it OP?

cynic-al
    Free Member

Leffeboy goes apeshit.

Love it

Mark

Here’s how it works.

We put a post on FB that links to a story over here on the site. FB’s algorithm then chooses which timelines that post appears in. We have 570k followers but posting on our page does not mean that post will appear in 570k timelines – FB makes that choice for us based on over 1000+ variables it tracks on each and everyone one of us with an FB account.

How many timelines a link post appears in is known as ‘organic reach’. If we target particular types Facebook user and pay Facebook to do this then this is ‘paid reach’. In recent months FB has been reducing the organic reach of all Facebook pages in order to ‘encourage’ them to pay to boost their paid reach numbers. However, you can ‘game’ the algorithm if the content is exceptionally popular as no matter what FB does to limit the organic reach it can not stop users from sharing and interacting with popular content. The more interaction a post gets the more it spreads organically.

Generally, when we post a story twice the algorithm will avoid showing it to timelines where it has already appeared, especially if it was clicked on the first time. This means we can keep a good story ‘alive’ and in timelines of people that haven’t yet seen it by reposting the link to it frequently. The more popular a story the more life it has and the more unique timelines it will appear in each time it is posted.

So, in general you won’t see a link post to the same story twice, but with over 1000 variables to play with there is a chance that a small number of people will see it more than once. But again, that’s down to the algorithm making those choices and not us. If you see it multiple times then FB really thinks you should see it based on your interests and behaviour. Ironically, negative reactions to a post (angry emoji or even angry comments) are seen by the algorithm as reenforcement signals and you are more likely to see posts from that source in the future. So, all the ebike haters who keep complaining in the comments of a post that ebike stories are all they see from us have inadvertently become the architects of their own situation by commenting. The lesson is, either ignore posts that you don’t like or hit the ‘see less of this’ link in the top right of a post.

Each time we post that link post it goes mental on FB and reaches a new audience each time. It’s been and continues to be a profitable story for us and we make money each time we post it.

This is how we earn our living from publishing content on social media.

Hope that helps explain things 🙂

tomhoward

So, in general you won’t see a link post to the same story twice, but with over 1000 variables to play with there is a chance that a small number of people will see it more than once.

It doesn’t bother me, but I’ve seen the how to be a dick article dozens of times

newrobdob
    Free Member

Just don’t use Facebook?

fin25
    Free Member

I feel left out. What are the 10 ways to be a dick in a local bike shop?

leffeboy

but I’ve seen the how to be a dick article dozens of times

at least. I’ll try blocking but I know that stw makes money off of traffic so I try to not block them but that article is getting insane now

Edit: I can see 12 comments on FB, 5 of which are variants of ‘not again’.

zippykona

What does the Facebook page do that this site doesn’t?

Drac

Hey! Are you still reading this thread? Good as it’ll increase your chances of that article to appear again on your Facebook. It’s never appeared on mine.

sbob
    Free Member

Only ten? 😕

wilburt
    Free Member

Oh dear, got bored reading the explanation but sounds like a good reason not to be on FB.

jamj1974

It will now Drac! 😀

hodgynd
    Free Member

What’s Facebook ?

joshvegas
    Free Member

The top ten bike shop dickery one does seem to be a special one for repeating itself.

I’m more annoyed that once again i’m reminded in didnt get into the best beards of glentress 7 despite being better than half of them.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Is it the extra 3mm of swipe to get past it that is the problem?

jekkyl

it’s a terrible article anyway. 😥

bikebouy
    Free Member

I’ve gathered the first from the OP’s post, what are the other nine?

DezB
    Free Member

Oh dear, got bored reading the explanation

Not just me then!
    I definitely never thought there was someone pressing a “Post this to leffboy’s timeline” button to get it to appear.

whitestone
    Free Member

Oh dear, got bored reading the explanation but sounds like a good reason not to be on FB.

Actually the explanation is interesting (appeals to my inner geek) but it results in the same outcome as yours.

DezB
    Free Member

what are the other nine?

I’ve got a 2)

When someone posts info on Facebook that you’re not interested in, reply to the post with just someone’s name, who you think might be interested.

3) Change your profile pic every time there’s a new news story or public event/holiday/celebration to show that you’ve noticed that it’s Armistice Day, or someone you don’t know got shot in a country you’ve never been.

Pook

bikebouy – Member
    I’ve gathered the first from the OP’s post, what are the other nine?

2. Forward those shit dancing elves
    3. Put a vague status fishing for concerned enquiries for your welfare
    4. FarmVille
    5. Candy crush
    6. Say you’re blessed all the time. Only one person is Blessed, and that’s Brian
    7. Post pics of your kids every. Single. Day.
    8. Boast about exercise.
    9. Pictures of your feet by a pool.

bikebouy
    Free Member

😆

Excellent, thanks for the dancing elves .. hilarious.

I am blessed, or blushed, or blooming at any one point during my day.

It is interesting though reading Marks explanation of how FB process flow the feed content. It’s like a whole new world of geek talk designed to keep idiots out and geeks in. But I like learning stuff like that, so I may do a bit of research of my own.

scotroutes

Nice explanation. Very appreciated.

I’ve seen that story pop up quite a few times though – and I’m pretty sure I’ve never interacted with it. In fact, given this forum, I don’t think I’ve ever reacted to any STW story repost on Facebook.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Lol @ Pook!.

Mrs Nobeers work colleague posted up on faceboak at the weekend, disgusted that some little shit at school had spoiled xmas for her 6 year old daughter by revealing Santa as a fraud.

The wailing and frothing at the mouth, and then subsequent demands for revenge, were an absolute joy, I’ll be amazed if she’s not at the headmistress’ door about it this morning.

Hell hath no fury like a yummy mummy scorned…

DezB
    Free Member

My kid’s school had to send out a message to remind parents not to join in or continue disputes with children on Facebook.

johndoh
    Free Member

What’s Facebook ?

Facebook is a social networking website and service where users can post comments, share photographs and links to news or other interesting content on the Web, play games, chat live, and even stream live video. Shared content can be made publicly accessible, or it ca…

Ohh, hang on, you were making a funny weren’t you?

scotroutes

revealing Santa as a fraud.

Wait, what?

whitestone
    Free Member

Facebook is an advertising website where users can tell the advertisers everything about themselves …

FTFY 😀

leffeboy

Is a very good point. It adds nothing so I’ve just unfollowed and blocked STW. Less a flounce, more just cutting the noise. Everything that is worth reading appears on the forum or came from here in the first place so I don’t lose anything

It’s fun though because we all already know that on facebook we are the product that is being sold and now we are being fattened up for the sale by being fed our own output (as it were). Feels all very BSE to me 🙂

I definitely never thought there was someone pressing a “Post this to leffboy’s timeline” button

oh… calls off hitman

and thanks Mark for the explanation. We do get it, it just gets tedious seeing the same stuff all the time but it’s easy to fix so it’s done.

johndoh
    Free Member

But the Facebook account doesn’t exist to talk to forum users, it’s to reach out to cyclists. It just happens that some cyclists are forum users.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

molgrips – Member
    Followed up by ‘ten ways to be a dick on STW’

No 1 – spout bollocks about singlespeeding.

Yea, we all wish you;’d just stop 😆

rmacattack
    Free Member

Just by logging into it your already a dick. Another point for a selfie and another for some inspirational quote. Then have another for linking someone to a game or competition .

bikebouy
    Free Member

Isn’t FB just used by racists and a place to go to find out about a family members birthdays?

I read that in the Sunday Telegraph BTW.

AlexSimon

Blimey – hit a new low with this one!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘10 ways to be a dick on facebook’ is closed to new replies.