Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 10 vs 11 Speed
  • thebatesbristol
    Free Member

hi all,

I’m looking at a new bike at present with a single ring at the front. One version has 10 speeds on the back block, the other has 11 speeds (both SRAM).

Are these rear blocks entirely different ratios or does the 11 speed just offer me a higher or lower gear? If so, is it the one that gets you up the hill or down the hill (I get confused between hi and lo!)

Thanks

r8jimbob88
    Free Member

I suspect the 10 speed is a 11-36 cassette and the 11 speed being a 10-42. Basically 11 speed gives more range at both ends

cokie

11 Speed (10-12-14-16-18-21-24-28-32-36-42)
    10 Speed (11-13-15-17-19-22-25-28-32-36)

I can’t imagine any bike being speced with 1x with anything smaller than 11-36.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

depends which 10sp, 11-36 or a few other combos
    11sp is 10-42 so much bigger range

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and some number comparisons

qwerty
    Free Member

If it is for use with a single ring then go for the 11 speed/10:42.

woodster

Don’t forget the 11 speed Sram will have a different freehub and will lock you into Sram 11 speed cassettes (currently pretty pricey if you do a lot of miles)

mikewsmith
    Free Member

check the hub but lots of freehubs can be changed, not sure if there is a XD only as opposed to the multitude of non XD fitting hubs.

Edric64
    Free Member

Massive jump in gear ratio going from 10 to 12 ? cant see me using a single ring

smatkins1
    Free Member

Make sure you’re aware of/have considered the longer term costs of running 11sp Sram. Whilst cheaper cassettes are appearing each year, the prices are still eye watering!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

also if it’s like American Classic etc. mu mate in a bike shop has a pile of standard free hub bodies that he has swapped off bikes so should be easy to pick one up if you want to go back to the lower range offerings.

edward2000
    Free Member

Hhaving both 1 x 10 and 1 x 11 on 2 different bikes i would advise going 1 x 11. But do be aware of the freehub ‘issue’ as above

Depending on which 11 speeed sram Cassette it is, it might be made from steel, which is hard, which means it’ll last a lot longer than you expect. Although the 42 tooth is still Aluminium.

thebatesbristol
    Free Member

Great answers all round, thanks all…

I ride about 13 miles to work each day and seem to be able to pull up Cwm Carn in the middle ring with only 8 speeds on the back at the moment so I will go for the 1×10 speeds and keep the replacement / maintenance costs down

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘10 vs 11 Speed’ is closed to new replies.