Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • 10 Under The Ben
  • Ceebug
    Free Member

So……my friend and I have entered 10 Under The Ben as a 2 man team to raise some cash for MND Scotland. This is my first race and I am looking for some advice…..

The start just looks like a massive stramash. Is there any point in getting caught up in the middle of it or is it better to hang back and then hope to pass people once it gets going?

Is it best to use clipless pedals?

Will I benefit from fitting lighter racier tyres than the XR4’s currently on my bike, and should I go tubeless?

Which/how many tools, spares and tubes etc should I carry?

Any other genuine tips that might ease my suffering?

Thanks
    Chris

Northwind

Lots of people know how to do these things well, on here- but this is the knobber’s perspective. We came about 10000th in pairs, and even then only because my teammate didn’t lose the will to live when I did 😳

Don’t take the first lap unless you can get to the frontrunners and stay there til the first descent, would be my most important advice- being in the middle of the pack on lap 1 was rubbish, genuinely one of the worst hours I’ve ever spent on a bike. Don’t anticipate being able to pass once you hit the singletrack, if you’re in the mobb- it’s not like riding in a group, it’s like waiting in a queue, everyone in front of you is stuck behind someone, so I’d have felt an utter **** trying to pass people. Everyone else seemed to feel the same.

If it’s been wet, there will be mud. Some parts of the course were just marked out across the forest floor so they were destroyed by halfway through- I’d have struggled in places if I was on racy tyres. Makes for some really interesting riding. There are also, you may have heard, fire roads. Oh god are there fire roads. So you want something reasonably quick but you will also want to take into account your own skill and the weather as far as traction goes.

A shelter for the pits is very good, you’re outside a long time. Something to clean your bike or at least drivetrain, if it’s wet- squirty hozelock thing is ace. If I did it again I’d take a spare prelubed chain! Just the usual sorts of spares though. You can swap bikes, incidentally. Mostly, just make sure it’s in really good nick beforehand.

I run tubeless… There are some slightly rocky bits on the track and I saw quite a few people flatted, but I reckon that comes from mistakes rather than it just being a puncturey track . I’d tape a co2 gun and a spare tube to the frame, it’s a long way round on foot, but you shouldn’t need a ton of spare tubes in the pits, maybe a couple. Depends on your pace, your skill, your tyres of course.

Take spare clothes though- I ran out, which in the rain meant spending a long time feeling rubbish. Changing jerseys and gloves was just lovely. Also, I was glad for warm clothes to wear between laps, but then it was bloody cold that year!

Mainly I would say- have fun. It’s just a bike ride, I let the race get in the way of that a bit too much.

boxelder

I’ve only done it once, as a solo, but enjoyed it far more than grumpy chops above by the sound of it. Seem to remember a fair bit of wider trail at the start, so a bit of pedalling effort avoids queues. The tyres you’ve got on will be fine. The fire road is also fine, with nice views and as a solo, gives a chance to eat. It was hot and dry the year I did it (2009/10?), so no mud. Didn’t need any spares, but I guess a spare tyre and some brake pads wouldn’t go amiss.

mr_stru

I did it solo twice. Once in lovely weather and once in not so lovely weather.

As Northwind said unless you’re fast expect to queue on the first lap. Even if you wait you will have to queue so you might as well get stuck in the middle queuing as at the back 🙂

On the basis of other events where I’ve been in a team I can say take all your cycling clothes. _All_ of them. Changing into something warm and dry, or clean and unsweaty is a godsend.

Definitely clipless as there’s a chunk of fire roads on the course and hence also super chunk tyres are going to be a bit draggy. However, if racey tyres make you nervous on things moderately technical then perhaps not as ISTR bits of the course were.

If you’ve not done this sort of thing before then make sure you keep eating and drinking. And bring things you’ll feel like eating after 9 hours.

If you can persuade a third mate along to have someone to chat to, fetch you food, bully you into going back out again then that’ll help a lot.

And take midge repellant. Not that it’ll make any difference but at least you won’t curse yourself for not taking it.

Northwind

“a bit of pedalling effort avoids queues. “

By definition most people end up in the pack. Bit patronising tbh- and it’s doubly annoying to smash the climb as hard as you can but still end up queueing.

Ceebug
    Free Member

Thanks folks, this is very helpful.

So, it’s yes to SPD’s and lots of clothes and sustenance. We only have one bike each, so no chance of swapping.
    I have never had any specifically ‘racy’ tires and my skills are probably about average, but I was thinking about getting something like black-chilli Race Kings and going tubeless.

Brake pads normally last me ages, but I’ll get some spares just in case.

We will have the wives there to bully us.

Any more tips?

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

I have done it loads of times solo, I do see that if your further back you will get a bit stuck in the pack and held up, the answer is either start fast-ish or not get worked up, either is a good policy. I think getting all worked up about being held kinda goes against the spirit of the event, it will happen if you start fast or not (unless you start really fast) just accept it and enjoy the next lap. I don’t see anyway round this in endurance events unless you have all fire road and imagine that would get a lot of complaints as it would be dullsville.

Tyres wise, I have always used semi slick type tyres, you can pretty much get away with them at 10 under no matter what the weather but if in doubt I would go for something fast out back and gripper at the front.

Clipless is the way to go, again as long as your happy on them.

Carry the usual one tube, pump, chain tool and mini tool that will be enough (hopefully!!)but have a few extras back at the start.

Eat regularly, use bottles if poss and go with 1, 500ml bottle per lap should stop you dehydrating or over drinking. Have a range of food types make sure you have some savory food as well as sweet foods as you will get sick of sweet stuff.

Have lots of changes of clothes, not so bad when your solo but when your in a pair you will get cold very quickly, if it’s wet, once you stop.

And enjoy! Will perhaps see you there as I go round and round 🙂

boxelder

Bit patronising tbh

Sorry, didn’t mean to be.

I was thinking about getting something like black-chilli Race Kings and going tubeless.

Nah, spend the cash on post race booze and nice food.

cows_in_cars
    Free Member

Took so long to write this you have posted again! Tyre wise, I run race kings, they are really good and ran them last year in the wet with out any issues but I would say they aren’t great in the wet and not the sort of tyres to jump on and ride in anything but dry conditions.
    I used them in a race last night, it was insanely wet it wasn’t fun! So I would say look at a race king rear and something gripper on the front or x kings.

Brycey
    Free Member

My first one this year, cannae wait. What sort of entry numbers are there?

Northwind

Maybe I’m a bit prickly boxelder, sorry about that!

cows_in_cars – Member

I do see that if your further back you will get a bit stuck in the pack and held up, the answer is either start fast-ish or not get worked up

Very much this. I got worked up, and spoiled it for myself- I just found it really difficult setting out going flat out, overtaking people up the climbs, then all that hard work just determining what number I took in the queue 😉

There’s good advice in my post beside the lack of enthusiasm, but the best bit is the last bit I reckon. As long as you do that everything else’ll be grand.

Ceebug
    Free Member

I plan not to get worked up at all. I am just going to give it my best shot and have as much fun as possible. I really appreciate all of your advice…..

spando
    Free Member

Meh not my cuppa to much fire road 😐

ScoobysM8
    Free Member

I’d agree with most of the sentiments above. Having done it several times to a mediocre standard, I’d say:
    yes, clipless for definite
    Go fast at the start if you’re feeling fit becauses it is possible to avoid the queuing on the first lap but otherwise if, as is likely, you get caught standing in a line waiting your turn to do the singletrack near the start don’t worry about it.
    Don’t accidentally bleed all the fluid out of your brakes 5 minutes before the start because your team mate will be cross with you when he unexpectedly has to do the first lap instead 😯

Other than that, aim to finish each lap with a grin 😀

Have fun. Wish I was doing it this year

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘10 Under The Ben’ is closed to new replies.