Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 10" tablet – £200 – which one?
  • stupot
    Free Member

My son has been saving all his pocket money for a while now, and I’ve been tasked with helping find the best one he can afford…..
    Basically he wants it for games (Minecraft, clash of clans etc) , would be nice to have extra storage space for movie’s and music.
    Any suggestions?

dawson

Bump – also looking for similar. Have found Samsung tab @ £179 at Comet, but it may be an old model?

CraigW
    Free Member

Lenovo Yoga Tab is quite nice. Better battery life than most. You can add a MicroSD card for more storage space.

stupot
    Free Member

The lenovo is top of my list at the moment. I really liked my Samsung but it didn’t last very long, first the charging point broke and then its battery life seemed to plummet, its practically un usable now.

dawson

Bumping this again

Looked at the Lenovo and was wary that it only has 1GB or 1.5GB RAM would have preferred 2GB – does it really make that much difference?

Also concerned that the Lenovo is quite heavy?

Open to other suggestions!

iainc

Typing this on a Lenovo Yoga. It is 11 months old and is now crap. It stalls and freezes all the time. Will shortly factory reset and take in back to John Lewis. Will replace with an iPad mini.

It was really good for first 6 months, I think it has been killed by android updates

beefheart
    Free Member

My Lenovo was the same.
    I replaced it with an iPad, which feels is infinitely better.
    Maybe consider a used iPad?

s1m0n
    Free Member

Looking at similar for son’s 12th birthday.

Originally looking at Android and at Samsung Tab S2 – he has android phone. I’ve had problems with Android phones and tablets not lasting long in the past (Samsung, Sony, Asus and Nexus) whereas the iPhone 4 and original iPad we have are still going ok.

Now looking at either iPad mini 4 or Air 2 for son (with contributions from grandparents and himself to get better model).

I moved back to Apple after 4 years away this year and find it much better but that’s only my views.

km79
    Free Member

If you can make do with an 8″ tablet, take a look at the Nvidia Shield tablet. £170 and built for gaming. Aside from the gaming side of things it’s also a great little tablet.

Cougar

I believe the Nvidia thing is the de facto choice for gaming, yes. It’s quite a lump though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/nvidia-shield-1287106/review

iainc

i bought my Lenovo to replace a Nexus that had been killed by updates. Given Lenovo has gone same way I’m not expecting much out of John Lewis even though it’s under warranty.

I should have just payed the extra £100 last year and bought an ipad.

Won’t have another android in the near future 🙁

canopy
    Free Member

i’ve got a linx8 (windows tablet, had 8.1 but now running 10) so i’ll tell you what is great, and what isn’t. (things to check for).

the most important thing is to ensure it can be powered and use USB devices at the same time. this isn’t so much a problem with 10″ tablets, but is most annoying thing i’ve encountered with mine (it doesn’t have OTG) so its worth pointing it out.

This will enable things like playing films off of USB stickers/caddy while powered without the battery running out, additionally other useful things like using a USB keyboard+mouse.

If I were shopping for one now I’d go for one with a bluetooth keyboard intergrated case out-of-the-box, and budget for a bluetooth mouse. then you’ve basically got a small low powered PC. (talking of which, I have no idea about games performance).

i do have an iPad however it has a very different usage and since it cant have its storage boosted with microsd cards or usb stickers or caddys its a dead weight in some cases.

canopy
    Free Member

* usb sticks

km79
    Free Member

Cougar – Moderator
    I believe the Nvidia thing is the de facto choice for gaming, yes. It’s quite a lump though.

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/gaming/games-consoles/nvidia-shield-1287106/review

You linked to the Nvidia Console not the Nvidia K1 Tablet. See link below for review of the tablet (which is no lump in comparison).

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/pc-mac/tablets/nvidia-shield-tablet-k1-1318312/review

Cougar

Ah, arsebiscuits. Good spot.

dawson

If you do a factory reset of the Lenovo it will probably be fine

Apple out of budget, and don’t want second hand

simonlovell999
    Free Member

This one: huawei mediapad m2 in 10″, I got the 7″ version and impressed with it. Use it for internet, gaming, netflix and music playback. Good battery life, camera, harman kardon speakers and can take a micro sd upto 128gb. The user interface takes a vit of getting used as no menu from stock but a google app can sort that

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/huawei-mediapad-m2-10-tablet-16-gb-silver-10144920-pdt.html?gclid=CMSk0P7Irc8CFcgp0wodNKsMVA&srcid=198&cmpid=ppc~gg~~~Exact&mctag=gg_goog_7904&s_kwcid=AL!3391!3!96711964699!!!g!166808972179!&device=t&istCompanyId=bec25c7e-cbcd-460d-81d5-a25372d2e3d7&istItemId=aqmtxqxqx&istBid=tztx&PLA=1&ef_id=VuT-gAAAABbJrQrB:20160926173608:s

prawny

I’ve got a Samsung galaxy tab A that replaced a iPad mini 1 and weve also got an iPad 3. The Tab A is probably the best, screen is better in the big iPad, but you can do so much more on an android tablet it’s mad. I hardly ever turn the laptop on now, I’d love a really high spec android tab but for now the one I’ve got will do.

donks
    Free Member

I got my lad a Samsung tab A and its great. Screen is not quite as sharp as the tab S but still damn good. The battery life is much better than my tab S though. Easily get 10-12 hours of continuous viewing on it. And it’s spot on for the budget

mike399
    Free Member

Another Samsung Tab A fan here…
    Bought it to replace an Asus that died and it’s been great for the money.

PePPeR

How about saving some money and buying one of these?

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4181468.htm

I bought one for my friend 85 years old with dementia, he loves watching his beloved MotoGP on it.

Speaker is a bit rubbish, but 32gb and as decent a process as many others makes this a good buy imo.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘10" tablet – £200 – which one?’ is closed to new replies.