• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by emyr.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 spped chain on a 9 speed chainring
  • rocky-mountain
    Free Member

Can it be done, will I die or some suchlike fate? Will the fact thats its silver and the others black mean I will not be colour cordinated or is it a tonal thing?

All sensible answers considered

Cheers

cp

It’ll be fine.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Just done mine and it seems a bit graunchy with my TA chainrings. Waiting on the shifters so will reserve judgement until I have them dialled in.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Been using 10 speed shimano chain with 9 speed shimano rings for the last couple of years, no issues to report, shifting no different to original 10 speed rings.

rusty90
    Free Member

Two bikes with 10 speed chains running on ‘9’ speed TA rings, both absolutely fine. 9 and 10 speed rings have exactly the same width teeth AFAIK.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

[/quote]Two bikes with 10 speed chains running on ‘9’ speed TA rings, both absolutely fine. 9 and 10 speed rings have exactly the same width teeth AFAIK.

Shuffles into garage and measures the teeth on the TA ring at 2.7mm and new XT 10 sp teeth at 2.3mm with digital verniers……

rocky-mountain
    Free Member

cheers, fixed it all up yet to ride though,will report back if i survive.

I have moved up from 32 to 36 teeth, any thoughts on how it will handel? extra voomph? disaster?

IvanMTB
    Free Member

Hi,

You will be fine.

Just recently I downgraded my 9 speed big chainring to allegedly 8 speed, married it with 10 speed chain, working as good as before.

Cheers!
    I.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

All fitted up this evening and seems to run quietly , although shifting to the large ring isn’t as good. Not sure if a clutch mech is keeping the chain tighter. Will unlatch it pre- ride tomorrow and see if that’s any different, rather than the 9 speed front mech or the narrower chain. But happy enough for now that it works.

emyr

10 speed chains should be “internally” the same as 9sp, but slimmer overall. Can’t remember where I read that though, YMMV.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 spped chain on a 9 speed chainring’ is closed to new replies.