Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 10 speeders, which chain you using…..
  • jonny-m
    Free Member

More to the point, I’m after a new chain for my new build but in the past have always used a SRAM powerlink, now 10 speed SRAM chains come with a powelock which I understand is not meant to be removed. I probably remove my chain after each long ride to clean it so I need a chain that has a quick connection device so which one is it to be?

rwc03
    Free Member

I’m using sram chains (one hollow pin, one normal) with a reusable kmc connector, which works great. If you want to stump up the the cash the kmc chains are supposed to be very good.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Ah so you can use a sram 10 speed chain with a kmc connecter. I’ve always been a fan of SRAM chains so this is good news, btw what model chain is it?

rwc03
    Free Member

1071 and 1031. I ordered a 1031 got sent the 1071 by accident, and I’ve been running both on the same bike (seeing if the cassette etc. last longer), can’t notice any difference in performance between them, but 1071 might last longer although I doubt it. If you don’t mind spending 30 odd quid kmc sl is supposed to very good.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Shimano XT

toppers3933
    Free Member

xt gears, xt chain.

jonny-m
    Free Member

Which model numbers is the xt chain, is it the hg94? and what connecter do you use?

jonny-m
    Free Member

jonny-m
    Free Member

Jeffus
    Free Member

yes HG94 mine came with a pin which I used and has been fine for 6 months of hard use,keep expecting it to snap being a slightly lardy 90Kg I think its done around 1500Km still going strong 😀

mintimperial

XT chain with a KMC connector thingy, not snapped yet…

mboy
    Free Member

I just use a 9spd SRAM powerlink on both an XT and SLX 10spd chains I have on my 2 bikes. 9spd and 10spd chains have the same internal width, just the 10spd has slightly narrower plates but not so you’d notice.

Anyway, long and the short of it is now I’ve done a good number of rides now with a 10spd chain using a 9spd powerlink, and they have all worked flawlessly together…

jonny-m
    Free Member

So, to sumarise, both SRAM and shimano 10 speed chains can use a kmc connecter to join them, which is good news, thanks for the help guys

tang
    Free Member

wippermann connex, comes with reusable link and has been faultless for 1 year and using 9spd chainring.

Janesy
    Free Member

KMC 10 SL silver – Wouldnt touch Sram or shimano chains.

takisawa2

Cheap one from CRC, not Shimano or SRAM. Works ok, & has re-useable link.

MrGreedy

More KMC X10 here – been using one on the road bike for a while and it still looks mint (yes I have ridden it :wink:). I was worried that I’d killed the KMC on my MTB in the Kielder grit last weekend but it’s scrubbed up very nicely too despite the ordeal I put it through. Reusable link worked well for cleaning too.

handyman
    Free Member

kmc slx10? the gold coloured light one its great also have the 9 spd version on my other bike, pricey but i get it at trade, bike shop pay is rubbish but the discounts make up for it

njee20
    Free Member

X10SL on the MTB. Also used XT, XTR, PG1071 and PG1091 (I think they were!). All much of a muchness. XT didn’t stay as shiny! SRAM don’t seem to last as well as Shimano IMO, and cost more.

uplink
    Free Member

I needed a 116 link one so ended up buying a Shimano SLX
    Not really what I wanted but it’s so far been faultless with a KMC ‘missing link’
    It survived last weekend’s gritfest at Kielder without any appreciable wear

Anyone tried YBN chains?

cp

I’ve just received a kmc x10 for the road bike from Merlin (v. Cheap)…. If it works anything like the x9 ones one the mtb, then they are a bargain. I nearly went with a coloured one from ribble though!;)

racefaceec90

just the chain that came with my duster tbh.i think it’s an sram x7 (as the rest of the gearing is x7.it has a black powerlink anyhoo 🙂

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘10 speeders, which chain you using…..’ is closed to new replies.