Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 Speed Zee Clutch Mech`s
  • chris_mbuk
    Free Member

Ok so im on a alpine160 currently and wanting a new rear mech and i think im after one of these ZEE Clutch mech`s, only problem is im on a 9 speed cassette and chain and deor xt 9 speed shifter, ive been told ill have to get a 10 speed casette and chain and shifter for the zee mech to work to its standards, is this the case then ? is zee a good choice! also if i was to choose this mech would i be wanting a wide ratio as im running a 22t ring and a 34 up front cheers!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

is this the case then ?

Yup.
    10 speed mechs are a different design to 9sp and have different cable pull ratios. You’ll need cassette, chain, and shifter to match it too.

legend
    Free Member

As PP says really. The only exception is that you can combine a 9sp Sram shift with a 10sp Shimano mech by running a 6mm spacer where the cable fixes to the mech

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

yea im thinking maby a 10 speed shimano casette, zee shifter, even though it says 1×10 shifter? but im sure that dosent matter if ur running a 22 and 34 ring up front as its a rear shifter lol and maby a nice kmc gold chain 10 speed! sound good?

raisinhat
    Free Member

but im sure that dosent matter if ur running a 22 and 34 ring up front as its a rear shifter lol

I’m pretty sure this isn’t a goer, since the zee mech is short cage only, and therefore doesn’t have the capacity for a double up front. Either ditch the double and go 1×10, or you’ll need a medium cage rear mech.

legend
    Free Member

or you can just setup the mech/chain so that you can’t use the smaller half of the cassette when in the granny ring

bigblackshed

Zee mechs are either 28t or 36t capacity. Really designed for 1×10 set ups. Some one will be along in a minute to tell you it will work with a double up front. Maybe on a HT, but I’d err on the side of caution with a full bouncer. Get the correct capacity SLX clutch mech. Essentially the same thing.

bentudder

Yep, BBS is right. You’ll get chain growth on a full suss bike, and with the extra chain needed for 2×10 added in, it’ll be pretty hard on the Zee. It’s probably just about possible, but the right way to do it is to get a mid-length clutch mech, and the SLX is pretty much perfect for this. Looking at prices on CRC, there’s about a quid’s difference in price.

Many, many, many moons ago, when I were a student, and top end bikes still came with rigid forks, I used to replace knackered rear MTB mechs with 105 short cage road mechs, mostly because they were about half the price. These just about worked if you were careful about matching front and rear shifting so as not to leave too much slack or take in too much chain, but adding in chain growth from a full suspension back end will make for either a too short or a too long chain.

So, word to the wise: go for a mid cage clutch mech. It will save you a lot of grief in the long run, even if it doesn’t have Zee written on it.

BTW, I have a FR Zee rear mech on a hardtail – it copes OK with a wide range 10sp cassette and a single ring. Wouldn’t want it to have to handle a cross chained 2×10 on the same bike.

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

I love my zee clutch mech and shifter works a dream
    Who really needs more than 10 gears on a wide spread cassette?

chris_mbuk
    Free Member

hmm i want a zee cause ive been hearing alot of good reviews, i dont like to mess around trying things… so ill prob just go for the 1 x 10 and get rid of my granny ring, and go 10 speed by 34t up front which is what i have so ill prob just do that instead 🙂

Northwind

The short cage is marginal, on some bikes, even with 1×10 never mind 2×10…

tmb467
    Free Member

Don’t forget the chain device…or a thick / thin ring

dsb181
    Free Member

Is it advisable to get the Zee shifter too?
    At the moment I’m running SLX shifter and an old XT rear mech (non clutch) still from when I changed from a triple.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

no why would it be?

dsb181
    Free Member

I didn’t know if the clutch system put more pressure on the shifter when changing, I have heard it feels more firmer/stiffer.

Northwind

If you can stretch to it the current Saint shifter is the best Shimano’s ever done, IMO… Lovely. Because they copied SRAM 😉 Positive and solid without being stiff. Though tbh there’s nothing wrong with the Zee one either.

Clutch mechs do seem to make the lever just a fraction stiffer, but it’s like the difference between a brand new cable and a week old cable, not something to worry about imo.

dsb181
    Free Member

Thanks for that Northwind. Now to find somewhere that has the wide ratio mech in stock

rob-jackson
    Free Member

I am selling an E13 XCX chain device and 33t stainless steel single ring – £30 for the lot if any 1×10 convert wants it

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed Zee Clutch Mech`s’ is closed to new replies.