Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 Speed XT – Long or Short Cage Rear Mech?
  • john_walker74
    Free Member

Going to take up the good deal on an XT group set here:

Action Sports XT deal

So the 2 x 10 set is 28 / 40 for the crank and being unfit think I will go for the 11 – 36 cassette. The question is which rear mech do I go for? I have a choie of SGS (Long) or GS (medium). I would prefer to go with the medium, but will it work with these gear ratios?

Nipper99
    Free Member

I would think the long cage if going for the set up you mention.

rugbydick

The medium cage only has capacity for 35 teeth.
    The setup you mention there is 37 teeth, so you need the long cage.

Edit: personally, I would have looked for the 26/38 chainrings as well if there is anything resembling a hill on your local trails, unless you’re a pro xc racer that is…

john_walker74
    Free Member

Yeah, really not sure about the chain rings, but the groupset is a good price so could just change them. Will have to have a bit of a shop around. I normally run 22 or 24 & 36 on my nine speed setup. Thanks for the advice.

rugbydick

Well, I’m up in the Aberdeen area and I run a 26 up front with the 11-34 cassette.
    That can be a struggle at times. I’m thinking of changing to the 11-36 cassette.

If you buy the groupset and then change the chainrings, you’ll probably end up paying more than just buying what you want in the first place…

john_walker74
    Free Member

I think you are right, think I will order this XT Groupset from bike-dicount.de

Can’t find a beter deal anywhere!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed XT – Long or Short Cage Rear Mech?’ is closed to new replies.