Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • 10 speed with 9 speed crankset
  • MSP

My plan is to get a right hand 10 speed shifter, shadow+ rear mech, cassette and chain. Plus put a 24 tooth inner chainring.

Will fitting a 24 tooth chainring to a 9 speed crankset work? or will it mess up the tolerances and ramp position?

Also with a 24 tooth inner on the front and a 11-32 cassete, will I get away with a medium cage rather than a long one?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

24t will be fine as will 9 speed cranks and 10 speed back. Is this on a 26″ wheel or ****yniner?

rob-jackson
    Free Member

32 with 11-36 would be better as in the middle position on the cranks. Inner position will feel shit on the 11t at the back

jasonm945
    Free Member

Triple at the front will be a bit of a strain for a medium mech I would have thought!

Jay

MSP

I certainly don’t want to go to 11-36, I prefer closer ratios.

For the medium cage, it doesn’t matter if its a bit tight, I am unlikely to be going large chainring to large cog very often, only when I am absolutely knackered and my brain isn’t working, but those times do happen and I want to be sure I don’t snap the chain.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

so will you have any other option up front than a 24t?

MSP

Yes 24t is the inner chainring of a triple???

crispycross
    Free Member

Just be careful with the narrower 10 speed chain. It might not ride properly on some 9 speed rings.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

MSP – Member
    Yes 24t is the inner chainring of a triple???

POSTED 14 MINUTES AGO # REPORT-POST

where did you say that???

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Monkey
    I’m building up someting similiar
    Instead of going with 24 try sticking with 22 and use an Ultegra 12-30 cassette
    If you have an XT 22/32/44 it gives a good set of gears

MSP

I may go to an ultrega 12-30 as well later in the year with a couple of months of long rides under my belt.

The advantage of the 24 tooth inner is in not having to drop down a cog or two on the cassette when going to the granny ring at the front. That is something that really bugs me, and screws up my momentum.

themoodster
    Free Member

As a general rule of the you’ll want a long cage for a triple, if you’re not using the big ring much have you considered converting it to a double?

What’s you motivation for adding the 24? Do you not need your lowest gear?

ndthornton
    Free Member

I just changed to 10 speed so I could get a clutch rear mech – keeping my 9 speed xt crankset. I changed the chain rings as they were quite worn. The problem is I wanted 22, 34, bash. But Shimano dont do these options in 10 speed – the smallest ring you can get is 26 – bit of an oversight I feel, certainly no good for the Malvern Hills where I live. I thought about buying new 9 speed shimano chainrings but they are not recommended for 10 speed drives.

So in the end I bought Blackspire rings as they come in the right sizes and are rated for 9 or 10 speed. They are also quite cheap on CRC
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=54369

I may be being a little naive here – perhaps Shimano are more diligent with their tolerances whereas Blackspire just decided to add “and 10sp” to the description of their old rings. After all – how can one ring be ideal for 2 different drives? (One ring to rule them all…..) so you would probably be OK with Shimano 9sp – but not optimal. But Blackspire do come in pretty colours 🙂

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘10 speed with 9 speed crankset’ is closed to new replies.