Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10 speed tech advice?
  • chilled76
    Free Member

Hiya folks,

I currently have a 3 x 9 SRAM set up and am looking to update as my rear mech got wobbly and my cassette is worn.

Couldn’t resist buying a deal that came up on here a couple of days ago and I now have a rear 10 speed sram x9 shifter and a 10 speed sram xx rear mech coming in the post to me.

Questions..

a) Can I get away with just buying a 10 speed cassette and chain and keeping my old 9 speed chainrings at the front with my 3 speed shifter and front mech?

b) If yes does it matter if I mix shimano and sram 10 speed cassettes and chains?

c) Ideally I want a 11 or 12 – 36 cassette, is there any concensus as to which ones to go for that are as light as possible without getting ridiculous on cost?

Thanks in advance

Paul

passtherizla
    Free Member

a) Yes

b) No

c)11-36 Shimano SLX is plenty good enough and about £35.

Hope this helps.

weeksy

Damn… i can’t answer now 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

It does, thank you.

Can anyone else confirm?

weeksy

Yes, he’s right 🙂

chilled76
    Free Member

Looking at the slx cassettes on crc there are 2 types HG62 and HG81

Quite a difference in price, which one to go for and why?

Also although you say they are compatible, would I be better running a shimano chain with a shimano blck given the option?

scaredypants

a) Yes

b) No

c)12-36 = no better than 11-34 and presumably heavier. 11-36 = broader range

(Edit. c) just actually read your OP 😳 – don’t suppose gear spread is a big deal if you’re keeping the trple up front. Carry on)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10 speed tech advice?’ is closed to new replies.