Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 Speed Shimano Mech, 11 Speed shifter
  • munrobiker
    Free Member

Well, after years of saying “for the love of god, and for the eight hundredth time, no you can’t run a 9 speed mech with a 10 speed shifter” on here I’ve come to ask the 2015 version.

I’m sure I’d seen a thread where someone ran a mix of 10 and 11 speed Shimano stuff- does anyone know if I can keep my 10 speed mechs and run an 11 speed shifter and cassette?

fibre
    Free Member

The cable pull is different.

Jtek do leverage ratio adapters, but no what you’re after unfortunately, unless I missed it in the list…
    http://jtekengineering.com/products/shiftmate
    http://jtekengineering.com/resources/shiftmate-compatibility

Just buy the right bits 😛

richP

I thought the cable pull was the same between shimano mtb 10 and 11 speed?

I hope it is as I’m running an 11 speed shifter and cassette with my 10 speed mech and it seems to shift perfectly (even in the claggy mud at the weekends brass monkeys..)

munrobiker
    Free Member

richP- that was my understanding. Transpires it’s slightly different (3.4mm cable pull for 10 speed, 3.6mm for 11 speed) but not different enough to be a concern. I’m going to try it. If I die, I die.

teethgrinder

I run 11 speed shifter, cassette and mech with a 10 speed chain and it works very well.

I ran a 10 speed shifter, chain and cassette (11-40t Trex) with an 11 speed XT mech and that worked better than a Zee mech.

I tried 11 speed shifter, mech, 10 speed chain and 10 speed cassette and it didn’t work.

Didn’t try 11 speed shifter with a 10 speed mech in any combination.

fibre
    Free Member

Fair enough. I knew it was a different leverage ratio, which normally means no go. I didn’t know of it working in real world scenario though (and perfect shifting).

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed Shimano Mech, 11 Speed shifter’ is closed to new replies.