Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 speed rear mech on 9 speed – will I die
  • MadBillMcMad

I need a new rear mech & I am toying going 1*n

I currently have a 9 speed shifter but there is loads more choice if I want to go Shadow+ on 10 speed.

So,possibly a daft question, but can I run a 10 speed rear mech on a 9 speed cassette & shifters ?

clubber
    Free Member

No and it really won’t work.

IIRC there is a solution using a SRAM rear mech and spacer at the clamp though

cookeaa

No and it really won’t work.

IIRC there is a solution using a SRAM rear mech and spacer at the clamp though

Yup, Won’t work, and by the time you’ve gone and bouts a SRAM shifter to do the bodge you might as well just keep saving for the rest of a 10 speed drivetrain…

You can of course just go 1×9, there are still lots of 9 speed mechs available but none of them are Shadow+…

asterix
    Free Member

sorry for a possibly stupid question, but is a shadow+ mech, a clutch mech?

Rich
    Free Member

sorry for a possibly stupid question, but is a shadow+ mech, a clutch mech?

Yes.

murf
    Free Member

Could you use 1×9 and no clutch mech but keep your front mech to keep the chain on?
    Considering this as I can’t remember the last time I uses my big ring and I don’t think I’ve ever used my granny ring!

MadBillMcMad

cheers,
    guess I will have to leave the from mech on as well then.

Follow up question,
    Do I need to do anything to convert my Hope XC hub to run 10 speed, such as a new Free hub body ?

Scapegoat

No, a 10 speed cassette will fit.

MadBillMcMad

excellent

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 speed rear mech on 9 speed – will I die’ is closed to new replies.