Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 speed questions
  • bobster
    Free Member

Contemplating 10 speed.

On paper SRAM seem to have the better solution (ie 2 rings up front). Anyone tried both?

Do I have any options yet for running Shimano with 2 rings up front? Could I ran SRAM cranks with Shimano everywhere else to get the same effect? Obviously no point if everyone tells me that SRAM rocks 😉

mboy
    Free Member

Shimano are coming out with 2 ring options, at least at XTR level anyway…

You could of course running any cranks you like, and simply put 2 10 spd compatible chainrings of your choice on them too!

carbon337
    Free Member

Sorry for hijack – has anyone got a 9spd mech working with a 10sp shifter? XT for both. My LBS who mainly do road bikes seems to think it would work.

damo2576
    Free Member

I was thinking about 1×10 – where i ride i rarely come off middle ring.

How would 1×10 work – would get be able to ride all 10 gears? or too steep chain angle?

carbon337
    Free Member

cant see how angle would be any steeper as the distance sideways across the cassette is the same dimensions – as in the casettes must be the same width generally but with an extra ring squeezed in.

andrewh
    Free Member

Carbon337,

My road bike has;

10sp rear shifter, 105
    10sp cassette, Ultegra
    10sp chain, SRAM PC1090 (I think)
    9sp rear mech, XTR shadow
    8/9/10sp rear hub, 105
    3sp front shifter from 9sp group, Tiagra
    2sp front mech from 9sp group, Tiagra
    Tune Bigfoot double cranks
    XTR sq tpr BB, UN91
    9sp big ring, Stronglight
    8sp little ring, Sora
    Alligator i-link cables, full length outers zip-tied to frame to achieve funny routing

Works perfectly well.

And 1×10 would have the same chain lines as 1×8 and 1×9 as 10sp cassettes are the same width as 8 and 9sp so no additional problems there.

ac282

I’m pretty sure new shimano 10spd mtb stuff uses a different amount of cable pull per gear than their road equipment. I think you could use a 9 speed mtb rear mech with a set of 10spd roadie flat bar shifters though.
    http://www.tweekscycles.com/Product.do?method=view&n=1074&g=0&p=65201&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Base&utm_campaign=TweeksCycles

dazzlingboy

Middleburn Duo anyone?

xanboy
    Free Member

I ran a 2 x 9 with Shimano 12-36 cassette and just removed the granny ring it was fine. I now have 2 x 10 XT 10 speed set up with 11-36.
    It’s workable no problem and unless you live somewhere with big climbs you’ll get up everything

nickc

Middleburn Duo anyone?

is quite ‘bendy’ even for a mild mannered XC jey boi like me, with just 3 chainring bolts, stood up I could feel it twisting.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 speed questions’ is closed to new replies.