Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • 10 Speed question
  • bikerjim
    Free Member

The width of a 10 speed cassette is the same as a 9 speed. So, would a 9 speed XT rear mech work with a 10 speed shifter and cassette?

boxelder

No.
    Different rate of pull (or summink) – it’s been covered a lot here if you search it.
    Here you go

I really don’t get why so many people are struggling with this. Everyone gets that you can’t mix SRAM/Shimano mechs, this is exactly the same. There are now 4 cable pull ratios:

– Shimano 9 speed and 10 speed road excluding Dura Ace 7900, Ultegra 6700 and 105 5700
    – Shimano 10 speed MTB and road groupsets as above
    – SRAM 9 speed
    – SRAM 10 speed road and MTB

Rear mech and shifter must match, there will inevitably be bodges to get it half working, but basically avoid mixing and matching!

jimr80
    Free Member

sorry for the hijack, but on a simular note has anyone ran a road 10 speed chain with the XT setup as I need to replace my 10 speed XT chain and was looking for a cheaper alternative.
    PS i’m aware that the inner plate are thinner on the MTB chains.

bikerjim
    Free Member

Cheers, although I still don’t get it, the mech moves in accordance to the shifter, it’s the shifter that determines the rate of pull surely! Also a 10 speed mech apparently works fine with 9 a speed shifter and cassette so why would it not work the other way???

jimr80
    Free Member

i was told its to do with the rear mech linkage and that its slight different to the 9 speed mech , hence different pull ratio.
    but try it and report back.

boxelder

The cable pulls around a curve/cam on the rear mech. The curve is different.
    Or something.

Can you go 9 spd front shifter and mech, with 10 spd rear and chainset?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘10 Speed question’ is closed to new replies.