Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 10 speed powerlinks
  • chvck
    Free Member

Which of these, if any, are designed to come apart? I’ve had a couple fail on me now as I seem to insist on taking them apart…

scotroutes

They’ll all come apart if you use a tool.

Or just use a 9-speed powerlink – it works fine.

chvck
    Free Member

They come apart but then break IME. I’ve had a couple where one of the pins has just dropped out of the non slidey part. Didn’t know 9 speed ones work, ta!

therevokid
    Free Member

sram (black) ones are supposed to be single use, mine has been apart
    8 or 9 times now with no ill effects. generally go for the kmc ones
    now as they’re (mostly) re-usable – check before buying 😉

the 11 speed ones are back to non reusable 🙁

dvatcmark
    Free Member

Or just use a 9-speed powerlink – it works fine

+1

Northwind

KMC ones are multi-use. And very cheap if you buy decathlon own-brand, same thing.

iainc

KMC ones work well for me. I do have the pliers for them though, which makes removal a doddle. The 10 speeds are reusable, the 11 speeds ones, which are quite expensive, are not.

chvck
    Free Member

OK cheers all! I’ve got loads of 9 speed ones so I’ll use them first 🙂

teethgrinder

Used a 9 spd for ages until it wore out. Then Halfords Clarks – 2 for £2.99 and come apart dead easily.

Superficial
    Free Member

Has anyone tried 9 speed ones on 11 speed?!

I was running 9spd powerlinks on 10 speed for a couple of years. I did have one break, but I suspect that was just bad luck / old knackered chain that should have been replaced several months earlier.

mattsccm
    Free Member

KMC. Re use them umpteen times, Why a tool, that’s not the point.

antigee

the tool makes it a 10second max job to open the link

i’m also a slow rider, can’t jump or do downhill, score zero on fashion sense, have a waterbottle etc etc………

another vote for KMC for 10speed SRAM for 9 speed but never tried them on a 10

iainc

Why a tool, that’s not the point

most of the times I undo mine it’s at home and the tool is in the toolbox and as said above makes it a few seconds to undo. Takes a little longer if I need to do it trailside without a tool.

tuffty
    Free Member

Kmc here too. I use the tool to remove at home and when they are new,as they get used it’s nowt of a job to remove them by hand.

whitestone
    Free Member

Like Ianc I have the tool at home and it’s a doddle, it takes longer to get the tool out of the toolbox. Not essential though. Obviously being a man means you must acquire as many tools as possible. 😆

I use KMC chains and unless I break or lose the powerlink I’ll reuse it until I replace the chain.

allyharp

I’ve never tried KMC but I’m massively impressed by the 10sp link on my first Wippermann chain. Far better than even the 8 and 9 speed SRAM ones (which are much easier than SRAM 10sp) and fully reusable.

Next time I buy a chain I know what brand I’m choosing.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘10 speed powerlinks’ is closed to new replies.