Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 speed mech with 11 speed shifter
  • davosaurusrex

I’m sure this has been answered many times before but my Google fu seems weak. I have a 10 speed xt medium cage mech with Rad cage that I would like to run with an 11 speed XT shifter and GX 10-42 cassette. Any reason this won’t work? The shifter controls the cable pull, limit screws for, well, the limits and will clear the 42 with the Rad cage or am I missing something?

davosaurusrex

Ah c’mon!

bigblackshed

You may find the answers HERE

davosaurusrex

Thanks so much.

RustyMac

Oh interesting thread. Sorry I can be no help to answering the question Dave but I too would be interested in the answer. Or even if a SRAM 10 speed rear mech was compatible with a 11 speed shifter and cassette combo

otsdr
    Free Member

Yes, the shifter controls the cable pull, but derailleurs may have different leverages. Also, the 11 speed cassette is 10% wider, I am not sure if the derailleur will be able to travel that extra distance.

My money’s on “it won’t work”.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have run 10 speed XT and Zee mechs with 11 speed XT shifters for the last 18 months. It’s fine.

I used the Zee with an 11-42 on a hardtail and that was fine. My XT I run with an 11-46 and I had to fit a longer B tension screw. If you have a RAD cage you’ll have zero issues.

andyl
    Free Member

You can use an 11 speed deraillieur with a 10 speed shifter so it should work the other way round in terms of cable pull but I honesty don’t know why you would want to instead of just buying a proper 11 speed derailleur as it’s a bit of a bodge, even with the rad cage.

davosaurusrex

Cheers all. More answers here;

http://forums.mtbr.com/drivetrain-shifters-derailleurs-cranks/xtr-rd-m9000-works-10-speed-drivetrain-947611.html

Experiences vary. Think I might just flog the whole 10 speed drivetrain, should get enough for an 11 speed XT mech….can’t be bothered to mess around with badly indexed gears

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 speed mech with 11 speed shifter’ is closed to new replies.