Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • 10 speed drop to flat bar conversion – how?
  • flange
    Free Member

How do

I have a cross bike build up with 10 speed 105 and avid BB7’s. The reach is a little too long so I’d like to go to flat bars and potentially bar ends, or an H Bar longer term. I’m planning on getting some cable MTB brake levers, but just wondered if there’s any way of running the 105 rear mech with an MTB shifter? Otherwise I’ll just have to nut up and buy the lot!

Ta

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

fit a shorter stem or some shorter bars

flange
    Free Member

Whut? Are you nuts? You of all people should know that a stem less than 100mm is a no-no…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Heh, well it’d save you a load of money.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

You’d need canti brake levers (or maybe some of those Avid ones you used to be able to get with the calbe pull adjuster) BTW. Dunno about shifters, but don’t think road and MTB were compatible.

therevokid
    Free Member

there are road trigger shifters around …. as well as levers that’ll
    work with road caliper brakes.

flange
    Free Member

I think you’re right. Might have to pony up for a new mech and shifter then (its 1x) and if I’m doing that, I may as well go hydro…

Alternatively run a layback Thompson the other way round..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

I think the seatpost idea is the best!

binno
    Free Member

I have a pair of Shimano road flat bars shifters for sale, pretty rare these days. 10 speed in silver. You then just need some v-brake levers (I have some for sale too) and disk brakes (bb7\s here if you need them).

Drop me an email if these are of interest.

flange
    Free Member

No you don’t you cheeky chappy, you just want me to fall foul of the UCI rules when I’m touring…I’ve got your number DTF..

Binno – will drop you a mail shortly..

binno
    Free Member

BTW: Happy to consider swopping for your road shifters, this could cost you nothing more than postage (unless you live anywhere near me and my travels).

flange
    Free Member

I’m not sure you’d want mine chap, they’re a bit scuffed up as they’ve been down the road – doesn’t bother me as they still work but still.. Will drop you a mail

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘10 speed drop to flat bar conversion – how?’ is closed to new replies.