Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 10 speed conversion help
  • cookci
    Free Member

I have a giant trance x1 2014 which i would like to convert to 10 speed (from 2 x10)

It appears to have 108mm spacing 24/36 on the crank and a 11-36 pg1030 cassette

Now im thinking i need to spend about £35 on a 42t expander sprocket and £35 on a 32t oval narrow wide chainring.

Does this sound about right?

Thanks
    Christian

wukfit
    Free Member

In theory yes, but…..
    You’ll probably have to buy single ring chainring bolts
    You may want to get a 16t ring for the cassette for smooother gaps
    You might want a clutch mech (don’t know what you currently have)
    And the chainline may be a bit rubbish as you’re using double cranks so you may have to play around with bb spacers and chainring spacers

cookci
    Free Member

Thanks. I guess there are different types of bolts also?!
    Some of the chainrings say they have built in spacing… would this not be sufficient?

wicki
    Free Member

having tried the 1x craze from 3 x 9 I would say save your dosh and leave well allone.

cp

having tried the 1x craze from 3 x 9 I would say save your dosh and leave well allone.

And I’d say crack on, it’s a great change for me. Depends entirely on your riding circumstances, it’s not necessarily the answer for everyone, but as with most things is a balance or pro’s and con’s for each individual.

breadcrumb

Rather than an expanded is recommend one of the Sunrace cassettes fit about the same money.

cp

OP – for chainring bolts, just get ID single ring bolts from Evans for a fiver. Unless of course you need longer bolts for spacing.

Personally I find doubles a faff to make 1x though not impossible, you’ll just need to play with spacers to get the chainring right. Probably. Whereas the middle ring position on a triple crank puts the ring in nicely the correct place for most applications.

cp

Oh, and 25% off Superstar with code ’25K’, so your expander and NW ring will be cheaper than you mention.

nickjb
    Free Member

The superstar rings come with spacers built in for the smaller owners so you can use your existing bolts. When you add an expander to your cassette you have to take one ratio out which leaves a bit of a jump. You can fix this by buying a single 16t and taking out the 15t and 17t. Probably better to just buy the sunrace.

nickjb
    Free Member

The superstar rings come with spacers built in for the smaller ones so you can use your existing bolts. When you add an expander to your cassette you have to take one ratio out which leaves a bit of a jump. You can fix this by buying a single 16t and taking out the 15t and 17t. Probably better to just buy the sunrace.

cookci
    Free Member

some good advice thankyou.

if I bought a new cassette wouldn’t it make sense to buy an 11 speed and get a new shifter whilst I was at it (oh and a new chain)?

bigblackshed

OP.

I’d have another measure of your crank BCD. What make and model is it? 108mm doesn’t ring any bells with me nor Google. 104 x 4, or 110 x 5.

And your 10 speed rear mech won’t work on an 11 speed cassette. With or without an 11 speed shifter.

7,8,9 speed all work together. 10 speed works with 10 speed, 11 speed with 11 speed. Shimano’s and SRAM don’t mix on the rear. Some bits do but it’s a few odd bits.

nickjb
    Free Member

if I bought a new cassette wouldn’t it make sense to buy an 11 speed and get a new shifter whilst I was at it (oh and a new chain)?

You’ll probably need a new chain anyway unless your current one is very new. Might be worth going 11 speed but it will add a bit of cost. New shifter and mech as well and the cassettes are more expensive. For a trial I’d stick with 10. You are only changing wear items that need changing periodically anyway so you can always try something else next time.

munrobiker
    Free Member

And your 10 speed rear mech won’t work on an 11 speed cassette. With or without an 11 speed shifter.

If you’re running Shimano this isn’t true. I run an XT M8000 11 speed shifter with a Zee rear mech with no adaptations or issues.

To convert to 11 speed you will need-

Chain (105, £17 from Tweeks Cycles)
    Cassette (Sunrace, £51 from ebay )
    Shifter (SLX, £30 from Tweeks )
    NW Chainring (Blackspire, £18 from CRC )

Note that with the crank you have you will have to lightly file the crank to get it to work with a 32t ring. You may want to consider running a 34t ring, which will work nicely with that massive Sunrace cassette. You can get them cheaply from someone like Uberbike

cookci
    Free Member

I think it must be 104×4

Probably stick with 1×10 with the sunrace cassette 🙂 thanks for all the advice

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘10 speed conversion help’ is closed to new replies.