Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10 speed chainrings on 9 speed XT Cranks?
  • scud
    Free Member

I am building a new bike and wanted to use 10 speed XT groupset, i’ve fitted 10 speed cassette, both mechs and shifters, but after having been adviced by my LBS it would be fine, i have just purchased granny and middle 10 speed chainrings and along with a bashguard, fitted them to my old 9 speed XT cranks.

It seemed fine at first, but now the chain keeps getting caught and stuck between the granny and middle ring? Is the spacing between the 2 rings different on 10 speed cranks than on 9 speed?

If so, do I need to shell out for new 10 speed cranks?

THanks all.

rwc03
    Free Member

Probably I’m afraid, spacing is narrower on 10 speed shimano cranks

scud
    Free Member

Bug*ger!

passtherizla
    Free Member

you could have the chain on backwards? one side of a 10 speed chain is different to the other, with the ‘fat’ side facing out…

rwc03 – Member
    Probably I’m afraid, spacing is narrower on 10 speed shimano cranks

cassettes yes. cranks, I don’t think they are spaced differently.

There are loads of previous threads where people have done this with no issue whatsoever.

All you need to go from 9spd to 10spd is cassette, ,rear mech, shifter and chain.

andyl
    Free Member

Is the cage on the 10 speed front mech narrower?

Pretty sure that the crank arms are the same. Easy way to check is the shimano tech documents as they will list the part numbers.

scud
    Free Member

I’ll take a look, i forgot they had to be run a specific way round, but the chain gets physically stuck between the 2 rings and has to be wrenched out, which way round it was wouldn’t cause that would it?

andyl
    Free Member

here you go: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M770-10-3021_v1_m56577569830704680.pdf

Unfortunately no mention of the right hand arm. But the left is identical.

As they have the same series number I would guess they are the same.

Also the older XT 9 speed is compatible with (but differs in appearance) to the last XT 9 series: http://techdocs.shimano.com/media/techdocs/content/cycle/EV/bikecomponents/FC/EV-FC-M770-2693_v1_m56577569830621041.pdf

PS do you have the chainrings the right way round? (best to ask)

scud
    Free Member

99% sure chainrings are the right way round (paranoid that they aren’t now) but it is something to check.

I am using XT front mech and shifters, the new XT shifters where you can switch between 2 and 3X10 on the front shifter.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’d go for one of the chain rings being installed wrong then, you’re probably right about the chain width not making any difference thinking about it, a 9 speed chain will be slightly wider than a 10 speed one, so may not fit down the gap..

boltonjon

The likelihood of Scud having drank a bottle or two of wine when he fitted the chain rings is extremely likely, therefore the chances of it being on the wrong way round is high

In fact – he’s probably got a brake disc fitted to the crankset…. 🙂

tk46hal
    Free Member

What bike are you building now?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chainrings on 9 speed XT Cranks?’ is closed to new replies.