Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 10 speed chain with 9 speed quick link
  • stripeminister
    Free Member

As usual will I die?

I’ve just upgraded to 10 speed but waiting for the new 10 speed quicklink to arrive as I mangled the chain with a worn out chain tool so just used a spare 9 speed..

The chain turns and goes round ok but will I do damage to the cassette running it like this for 1 ride?

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m surprised you managed to get it to fit. i tried the same when i did my upgrade and couldnt get the link to fit.
    i cant say its going to do your chain any good and i’d expect it to be an absolute PITA to remove

mikewsmith
    Free Member

9sp Sram into 10sp sram chain. Been working fine

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

No, it’s fine. Don’t think I ever used a 10spd one on a 10spd chain. Hell, I think I may even be using a 9spd one on an 11spd setup!

big_scot_nanny

I am interested in this too. The 9sp ones seem a bit “loose” on a 10sp chain, which I guess is not surprising as chain is slimmer than a 9sp chain, but was concerned that it would fall off or some such. good to hear hob nob has no issues.

Kev

Mackem

I’ve used them in the past with no problems. The Clarks one’s gone on and off pretty easily.

robbonzo
    Free Member

Sram ones work fine, I broke one and swapped it for a clarks one and that doesnt, was making the chain jump in the smallest cog, just got 2 KMC ones for £4.99 at halfords and they do the trick too.

Yetiman
    Free Member

I’m running a Sram PC1051 10 speed chain with a 9 speed quick link and I’m not having any issues at all. I can’t recall the make of the quick link though.

Edit – with a Race Face NW ring, XT cassette and Hope T-Rex.

cookeaa

also interested, I’ve got a load of new 10 speed bits to go on, including a Shimano Chain (probably not a wise choice) I got a KMC 10spd quick link as the SRAM ones are apparently non-reusable?

But I also have quite a few 9 speed SRAM quick links still, as I’ve now got a couple of TT chainrings to choose from it might be handy to have a short section of chain to “Splice” when using the bigger ring, so I’m not using a slacker chain with the smaller ring… Anyone else do this?

scotroutes

They work just fine. I discovered this after breaking a link plate on a ride with my (Shimano 10-speed) Amazon and only finding a SRAM 9-speed link in my little bag of spares. It’s been on ever since (a couple of thousand miles later) with no problems whatsoever.

faustus

Definitely fine. Especially as 10-spd sram links are 1 use only, which is crap (and expensive). Have a sram 9 speed powerlink on a ten speed clark’s chains for a couple of thousand miles without issues. No extra wear or shifting problems.

munrobiker
    Free Member

I have a shop bag of 8 speed ones and use these in all speeds of chain just fine, including 10spd.

gonzy
    Free Member

i’m surprised you managed to get it to fit. i tried the same when i did my upgrade and couldnt get the link to fit.
    i cant say its going to do your chain any good and i’d expect it to be an absolute PITA to remove

EDIT: i just realized when i was trying to fit a 9sp link it was to a 8sp chain…obviously wont go on!!
    and i also had problems sticking a 10sp SRAM link to a 10sp SLX chain… 😳

i’ll get my coat…..

atlaz
    Free Member

Depends on the chain and link. I found a SRAM 9-speed link went fine onto a Shimano 10-speed 105 chain. I changed it a few days later but it was a fine stop-gap.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Got about 4 9spd sram links on me 8spd road chain – time for a new chain.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chain with 9 speed quick link’ is closed to new replies.