Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • 10 speed chain on a 9 speed train – will it work?
  • patriotpro
    Free Member

Super-dull question I know but will it ❓

Ta v.much.

Rorschach
    Free Member

British rail or virgin?

patriotpro
    Free Member

*Applauds rawsack*

German ICE train?

njee20
    Free Member

Yes

bigblackshed

Kind of. Obviously the 10 speed chain is narrower. I tried it and it wouldn’t “sit down” in the chainring properly. Less than 0.5mm. But it did skip when under a lot of pressure.

YMMV.

br
    Free Member

Why would you, just buy a 9-spd chain if you need a 9-spd chain.

crankrider
    Free Member

10spd chain is no narrower internally, only externally.

Its the 11spd chain that is narrower internally but only by 0.1mm

(Been looking at botching an 11×1 drive-train…)

In short, a 10spd chain ‘should’ work fine with a 9spd setup, it is only externally smaller to deal with the 10spd cassette’s smaller spacing.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

Yes

patriotpro
    Free Member

10spd chain is no narrower internally, only externally.

Its the 11spd chain that is narrower internally but only by 0.1mm

Interesting, cheers.

b r – it’s because i’ve had the whole drivetrain since new and it’s all really tired. I’m gonna go 2 x 10 but can’t afford to do it in one wild swoop. If I bought a 9-speed chain, I would only be buying again in the next couple of months when I mustered the fundage to get the rest of the drivetrain.

Cheers all. 8)

njee20
    Free Member

Kind of. Obviously the 10 speed chain is narrower. I tried it and it wouldn’t “sit down” in the chainring properly. Less than 0.5mm. But it did skip when under a lot of pressure.
    YMMV.

That just sounds like a worn drivetrain, plenty of people (me included) have never had any problems?

jairaj

If its just a temp chain you need just go on ebay a buy the cheapest 9 speed chain. If you are lucky you can usually get them for a few £.

That way you don’t risk the 10sp chain keying it self to the 9 speed transmission and not working when you go fully 10sp

crankrider
    Free Member

YMMV.

As above – something doesnt sound quite right there.

I would guess that even the 11 spd chain would physically work with a 9-10spd drivetrain, its only 0.1mm thinner, or 0.05mm each side of the chainring tooth – naff all.

br
    Free Member

b r – it’s because i’ve had the whole drivetrain since new and it’s all really tired. I’m gonna go 2 x 10 but can’t afford to do it in one wild swoop. If I bought a 9-speed chain, I would only be buying again in the next couple of months when I mustered the fundage to get the rest of the drivetrain.

Mate

£10.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=9911

And ride more, and wear it out 🙂

Plus if its really ‘tired’, a new chain probably won’t work too well.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

I run a 10 speed chain (KMC) on a 9 speed chainset, works perfectly

Scapegoat

Patriotpro email me. I’ve got a just under .75% worn SRAM you can have for postage and karma

gwaelod
    Free Member

is there a some sort of 8/9/10 speed compatability flowchart somewhere online – it would save everyone a lot of bother –

I’m trying to figure out if I’ll die if I install a 10sp XT mech on an old 8sp XT setup, the gradual intention being to slowly migrate it to a full 10sp set up as bits finally give up the ghost.

njee20
    Free Member

That way you don’t risk the 10sp chain keying it self to the 9 speed transmission and not working when you go fully 10sp

That makes no sense, the spacing of the teeth doesn’t change. The only reason not to do it is if you’re likely to wear that chain out in a couple of months, they are totally compatible.

jairaj

The only reason not to do it is if you’re likely to wear that chain out in a couple of months

Sorry crap wording. That’s what I meant by “keying”.

crankrider
    Free Member

That cant / wont happen.

Right:
    8&9 Spd chains = Exactly the same
    10 spd Chain = narrower EXTERNALLY because they had to decrease the spacing between teeth on the cassette to fit the extra gear on. – Use the 10spd chain with 8, 9 or 10 spd.

10 spd mech however = different story maybe – different cable pull ratios?
    11spd chain = 0.1mm smaller internally, not sure externally. 11spd only if you are being correct.

10 spd derailleur on 8 spd setup may not work due to cable pull ratios.

qtip

I’m trying to figure out if I’ll die if I install a 10sp XT mech on an old 8sp XT setup, the gradual intention being to slowly migrate it to a full 10sp set up as bits finally give up the ghost.

You might not die but your gears won’t work. Crankrider is right, the pull ratio is different.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Arse

But Thanks lads

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chain on a 9 speed train – will it work?’ is closed to new replies.