Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 10 speed chain joining help
  • bri-72

Based on some previous posts here, got KMC 10sp power link things to join a shimano 10sp chain. But just can’t get them to work, short of trying to file some metal off. I’ve used SRAM links before so I’m aware of the special Jedi mind trick that is sometimes needed to get them to join. But even that won’t work and to top it off have lost the Shimano pin too : o(

Any tips or what other 10sp links should I try?

The planned test run of the new build tomorrow in jeopardy (double sad-face)

footflaps

If they mate, but won’t slide into their ‘locked’ positions, you can try standing on the pedals to put some decent tension on them – this normally works if they’re really tight.

somafunk

They do fit, connect them up and to lock them together make sure the joining link is on the upper side of the chainstay and pull the brakes on and press down on the pedals – you’ll hear a snap as they lock together.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    mboy
    Free Member

They’re a MUCH tighter fit than a 9spd quick link, but mate them together, then press hard on the pedals whilst holding the back brake on and it’ll click in place.

bri-72

Cheers shall try that

theotherjonv

and get a tool to take them off again. Money well spent.

martinxyz
    Free Member

Was if from a purple carded ‘missing link’ packet? The campag one’s use this packaging. I wonder if it’s a campag one? (Not that I have tried a campag one on shimano or vice versa yet, although it would be interesting to try and snap them together)

Having just searched.. forget what I said about the colour of the packet as it seems to show everything and anything under different packaging by kmc!

bri-72

Brakes hoses cut and swapped over this morning, success. Even got some tubeless tyres onto my new crests. All going so well and then defeated by a humble chain. Shall get back on the case in the morning.

footflaps

and get a tool to take them off again. Money well spent.

There’s a tool? Never knew that – I just use a lot of swearing and grunting….

zangolin
    Free Member

Forget the KMC link – why buy a special tool to undo a quick link – really does defeat the whole point of using them.

Get a Wippermann Connex 10sp Link – always easy to fit – always easy to undo – never had a problem with them in the 8 years I have been using them. you do have to put them on the correct way up though.
    http://www.probikekit.com/uk/wippermann-connex-link-10-speed.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=google_base_gbp

neninja
    Free Member

I’ve got KMC 10 speed links on a Shimano chain. They are a bugger to fit the first time – the suggestion to get them seated and then stand on the pedal works a treat. Once they’ve been used for a while they become easy to refit, just the tolerances are very tight initially.

crftom
    Free Member

Sounds like you have the KMC campag fit ones

bri-72

Even my heft on the pedals didn’t work! But spent 15 mins joining the links together sans chain, and joining/unjoining lots to loosen them up. Now got fitted by hand. Must do same to my spares to loosen them.

zangolin
    Free Member

As above – buy a Wippermann Connex Chain 10sp Link – ProBike Kit seem to have run out of stock
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/wippermann-connex-chain-link-10-speed/

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

SRAM 9 speed (the gold ones) work fine and join by hand with no problems.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘10 speed chain joining help’ is closed to new replies.