Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 10 speed – anyone remember launch price?
  • nickdavies

Just wondering. Can’t remember myself, don’t think it was as much as 11 is now though.
    Pushed the button on a new enduro bike which seems a great price for x01 – but then I looked at the cost of wearable parts…. :-/

Think I’m getting about 18months out of a cassette, normally 2-3 chains is about it, then the new ones just jump. Not a massive issue when it’s £30 for a kmc chain and £50 for an xt cassette. However, £50 for a chain and £300 for a cassette??? That’s more than I’ve spent on a set of forks before! Hoping the price will fall before it’s time for a new one…

Onzadog
    Free Member

The price of 11 speed cassettes it what’s putting me off right now.

Maybe that will reduce when Shimano throws their hat in the ring. However, that isn’t going to fit the sram freehub body.

njee20
    Free Member

XX was more expensive than XX1. The cassette was the same, but there were more parts – 2 shifters, front mech etc.

XTR M980 was about the same price as it is now – cheaper than XX, but marginally heavier, particularly things like the cassette where the real price differences are.

So no 11 speed isn’t more expensive, you just didn’t look that closely at 10 speed when it first came out!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Manufacturing the XX1 cassette is extremely labor intensive, machining takes approximately three hours and tolerances are checked at each step in the process. When finished, the cassette’s weight belies its large size: an XX1 cassette weights only 260 grams, 52 grams more than an 11-36 XX cassette, and 12g less than an 11-36 Shimano XTR cassette.

When they move the cassette into the cheap end production it will help but then the weight will probably rocket.
    Fro the XX1 users I have seen the cassette looks to be lasting better than 10sp an the last ring is replaceable.

nickdavies

Yeah, never gone above XT level before on a group so it was a bit of a shock – kinda thought as XX1 cassettes were £300 that X01 would be a good chunk less. May well drop once X01 gets out to the aftermarket though. Fingers crossed they’ll have X91 out before I need a new one!

Will probably be more religious with changing chains earlier though – never really bothered too much before as it’s not a huge outlay to change an XT level cassette every year or so.

I’m happy enough with my current 1×10 XT /Zee /works chainring combo and don’t need the extra legs X01 will give me but if I build what I want it works out at not far off the same price as buying the higher specced bike off the shelf, so not a lot of point really. Might be a new X01 group and wheelset in the classifieds shortly!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

kinda thought as XX1 cassettes were £300 that X01 would be a good chunk less. May well drop once X01 gets out to the aftermarket though.

They wont as it’s the same cassette. (AFAIK)

tmb467
    Free Member

3D printing

It’s the future

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘10 speed – anyone remember launch price?’ is closed to new replies.