Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • 10 speed and shadow clutch mechs worth the investment?
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening guys,

9 speed front triple chain rings are in need of replacement and chain too. I can get an XT crank and triple 22.32.44 from CRC for around £116.

I’m wondering if this would be the time to make the jump to 10 speed? Costed it up around £260, for 10 speed cassette, xt shadow+ rear mech, xt front mech (I need a specific 10 speed right?) shifters, crank + triple rings, chain etc

I’ve read a lot about weak 10 speed chains, any truth to this? How good is the clutch mech at stopping chain chatter on rocky downhills? I’d be moving from Sram X9, to Shimano XT which I understand to be very crisper for shifting too?

honourablegeorge

Chains are fine, clutch is excellent, your existing cranks and front mech are probably fine with new rings on

darkslider
    Free Member

I’d be really tempted to go 1×10 if I were you, it’ll save you money and weight.

Could be worth fitting a 1×10 for now (pick it up in the CRC sale at the moment, you’ll get a rear mech, shifter, chain, cassette and NW ring for less than a £100) and see how you get on, you can always swap the NW ring for a double/triple setup further down the line if you decide it’s not for you and you’ll only lose the cost of the NW ring (which you’ll have no trouble selling on with little wear on it).

ticsmon

I’m with darkslider. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/shimano-xt-1×10-speed-drivetrain-bundle/rp-prod126347
    use code comp for 10% off too.
    I forgot to engage my clutch the other day and the chain slap was instantly noticeable.

robbo76
    Free Member

My set up is 1×10 Shimano slx clutch mech slx chain zee shifter raceface narrow wide chain ring all works brilliantly. Don’t miss the 9 speed triple set-up what was on the bike originally.

ade9933
    Free Member

+1 for 1*10 with clutch mech. Depends on how big your hills and how long your rides are though

darkslider
    Free Member

Ticsmon I thought of linking that bundle as I spotted it earlier while ordering my second lot of 10 speed gear for the downhill bike, but it won’t let you select 104 bcd for the narrow wide ring so you might have to pick and choose your own set up. There are cheaper narrow wide rings available than the RF one too, my Superstar one has performed faultlessly.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, i’d be really tempted by 1×10 or 2×10, but what kind of gearing/tooth setup would be best?

Current 22.32.44, with rear 9 speed 11-32.

Most rides climb around 1500 feet so I use the granny gear a lot on the steepest/longest climbs, and on some of the road sections to join up trails I do use the 44/9 to get some speed up.

Could 1×10 or 2×10 offer anything of a compromise?

That CRC bundle is a cracking price!

bigtimebones
    Free Member

I am using 32t Hope NW on the front and 11/42 with cassette extender on the back. Got me round Glentress Red with no bother at the weekend.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘10 speed and shadow clutch mechs worth the investment?’ is closed to new replies.