Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 spd road with MTB mech
  • zilog6128

I have a Genesis Croix de Fer which I mainly use for commuting but would also like to use for touring. I need a bit more range in the gears and reading around the best option seems to be fitting a long-cage 9 spd Shimano rear derailleur with a 10 spd MTB 11-36 cassette.

As I understand it this a quite a common mod on touring bikes/tandems so I’d appreciate hearing from anyone who’s done it successfully!

Is it as simple as swapping over the mechs and cassettes and using a longer chain? I have the Shimano SLX M662 Shadow in mind as it can be had quite cheaply these days. Will that work? Does it make a difference that it’s a Shadow mech? Will any 10 spd cassette do or does it have to be one of the new Shimano dyna-sys ones? Likewise will any 10 spd chain be OK?

druidh
    Free Member

I use a standard model XT 9-speed rear mech on my 10-speed tourer. I think it’s an 11-34 cassette though (might even be 11-32), so you need to check the overall range if you need to go to 36. I’ve used both SRAM and Shimano chains. I prefer the latter. Changing gear with the SRAM just seems so agricultural in comparison.

igm

Done it. 105 STIs, 11-36 XT cassette and 9spd XT long cage mech.

Works nigh on perfectly.

Edit: I wanted to run 50-34 on the front (XT cranks and aftermarket rings) so the total teeth took me to a long cage – still tight on 50×36 (but just don’t use that ratio).
    SRAM chain was fine, but the length they sell in one pack it right at the short end. Depending on chain stay length and largest ring and sprocket, you may need to run two (ok one and a bit) chains.

njee20
    Free Member

Will any 10 spd cassette do or does it have to be one of the new Shimano dyna-sys ones?

All Shimano 10 speed wide-range cassettes are Dyna-Sys.

As above, you just need a 9 speed MTB mech (and that’s important) and it’ll be fine.

Unless you have SRAM Double Taps, when you’ll need a 10 speed MTB mech.

zilog6128

Cool, thanks for the replies guys!

birky
    Free Member

Thinking of getting a road bike on the Cycle Scheme but would probably want to do something similar to the OP. Just for clarification if it had a 50/34 chainset and I fit an 11-34 cassette, would it need a long or med cage mtb derailleur? Cheers.

njee20
    Free Member

Medium will be fine, but to be honest I’d not worry unless you’re doing touring or regularly riding Alps. Day to day a 12-28 cassette will give you a good range and smaller jumps.

adyp
    Free Member

I’ve recently done it too in order have easier gears for climbing after undergoing knee surgery in June – I’ve got 10spd Ultegra shifters, a “9 spd” XTR M952 rear mech, and an 11-32 SRAM rear cassette on my road bike. Compact 34/50 up front. All works like a dream.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I’ve run 10spd STI and 9spd MTB mechs on four different occasions now and they’ve all had the tendency to overshift slightly, which required me to alter the cable routing to compensate.

Some people have had no problems, but I though I’d point it out.

swavis

I’ve done it also, 11-36 with a 105 shifter and a 9 speed long SLX mech on my Gryphon. Works a treat.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 spd road with MTB mech’ is closed to new replies.