Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • 10 spd road mtb parts comptibility
  • karnali
    Free Member

chain and caseete are wearing out ont eh commuter cross bike, i fancy a lower gearing bottom end.
    i have 10 spd 6600 sti and a shrot cage ultegra mech

looking at going up to 32 tooth on the rea o thinking of a sram cassette and a shimano mtb rear mech, will either 9 or 10 spd slx or xt shadow mechs work fine from the shifter?

thanks

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

new 10speed mtb mechs wont work, but 9speed Shadow mechs work, fitted an XT and an 11-36 cassette to a friends bike for the 3 peaks, using 6600 levers… so 32 and 34 cassettes will work.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

I thought the 10spd MTb cassettes were not compatible with 10spd road shifters?

Sram do a 10spd 11-32 road cassette that will slot in though (Apex).

Manchester-Trev
    Free Member

well they work perfect. see the thread on the 3 peaks forum, I answered the same question, there, and a few tried it with success…

roady_tony
    Free Member

what Trev said.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers

njee20
    Free Member

10 speed road 5700, 6700 and 7900 work with 10 speed MTB mechs.

10 speed road 5600, 6600 and 7800 work with 9 speed MTB mechs.

Rorschach
    Free Member

I run Ultegra 10sp sti with a Sram pc1080 11-32 cassette,a shimano xt sgs rear mech and a wipperman 10sp chain….and it works splendidly!

midlifecrisis
    Free Member

If you take off the Ultegra mech and it is in good condition, I would be interested in buying it. (email address in my profile)

GaryLake
    Free Member

Official line from Shimano at IceBike was that 10 spd road and MTB were not compatible because you don’t get the absolute shifting precision that Shimano would like you to have (this was more about putting 10 spd road onto Dyna sys)

What we took from that was it works fine and you probably won’t notice the difference. Not tried it yet but we’re planning on putting a road chain on some XTR and XT 10 spd later in the year.

njee20
    Free Member

There are 2 different cable pulls within the road stuff as I said though, it’s not as simple as ‘Ultegra will work’.

A 6700 mech with 9 speed Shadow mech and 10 speed MTB shifters will not work. Conversely neither will a 6600 mech with 10 speed Shadow mech.

Basically the newer groupsets with the hidden cables on the STIs will work with 10 speed Shadow mechs, the older ones with the external cables will work with 9 speed Shadow mechs.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Sorry I was talking about mating chains, cassettes and rings.

njee20
    Free Member

There’s people on WW who’ve run the road chain on an MTB, and found it works fine (as you’d predicted). So if you have a chain it’ll be fine. If I was buying new I’d just get the appropriate one though I must say.

GaryLake
    Free Member

Yeah to be fair, the 10 speed XT chain isn’t too badly priced but it when it comes to replacing it would be nice to be able to shop around and also use SRAM.

charliemort

Njee

A 6700 mech with 9 speed Shadow mech and 10 speed MTB shifters will not work. Conversely neither will a 6600 mech with 10 speed Shadow mech.

you’ve lost me there!?

Mister-P
    Free Member

Sorry njee but for once you are wrong. It doesn’t matter what series the road STIs are they won’t work with a 10 speed mtb rear mech. The cable pull on road STIs hasn’t changed for the rear.

njee20
    Free Member

Bugger, my bad. Was it just the front that changed then?

**hangs head in shame at Shimano knowledge fail**

Mowgli
    Free Member

Sorry to drag this up again. Is there a consensus on whether a 10speed SRAM mtb cassette will work with 105 shifters?

My 105 10sp cassette is currently working fine with an 8speed XT mech(!), but I’ll probably be upgrading to a road mech.

Ta

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘10 spd road mtb parts comptibility’ is closed to new replies.