Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 10 SPD bar end shifters only giving 8.5 SPD's?
  • mattbibbings
    Free Member

I have just put a shimano 10spd 11-36 cassette and deore shadow+ mech on my cross bike. The cross bike has dura ace 10spd bar end shifters and they don’t seem to agree with this new mech and cassette. The shifter doesn’t seem to be able to pull the mech over the whole cassette. I can only seem to get 8.5 SPD’s out of it.

Any thoughts/revelations for me on this one?

(FYI previous set up was v old xtr mech and. 9spd 11-32 cassette and worked sort of OK as mech was a bit bent)

cp

Road 10 speed shifters are not compatible with mtb 10 speed mech, the cable pull ratio is different in a similar way tot he reason you can’t use sram shifters with shimano brakes.

If you want to use those shifters you need to use either a road 10 speed rear mech or an mtb 9 speed rear mech, both of which have the correct pull ratio to match the shifters you’re trying to use.

njee20
    Free Member

He’s right.

cp

Except I meant shimano mechs not shimano brakes!

orangeboy
    Free Member

Much as above 10 speed road does not mix with mtb

9speed mtb rear mech mostly works with 10 speed road shifters
    I’ve done a few for people and they have been fine , the only one that has not is my own cx bike lol
    So its not quite fall proof.

Some new road rear mechs will happily work up to 32t on the rear block

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Damn it.

Two more questions then.

1) is there a shimano road mech that will cope with 36t?
    Or
    2) is there a shifter that is drop bar compatible that will pull a shadow+ rear mech properly?

I’ll do my own research but if anyone has a quick answer….

njee20
    Free Member

1) a 9 speed MTB Shadow mech will be fine
    2) not drop bar

mattbibbings
    Free Member

Thanks njee20

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘10 SPD bar end shifters only giving 8.5 SPD's?’ is closed to new replies.