Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • 10 spd 42 tooth Cassette fitting – I B-screwed
  • thestabiliser
    Free Member

Gone an’ got mesen one of them there Sunrace 11-42 cassettes, seemed like a good way of getting an extra gear at the fast end and not losing owt from the slow end by going from a 30 -34 tooth from ring. All good.

Went to put everything together last night and the b-screw on my old (but new) mega 9 XT mech (760?) didn’t provide enough adjustment, no panic thinks I, longer screw. After a bit of ratching and fettling found a replacement. trouble is the longer screw fouls the back of the mech hanger when wound in to the extent that its bent the b-screw plate (late night tired/pissed ham fistedness may have also played a role). Can bend that back easy enough as its steel but it’s also mashed the b-screw notch on the hanger so the that the screw has pinged off the bottom edge. The top pulley wheel is still a good bit away from from being free of the cog, maybe need to shift another 6-7mm to be properly clear.

SO new mech, new hanger, has anyone got a long cage mega 9 mech to work with a wide range cassette/expander? Or should I just get the angle grinder out and reduce it all to dust (as i was contemplating at 12.40 last night)?

i.e. before i waste more time on this should i start looking for a cheap med cage mech?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

That’s a nine speed mech isn’t it?

timbur
    Free Member

10 speed mech would help 😆

I tried a Praxis Works 11-40 cassette and didn’t enjoy the experience. It went up the cassette perfectly but on dropping back it help the top two rings which was a bit tiresome. That was with a 10 speed mech.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Yeah, but 9&10 are interchangeable?

timbur
    Free Member

Not when you are bending the rules at the top end of the scale! Shimano didn’t do a 11-40 or 42 cassette in 10 speed and you’re trying to make an older style 9 speed mech work with a longer screw.

Bite the bullet and get a new mech or go the whole hog and get some 1×11 XT stuff.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I heard the M8000 mechs work well with 10 sp 11-42

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Mmmmm. Could do without the spendy but unless anyone else has any bodges it’s looking that way.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, but 9&10 are interchangeable?

road, yes. MTB not so much. Unless you use a 10 speed flat bar road shifter. Or “fettle” it. Lots.

What does your entire set up look like? All 10 speed except the mech?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Aye. 10spd shifter chain cassette seems to shift ok on the other rings just tight on clearance on the 42 – on the stand, anyway. Remember something about shims but wasnt that sram – shimano?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

AFAIK both can be done with a shim, not sure of exact details as I’m not really interested. But IIRC MTB shimano pull ratios changed significantly between 9 and 10, from a road friendly 1:2, to am MTB friendly 1:1 (approximately)
    Trying to sort it is bodgery.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Just checked, cable pull per shift on 9 speed is 2.5 mm to move the mech 4.35mm for dyna sys 10 speed it’s 3.4mm cable to move the mech 3.95mm………

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Poo pants. Ah well internet shopping here i come! Cheers all.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

VICTORY!!!! – I think. Treat myself to a new XT mech. I have had remove a small bit on the mech though, looks like a little spacer/washer called the ‘plate’ on the exploded diagram – doesn’t look like it did a lot but doubtless will result in a meltdown of the flux capacitor and a fiery and untimely death, hey – ho.

mboy
    Free Member

10spd mechs weren’t designed to go beyond a 36T cog. In practice, they can be made to just about work ok on a 40T top cog just by screwing the B-Tension all the way in, but it does compromise the shift quality further down the cassette as a result.

On a 42T cog? You can screw a longer B-Tension screw in and bodge it so that it goes onto the 42T ok, but this screws up the shift quality even more. The only solution that really works is to cough up and buy a One Up Radr cage for the mech, which moves the position of the top jockey wheel so it swings away from the cassette the further up it goes, just like the 11spd mechs.

Personally, I got tired of bodging expensive kit so that it just about works acceptably, and bought 11spd. M8000 XT is only very slightly more expensive than the outgoing M780 stuff and it works brillitantly, no point bodging a 10spd setup when 11 is there at a reasonable price and works so well!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My bikes shifts sound like Mr Blooms compostarium firing up anyway so I’m not that bothered.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘10 spd 42 tooth Cassette fitting – I B-screwed’ is closed to new replies.