Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • 10 sp specific rear mech, is it necessary?
  • rOcKeTdOg

afterall, if the 10sp chain works on 9sp chainrings it’ll work on 9sp jockeys, the cassette is the same distance from one side to the other (only spacing between sprockets is different) and a specific 10sp shifter sorts that and you have a long cage 9sp rear mech anyway why do you need a 10sp specific one

or am i missing something?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

Pull ratio is different, eg it won’t index at all.

RealMan
    Free Member

I’ve been thinking that too, asked several people. Some say no reason it shouldn’t, others say the pull thing is different so it wont (edit: see above). If I go for 10 speed, I’ll buy a 10 speed mech, try everything with the 9 speed mech, if it works, send the 10 speed one back.

rOcKeTdOg

pull ratio?, but the shifters doing all the pulling isn’t it? rear mech is just a spring that’ll go from one side to the other pulled by hand, no “steps” to go through?

sv

36T ring too big for the mech? Maybe with enough b screw tension it might work? Maybe they arent all 36T though!

geetee1972
    Free Member

ROcketDog – that’s what I’m thinking as well, but will happily be informed otherwise.

rOcKeTdOg

36T ring too big for the mech

it’ll be 32T on my 29er though

scaredypants

rocket, relative positioning of anchor point, pivot and upper jockey must decide how the mech responds to cable pull, therefore can be different if designed to be

Also, word was when this came up a few wks ago, that 9sp mechs couldn’t cope with 36t sprockets (didn’t lift away from the cassette enough as it went across – presumably that could also be designed in)

no idea what’s really important though (ie may work, just not be perfect)

ourmaninthenorth

Rocketdog – the only limiting factors for mechs is (1) the number of teeth and (2) the ability to travel the distance left to right.

On this basis, I see no difference between any mech.

I’m currently running a 10 speed mech on a 9 speed cassette (with 9sp shifters) on my wonter road bike, after the old mech packed in. Works perfectly.

Pull ratio my arse, brookscycles.

rOcKeTdOg

hmm, might be worth trying then buying a 10sp mech if it dunny work

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Is that why Sram & Shimano dont mix?

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

9 speed mechs deal with the 9 speed ’29er specific’ 11-36 SLX cassette fine, apparently.

The pull ratio is the same as the SRAM/Shimano incompatibility. Shimano have gone from 1:2 to something like 1:1.8, and SRAM have gone from 1:1 to 1:0.8 (these figures may be wildly off, I’m not sure).

The real puzzler for me is: Can you use 10 speed flat bar road shifters with a 10 speed MTB mech?

rOcKeTdOg

9 speed ’29er specific’ 11-36 SLX cassette

i didn’t know there was such a thing? or did you mean 10sp?

singlespeedstu

the only limiting factors for mechs is (1) the number of teeth and (2) the ability to travel the distance left to right.

On this basis, I see no difference between any mech.

So you can use a sram mech and shimano shifter then…

bristolbiker
    Free Member

I’m currently running a 10 speed mech on a 9 speed cassette (with 9sp shifters) on my wonter road bike, after the old mech packed in. Works perfectly.

That is true of the last generation 10spd road kit. For the latest stuff, with the shifter cables routed under the bar tape, the pull ratio has changed, so if you use the new shifters with the old mechs the shifter will move more/less (I forget which) than it needs to in order to index…. so you need the latest generation mech with the shifter.

No idea about the 10spd MTB kit…. 😉

ac282

I think mtb 10 speed is different to road 10 speed.

joe@brookscycles
    Free Member

RocketDog: You’re right, there isn’t. It’s actually a 12-36 Deore level item (I just checked).

CSHG619236, RRP £39.99. Currently in stock.

njee20
    Free Member

I really don’t get how everyone understands you can’t mix SRAM and Shimano, but no one seems to be able to comprehend the 9/10 speed incompatibility!

Can you use 10 speed flat bar road shifters with a 10 speed MTB mech?

No, but you can use a 9 speed rear mech with 10 speed flat bar shifters.

The older Shimano road stuff is all the same cable pull as 9 speed MTB, it’s only the new 10 speed MTB and the 7900, 6700 and 5600 road stuff that’s different.

SRAM 10 speed is all the same, road and MTB, but that’s not cross compatible with 9 speed.

There will undoubtedly be bodges and workarounds, but basically, you need your mech and shifter to match.

It was being said that chains/cassettes/shifters weren’t cross compatible, but there seem to be a lot of new bikes specced with SRAM shifters and chains with Shimano cassettes. We shall see I guess.

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You should find answers to most of the above from some folk who have tried various combo’s here:

http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?p=7254872

rOcKeTdOg
    clubber
    Free Member

Nicely summed up from the mtbr link

I just set up a ten speed system on my bike using a mix of 9 speed and 10 speed parts. Since there is a lot of confusing and contradictory information about Shimano dyna sys 10 speed, I thought I would post up some compatability issues I have found.

1. Road 10 speed derailleurs and shifters are completely incompatible with mountain (dyna sys) 10 speed derailleurs and shifters. The cable pull by the shifters is different for both front and rear.

2. Nine speed rear derailleurs will not work with 10 speed mountain rear shifters. They will however work with road “flat bar” 10 speed rear shifters. Dyna speed shifters pull twice as much cable per shift as 9 speed shifters, so if you use a 9 speed derailleur it shifts two gears for every one push.

3. Dyna sys 10 speed rear derailleurs cannot be used with 9 speed shifters. Road 10 speed derailleurs can be used with 9 speed shifters.

4. Nine speed front derailleurs can be used with 10 speed front shifters, but do not work optimally if used with a 10 speed crankset. Nine speed front derailleurs and cranksets can be used with 10 speed chains and front shifters. A nine speed shifter can be used to shift a 10 speed dyna sys front derailleur.

5. 10 speed road chains are different from 10 speed mountain (dyna sys) chains. The dyna sys chain is a directional chain that is made to shift better with 10 speed mountain drivetrains.

6. 10 speed road cassettes and 10 speed mountain cassette use the same sprocket spacing.

It’s a PITA that road and mtb stuff is no longer compatible (or I wonder is the new Dura Ace compatible since that’s been changed IIRC).

rootes1

pull ratio?, but the shifters doing all the pulling isn’t it? rear mech is just a spring that’ll go from one side to the other pulled by hand, no “steps” to go through?

no it also has it own mechanical ratio in that for a given amount of cable pull it translates that into a certain amount of lateral movement.. that all depends on the relationship or the cable outer stop location and the attachment of the inner cable point etc etc

bugger really though as most 9speed rear can deal with a 11-36 so shame they are these incompatibilities…

smacks of sales – especial the additional incompatibility with road stuff

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘10 sp specific rear mech, is it necessary?’ is closed to new replies.