Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • 10 mile TT tips?
  • trickydisco
    Free Member

I'm doing a 10 mile TT tonight. Any tips/

What's best? start in big ring (out the saddle) or go up through the gears seated?

I know i have to warm up thoroughly

IanMunro
    Free Member

Go as fast as f*ck. If you haven't got snot all over your face and can't taste blood in your windpipe you're not trying hard enough 🙂

njee20
    Free Member

Just ride absolutely flat out from the gun, a 10's not really long enough to do much else! Keep accelerating until you're turning a high cadence, change up, repeat until you run out of gears!

FuzzyWuzzy

I used to stand briefly after the start to get some speed up and then sit down and go through the gears as necessary, I didn't used to sprint like a lunatic off the line though. Hard to give much advice really, it's mostly about how well you can judge your own effort (if you haven't got a good idea from training then just use the TT for experience and worry about the second one). I always found it hard to maintain concentration and would often settle down to a slightly lower pace than I should have and would have to keep reminding myself every so often :p

franki
    Free Member

Big ring it all the way (wind up to speed until you can spin the gear and then sit down) and keep reminding yourself the pain will stop in a few minutes. 😉

FuzzyWuzzy

Hmm you can't go flat out from the gun on a 10 (unless you mean ride at your FTP), it's going to take you at least 20 minutes (and probably more like 30-35 if it's your first), it's surprising how long 20-30 minutes can seem. Whilst I doubt you can actually blow on a 10 mile TT you can certainly overdo it and die a thousand deaths and end up with a much slower time than if you'd paced yourself.

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

You've done one before, haven't you?

Best not to ride with your brakes 'on' 😉

ourmaninthenorth

DOn't go flying from the gun, but give yourself a half mile ramp up to full speed. You'll finish faster that way.

But you will die a thousand deaths for 20-odd minutes. 😀

franki
    Free Member

I always found it hard to maintain concentration and would often settle down to a slightly lower pace than I should have and would have to keep reminding myself every so often :p

I used to do this too…

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Warm up before hand? Then bash on.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Warm up, warm up, warm up, at least 20 minutes of good high cadence spinning with a few big efforts in there too.

Rest as above really, if you can speak, see straight or dont vomit at the end you have not tried hard enough….

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

Ive never done one by the way. But most of my road rides are probably similar to TT's cos i dont go out for long but go all out most of the time. I always find i go faster coming home after 45mins out, probably cos Ive warmed up fully.

I dont know about the vomiting thing either, I always find my legs feel absolutely ruined before I get near that stage. Why is this?

trickydisco
    Free Member

I have indeed.. this will be my 2nd 🙂

This time it'll be on my planet x and not my old raleigh with the rear brake stuck on and that massive head wind.

Chas> best to start in high gear then?

tragically1969
    Free Member

I dont know about the vomiting thing either, I always find my legs feel absolutely ruined before I get near that stage. Why is this?

Weak minded 😉

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Try and at least drive round the course if you don't know it to sus-out where are problem bends might be and gauge, say, if the return leg is harder than going out – i.e. if you need to save a bit for the way back (or at least ease off a touch just before any hills/rises etc so you don't blow completely before the end).

As others have said, finding your own rhythm and sticking to it is the key…. and don't be afraid of the pain – it took me five more goes to better the time I did on my first go at the club 10, as I think then knowing how hard it was going to be put me off goign that far into the red a bit 😉

trickydisco
    Free Member

how about a good position with no TT bars? just keep my head down i spose?

or shall i gaffer tape up my helmet, shoes and arms 😉

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Chas> best to start in high gear then?

Start in your big-ring, and c.2/3rds down the block.

Thurman Merman's top-tips for a successful '10':

I know i have to warm up thoroughly

For a ten, mate, you should arrive on the start-line dripping in sweat.

Go hard for the first mile, but NOT balls-out. Build up to a steady 'plateau' of near-max effort (just below where it hurts) and keep it there for the middle 8 miles. THEN go balls-out for the last mile.

Keep your cadence high.

Get your back as low and flat as poss, and keep your elbows and knees in.

Concentrate. Don't let your mind wander (this is easier said than done…)

Repeat the following Tuesday evening.

And if you can't taste blood when you've finished, you haven't tried hard enough.

And if you beat 21:14 I'll buy you a pint 😉

clubber
    Free Member

I'll call your vomiting and raise you – if you don't pass out as you cross the line, you're not trying hard enough/weak-minded/etc 😉

bikerbruce
    Free Member

if blood hasnt risen too the top of your skin like sweat you crash over the line due to not gripping the bars.
    you need to have rubber on your chin as your face touchs the front wheel.
    if you havent WOMAN

finbar
    Free Member

If you don't die from overexertion Tom Simpson-style on the 9th mile and utter "put me back on my bike" with your last breath then you're a pansy.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Chas>21:14! that is mental

What is ur non TT bike time? (just as a comparison)

Simon-E

Make sure you know the where the turns and finish are. Get to the start nice and warmed up with 2 or 3 minutes to stretch/chat/fidget. I usually sip apple juice and water beforehand but no solid food for 2 hours.

Start steady with a lowish gear in the big ring (saves changing chainring) and build up speed. If you start too hard you'll be shagged out by the 7 mile mark, or maybe even after 3.

I don't go well using too high a cadence, but everyone's different. If it's a rolling course keep shifting gears to find a comfortable cadence but don't ease up the pressure on the pedals or change down too early, any speed you lose will be hard to claw back.

Stay on the drops, try to keep your elbows in and your back flat. Shoe covers don't make much difference (5 seconds over 10 miles). Concentrate as best you can on a strong, even pedal strokes and steady, deep breaths. Divide the course into chunks and just focus on the section you're doing, don't worry about what's ahead or a messed up corner.

Have a good one, I'm off to do our club 10 tonight too 😀

ThurmanMerman
    Free Member

Chas>21:14! that is mental

Not really, mate. There are plenty of faster guys than me around…

1.5 to 2 minutes slower on a 'standard' road bike? something like that? Haven't done it that often..

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

How much difference do you think having a light (sub 18lbs?) road bike with clips would make compared to say a 24lb 8 speed bike with flats?

Thats a daft question

Surfr
    Free Member

I'm still finding my feet but I tend to sprint for 30M or so out of the start then sit down and keep a low cadence. Concentrate hard on good peddling technique (perfect circles and maintain pressure throughout). Do all that you can to maintain a good aero position. I've not got TT bars yet so I just stay in the drops throughout. Try to keep knees and elbows in and stay low. If you are doing it right, you'll slot into the zone and just stare at that bit of tarmac 5M infront of your wheel as you grind it out, mouth gaping and sucking in air like a Dyson.

Me not looking very aero at all a few weeks ago.

I've since dropped the stem and improved technique and taken 90 seconds out of my PB, so I must be doing something right.

trickydisco
    Free Member

Well, just come back from it. Did a time of 26:32 which i'm well happy with. Head wind on the way and a couple of short hills. the last few miles really hurt bad. Much better when it's over

Surfr
    Free Member

Good going! Nowxlook forward to an eternity of trying to better your time.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘10 mile TT tips?’ is closed to new replies.