Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 10 Hr Mountain Bike Marathon Llandegla
  • Jeffus
    Free Member

I’ve put my name down for this event, never done any thing like it before,
    I’m going Solo as not to let anyone else down,
    I’ve tried to train for it but so far I’ve only been doing 1.5 to 2.5 hours 3 times a week, I’m guessing that’s not enough, how much training does your average bod do?
    For my bike I’ve tried to loose as much weight of it as possible, should hopefully be below 30lb Orange 5, don’t think I can remove much more from it. I’ll be running 1 x 10 32 to 11-36 and hoping it should be ok for climbing once my legs have blown. Taken my dropper post off and put the old Thomson back on which will feel strange after riding with one for nearly 20 months 😀
    Do you have any advice for before and during the race, eating, spare parts, tyres etc

Thanks 😆

boxelder

If first time solo, start steady. There’ll be a separate transition area for solos where you can have a plastic box of spares, clothing and food. Stop briefly and eat after each lap. Have lots of bottles, or a big bottle of water/juice to refill from. Use a saddle pack for tube/tools and ditch the camelbak. Keep smiling – No Fuss events are ace.

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks boxelder, some good advice, wasn’t sure how it all works, so I’ll get myself a box, spares wise I’m guessing tyres, tubes, chain, pads and spare bolts, cables, I’m trying to make my bike as simple as possible 1 x10 no dropper post , tubless stans, I’ll fit new pads the week before,would you go as far as chain rings, casstte, rear mech?
    Drinks would you use the sports ones available, I normally just have water, but I’m not riding for 10 hours,
    I’m aiming for 5-7 laps, is this a realistic aim for a newbie.

Thanks

uplink
    Free Member

I wouldn’t change anything on your bike the week before
    Have it all sorted and tested 2 weeks beforehand and then leave it alone

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks uplink, just been checking the bike over, chain etc looks good, pads are still fine, so will leave well alone and check again closer to the time, XT chain and XT cassette have done about 1600Km is that high mileage? normally change mine 0nce a year 😀
    How about bike set up I normally run about 30% sag would I go more like 20-25% to make the bike better on the climbs, ??
    Thanks

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

You are not going to be bothering the podium so just leave your bike the way it is and go ride the thing for 10 hours and have a bit of fun.

Jeffus
    Free Member

I know Surrunded By Zulus, I won’t come anywhere near any podium unless I collapse on to it as I’m passing it 😀
    I am going purely for fun but still want to do my best, I’m not too serious about winning in the Degla dash race I did divert over the table top jumps and had a pop off them on my way through, I think I lost about 4 places because of that 😆 I’m just an old fat duffer trying to enjoy myself 😀

arrpee
    Free Member

If you’ve not been going nuts with the training, cramp and plain old fatigue are likely to be your worst enemies. Make sure you take in loads of carbs and fluids the day before and have a big bowl of porridge for breakfast on the day. Whatever you drink during the race, make sure it contains electrolytes. Also recommend gulping down a couple of gels per hour in addition to whatever you’re drinking; I find Torq to be the most palatable. Have a couple of caffeinated gels handy, as they can perk you up quite dramatically if you’re flagging.

If cramp does set in, some people swear that knocking back a sachet of malt vinegar works wonders. Seemed to work for me at my first 10 Under, but it may have been a fluke.

Given that you’re in it for the craic, you may as well keep your dropper post on. Enjoy!

Jeffus
    Free Member

Thanks arrpee I will try and pick up some gels and look for the Torq drinks , I only every use water so should be quite a difference, may have to change my ways 😀 can’t stand vinegar so it will be a funny face contest if I try that 😯 so if anyone see’s an Orange 5 rider gurning at the side of the trail it will be me 😀
    Going to ride and record the GP instaed of sitting on my butt. 😀

soulrider
    Free Member

After Soloing Kirro myself and the Girly are racing as a pair..
    really looking forward to it.
    I second the vote for No Fuss Events. they are lots of fun and organised by a bunch of good guys.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘10 Hr Mountain Bike Marathon Llandegla’ is closed to new replies.