Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • 10 days holidays – wtf?
  • Kryton57

Why so expensive? We decided last year that 7 days in an atypical Menorcan resort wasn’t quite enough, but 14 is way too much. So – approx prices for the 4 of us (all in):

7 days – £2200
    10 days – £3800
    14 days – £3950

Seems a massive differential for 10 days, but why?

martinhutch

Presumably if they sell you a room for 10 days, they are unlikely to sell the remaining four days to punters who generally will book a minimum 7 night trip. So the 10 day is the same price as the 14 day minus the cost of the inclusive meals/services for the four missing nights.

aP
    Free Member

Because people tend to go for 7 or 14 days holiday, by only doing 10 they’re losing money on the 4 days that you’re not there.
    And I thought you were in sales?

IHN

Because most people arrive/leave on a 7/14 day basis, so by staying 10 days you effectively block out the room for a full 14.

binners

Have a look at different places with different companies.

We went away for ten days last year as we found the opposite. Looking at the costs of 7 days or 10 – with Jet 2 Holidays to Fuertoventura – the price difference was so negligible, going for 10 days was a complete no brainer

grenosteve
    Free Member

The rooms etc… that you take up for a week and a half (£3800) could be sold to two families going for just one week each (£2200 + £2200)…

hard to find another family who want a week and a half to even it out over the 3 weeks I guess.

jam-bo

Most would go for 7 or 14. 10 days means a room empty for 4 days.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Because the hotel can’t practically let those rooms out for the 4 days you’re not there?

I’d imagine that most tour operators buy hotel rooms in weekly blocks. If you book for ten days you’re still paying for the room for two weeks but only ten days worth of grub.

RobHilton
    Free Member

It doesn’t fit in with the norm. That could be accommodation filled for the whole instead of part week.

Have you considered Centerparcs as an alternative? Suggest it to the wife sometime, see what she says.

ton

because nobody is going to turkey innit………… tour operators jumping on the band wagon. spain prices up by 30%

vinnyeh

in addition to the above, presumably having to run a midweek flight that will probably have nobody other than the Kryton clan on it, or buy seats on a scheduled flight for you.

allthegear
    Free Member

If it helps, I just booked 6 nights 4* in Seville for £280…

Rachel

rone

I guess you are moving away from the ‘norm’. There is always a cost attached to that. And maybe flights aren’t as cheap midweek.

johndoh
    Free Member

Yeah the flight costs have to be considered too – fly on a Tuesday for 7 or 14 nights and you come back midweek.

Go for 10 days and you risk flying one way at a peak time.

seosamh77
    Free Member

:

jam-bo

Are you driving there?

leftyboy
    Free Member

@allthegear Where did you book that? I’m hoping to book a trip to Barcelona, passport arriving in time allowing, so would appreciate a link. TIA

deadkenny
    Free Member

Package deal?

If so, try direct with local apartments or hotels. Ideally those that aren’t block booked by tour operators. Then they might have a lot more flexible dates and aren’t so fussed about a 10 day as they may more easily get locals or others to fill other dates. Plus you’ll probably be paying for the room on a daily rate, not per person per week.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Not sure how the ‘you’re room won’t be sellable for the other 4 days’ thing makes sense, flights leave and arrive on all sorts of random days, people don’t always arrive and leave on a saturday.

Anyway to get round this problem get a villa instead of a hotel, you can usually get them for part weeks with no issue. We’ve stayed in a couple of really nice villas in Majorca.

Why is 14 days too much?

john_drummer
    Free Member

7 days is enough for Menorca IMHO

Gary_M
    Free Member

7 days is enough for Menorca IMHO

Yeh we’ve only ever been there for 7 days and I’d agree but does the OP really need to go to Menorca. It’s a long drive/ferry trip.

pictonroad

Bloody hell, is that how much holidays cost. 😯

My kids better get familiar and comfortable with their local area.

I genuinely didn’t know. 😳

stumpy01

pictonroad – Member

Bloody hell, is that how much holidays cost.

I genuinely didn’t know

That’ll be in the school holidays I imagine when everything gets doubled (at least).
    This is something that my Wife & I are going to have to get used to now.
    BC (Before Child) we used to go on at least one sunny holiday a year outside of school holiday time & would generally spend no more than about £900 for the two of us, staying 4* all inclusive….I think the best deal we had was around £550.

dragon
    Free Member

I looked at the costs for a family holiday in Menorca on the weekend and it is pricey. I think it’s because the resorts tend to be a bit nicer than the usual grim Spanish ones and it isn’t a chav fest.

Eurocamp and their ilk will do by the day rates, if that’s what you are looking for. Or as suggested above consider a villa somewhere.

fergal
    Free Member

Camping west coast of Scotland, whats not to like 🙂

dragon
    Free Member

Midges & rain 😆

Actually the summer school hols for the Scotland in general is a rubbish time to visit IMO. May into early June and September into early October would by my picks for a holiday in Scotland.

allthegear
    Free Member

lefty boy – was just on Booking.com

johndoh
    Free Member

Perhaps the OPs kids are familiar with their local area too, but a holiday in a warm climate just relaxing by the pool and having a different experience to what you can get in the UK is what they want this time? You do realise the two do not have to be mutually exclusive don’t you?

FWIW, we are from Yorkshire and have holidayed in Cornwall, Devon, the Lakes as well as America and a few Med destinations and later this year are hoping to go to Australia.

TiRed

7 days in Menorca was more than enough for us! They are telling you the same. Two weeks in Majorca with cycling is a much better prospect.

pictonroad

Perhaps the OPs kids are familiar with their local area too, but a holiday in a warm climate just relaxing by the pool and having a different experience to what you can get in the UK is what they want this time? You do realise the two do not have to be mutually exclusive don’t you?

You seem to have added 2 and 2 and got 7 and 3/4. I’ve no idea about the OP. It could be for 4 train enthusiasts travelling to a 10 day modelling expo for all I know.

I’m new to families, I’ve never booked (and paid!) for a holiday for 4 people before, the issue is with me, no-one else.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Plenty of places SW France for very little, you can even drive there.

taxi25
    Free Member

Bloody hell, is that how much holidays cost.

Holidays can be whatever cost you want them to be. Just booked 10 days in a popular Spanish resort for Mrs Taxi and myself, £750 in July. Always use Booking.com and easyjet.

Kryton57

I’ll answer all the questions at once:

Its for 2 adults and 2 kids in school hols all inclusive. We like going “away” in the sun and sitting about doing bugger all except helping ourselves to booze while the kids splash about.

binners – Member
    Looking at the costs of 7 days or 10 – with Jet 2 Holidays to Fuertoventura

How were they? I’ve heard bad press about Jet 2?

prawny

We did Jet 2 easter 2015 to Majorca, minor transfer cock up aside they were fantastic.

Holiday was great, hotel was decent, Flights were brillant (captain let the kids sit in the driving seat on the tarmac when we’d landed when the youngest blurted out that they’d never flown before) other brits were the worst thing about it, I was half cut pretty much all week.

bigyinn
    Free Member

#humblebrag

Kryton57

@Prawny

Can I ask what the Plane was like? I know this sounds bizarre but I have issues with Flying and there’s no way I’m stepping into a BA cast off rust bucket.

I never realized they where such a big airline.

Ta

scotroutes

https://www.planespotters.net/airline/Jet2

Average Fleet Age – 19.4 Years

sadexpunk

jet 2 have always been excellent for us. more leg room, more baggage allowance and far smaller queues. its always re-assuring to see the big thomson and TC queues with people getting p*ssed off whilst jet2 have more desks open and we’re quickly through.
    i always say going with jet2 is part of the experience now and i wouldnt want to fly with anyone else, but obviously i know that if we find something else a lot cheaper we’d go against that.

*currently looking for another greek island hols for september

johndoh
    Free Member

We like going “away” in the sun and sitting about doing bugger all except helping ourselves to booze while the kids splash about.

How about Jet2 to this place then – by far the best AI I have been to (food is great, AI booze very good (including quite a few international brands) and they pretty fly out every day (at least from LBA) so you can choose whatever amount of days you can afford.

Kryton57

scotroutes – Member

Average Fleet Age – 19.4 Years

No idea if thats good or bad, but I’ve been in 747’s so it must be OK. Johndoh a bit reach for me but some editing of the search is getting more affordable results than we had. I’m fine with IObiza, we’ve been before. Sadexpunk – thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘10 days holidays – wtf?’ is closed to new replies.