Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • 10 days holiday to take riding places in the UK in one hit. WHERE TO GO?
  • Dimmadan
    Free Member

Did Scotland this year along with all of the 7 Staines trails and only Inners, Glentress and Kirroughtree stood out.

I like the look of Whinlatter Forest and Dalby but where else?

Suggestions and also camp sites if you know of any?

Cheers

sambob
    Free Member

Start in Wales, do some trail centres there, go up through the Peaks and do some classic loops there, then up to the Lakes.

DickBarton

Aviemore

MrKmkII
    Free Member

i’ve done this, back when i had a car. i had a couple of days in the forest of dean, some in south wales, some in and around hopton in shropshire some in the quantocks and some in exmoor…

druidh
    Free Member

Dimmadan – Member
    Did Scotland this year

All of it? Jeez – I’ve been living here for over 50 years and hardly seen it. You must have been going some!

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

I think Dimmadan is a fan of trail centres, so “where to go” is a fairly finite list I would have thought?

brakes
    Free Member

In a week in 2008 we did cwmcarn, uk bike park, lordswood, surrey hills, woburn, chicksands and thetford – quite an eclectic mix of xc, freeride and dh
    Loved it!

Philby

Exmoor, Quantocks, Forest of Dean, Black Mountains / Brecon Beacons, Cwm Carn, Afan, Brechfa would make a nice little tour with not too much travelling in between.

BitterBaldingFatty
    Free Member

I’ve done several trips around the UK, cramming 8 trails into 10 days, including travel between locations. I used this book to plan my trips. I see there’s a British-only version, but I’ve got the European one, which will give you plenty of ideas if you’re inspired to venture further afield.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

>Did Scotland this year,

Wow – what does ‘doing Scotland’ comprise of these days?

agentdagnamit
    Free Member

“Did” and “Done” should never be applied to individual mountains, let alone whole countries…..

Can be applied to trail centres though, which might be what the OP was referring to.

You can see a fair amount of this island in 10 days. There are alot of campsites to choose from though.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

depends where you are conming from but I would do a loop thru
    Scotland – 3 or 4 places with 2 or 3 days in each

Borders is always good and there is more than GT and Inners, I do like the Avimore area, Plenty of riding over the west as well and up into the north west and then there is Dumfries and Galloway.

Should be able to get a decent taster in 10 days

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Well for background we are all from Gloucestershire so Scotland for us is a 7 hour drive.

By “did Scotland” I did mean we went up and did all the 7 Staines and really only enjoyed a few.

The rest of the guys I ride with love trail centres and we are not map readers so any off peast adventure riding may be limited as we are all useless map readers. Hence why I need some advice.

But I have walked many of the Scotland mountains and most of them are not really suitable for bikes unless you want to carry them for ages at a time.

SurroundedByZulus
    Free Member

So you really didnt “do” Scotland at all then. You did the stuff that we’ve put in place to keep the English from going any further north.

chakaping
    Free Member

No wonder the poor guy doesn’t want to go back to Scotland, with this kind of friendly reception.

If it’s trail centres you and your mates like, go and “do” Wales: Coed y Brenin, Penmachno, Nant yr Arian, Machynlleth, Llandegla, Afan, Brechfa…

Have a look at Cadair Idris too, one bridleway up and down so not much map reading required.

devs
    Free Member

He’s done plenty of Scotland. No more is required. Wrexham is the place you are looking for!

pixelmix
    Free Member

By “did Scotland” I did mean we went up and did all the 7 Staines and really only enjoyed a few.

Tip of the iceberg there. The 7Stanes are all in the Borders / D&G area, so only cover the bottom 10% of the country. You want to come up again, do one of your preferred Stanes on the way up to break the journey, then head on up the A9, and since you like trail centres, stop in at Laggan. You can nip across to Fort Bill and ride one of the many routes there for a day trip (new downhill XC red route?), and have some great natural biking in the Cairngorms too. Then on up the A9 towards Inverness, and take in any of Golspie, the Strathpuffer course trails at Contin and the Moray Monster trails. Return back down the A9 stopping off as you please (nice riding in Perthshire), and you can break up the journey home by going to Kielder or wherever floats your boat.

HeatherBash
    Free Member

You are missing so much with that narrow minded attitude. Learn to read a map / navigate like any self respecting hillgoer and come back and do it properly.

Dimmadan
    Free Member

Thanks for the advice and for sticking up for me the few that did.

We do want to go back to Scotland as well as taking in the best on the way up and down England.

Cwm Carn and Afan are less than 2 hours from us so we ride these once or twice a month in the summer.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘10 days holiday to take riding places in the UK in one hit. WHERE TO GO?’ is closed to new replies.