Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • 10 Cloverfield Lane. The sequal to Cloverfield
  • mrsfry
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/guGBUaxtwxE[/video]

even though JJ Abrams’ wasted his time on that Star Wars. I will allow
    him to carry on filming (as long as the film is as good as the trailer)

cannondaleking
    Free Member

Looks good watched the trailer yesterday was a little dark and ominous I liked it.

I’ve been wondering since the first one when we would be seeing the inevitable sequel. Looks like it could be good

bigh
    Free Member

As long as it doesn’t have that idiot shouting all the time (did he die? cant remember) then i’m happy

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

That trailer really reminds me of a film where a group of people (dozen or so, maybe more) were trapped in a basement type affair with a stairs up to a locked door…think maybe there’d been a ICBM or Nuclear attack above-ground…can’t remember the name of it…The Hole or something?

EDIT: No, not The Hole

*Goes off to rummage around IMDb…*

EDIT (squared): The Divide. It was shite. 🙂

CountZero

Looks interesting, and with JJA behind it I’m pretty confident it’ll be good.

shermer75
    Free Member

Oh yeo, that looks really good! I love it when a trailer leaves with loads of unanswered questions 🙂

km79
    Free Member

Trailer is great, John Goodman looks good in it. Just hope the film delivers now.

jimjam
    Free Member

Cloverfield was not only one of the most disappointing films I’ve every seen, it was also one of the most horrible cinema experiences I bothered suffering through. Utter, utter shite.

I won’t be watching this funny enough.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

and with JJA behind it

😆

I really don’t get the love for this guy.

Cloverfield was indeed disappointing. Not sure I’d say “utter utter shite” (I’ve sat through Tarantino films after all) but it really wasn’t great at all.

nuke

Excellent news, really enjoyed Cloverfield 😀

GrahamS

Needs more lens flares.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Unfortunately he’s said its not a sequel, more a cousin. Set in the same universe but nothing to do with CF

Also reminds me of [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzEyprOx7-c[/video]

Klunk
    Free Member

if it’s got the same “La Shakily Queasy-Cam” as the original i’m out.

rhid

Very excited to see this. I love cloverfield and Mary Elizabeth winstead so this is win win!

colournoise

GrahamS – Member
    Needs more lens flares.

I often get the feeling that I’m the only person other than JJA himself that actually really likes the lens flare thing.

butcher

I couldn’t watch the trailer without thinking of Tiffany. Not sure it set the mood for some post-apocalyptic disaster movie.

GrahamS

Lens flares always feel a bit Babylon 5 to me.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AXz_-Swp8Y[/video]

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OT:Lens flares you say? [language warning]

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcYaSwoGaw8[/video]

On Topic: going to see this tonight. Excited.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

I thought it was excellent. I was actually tired when I left the cinema from being tense so much.

ahwiles
    Free Member

is it filmed in vomit-vision?

(even now, years later, just thinking about cloverfield can bring on a migraine…)

bainbrge

@GrahamS I might be wrong but I think Babylon 5 and lensflare are linked in computer graphics history, something to do with Lightwave on the Amiga which was used for the SFX.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member
    legend
    Free Member

ahwiles – Member
    is it filmed in vomit-vision?
    (even now, years later, just thinking about cloverfield can bring on a migraine…)

Nah, just normal this time. iirc “this is not a sequel” still want to give it a go though

_tom_
    Free Member

I really enjoyed it. Better than Cloverfield which I also enjoyed.

seanthesheap
    Free Member

We saw it at the weekend and its pretty good, not really like Cloverfield.

wattsymtb
    Free Member

Yeah it’s all proper cinematography. No shaky cam.

nedrapier

You’ve got Easy Rider to thank for lens flare, apparently. Always avoided before that – spoiled shots on account of dirty lenses.

Shooting on a budget and inexperienced, they didn’t clean their lenses properly, and the shots came out with loads of lens flare. No budget to reshoot, they’d thought they’d effed the whole thing up but had to go with what they had. Turns out that people thought it added a certain… I don’t know what, and it ended up being emulated deliberately for effect in films after that.

from memory of a doc seen 5-10 years ago, possibly mostly not true.

Pyro

JJA’s been a bugger for using anamorphic lenses, which can do some funky flare thingies. Didn’t he apologize for over-using them in one of the ‘Trek movies he did?

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

WOW! THAT WAS AWESOME!

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, no, seriously.

Totally engrossing, only for one moment was I slightly out of suspense.

Winstead and Goodman hit it out of the park, their characterizations are excellent and watchable and it’s scripted and cut perfectly around them. I really liked the visual styling it’s got some nice tight focus shots and a well handled camera overall. Put it this way: I stopped noticing the inevitable dribble on the cinema’s screen after just a second.

Watching the events unfold is more than enough as you are drawn into them so naturally, and shocked enough early-on to have your real-world rationality somewhat perturbed. It also does it without resorting to repetitive gore which was impressive [though there is gore indeed, where justified].

There’s other things in the plot and VFX which are really nice and I thought the “Cloverfield” connections were fine too. :mrgreen:

-ve: Eeer I guess it’s a fairly preposterous story. But I think it at least really uses that story well.

8/10 – Stonking. See on a big screen if possible

Danny79
    Free Member

Totally agree with gofaster’s review, great film.

IainAhh
    Free Member

You are right bainbrge I worked in film VFX around that time and used Lightwave. There wasn’t a huge amount of control over the lens flare as it was a new feature. It was used a lot in Babylon 5. They would have been using beta unreleased versions of the software as we were.

“LightWave was the first professional 3D package to incorporate lens flares into its arsenal. Simply put, a lens flare is an artifact that appears in the lens elements of a camera when you aim it toward a source of light. It is by all definitions a defect—a limitation of the camera lens. However, by imitating this defect, you can add the realism of using an actual camera to LightWave animations.”

Below are a couple of Lightwave scenes from about 1997.
    These have been composited in 2d, the lens flare in the second one is a real camera shot element added on top of the CGI. God almost 20 years ago.

mrsfry
    Free Member

Goodman was ‘Bat Poop Crazy’ Not what i expected by a long shot, but i did like the connection to Cloverfield.

I was way off track with the plot (the sneaky blighters)

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘10 Cloverfield Lane. The sequal to Cloverfield’ is closed to new replies.