Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • 10" Android tablet recommendations
  • cynic-al
    Free Member

Things have changed…there was a time when there were daily multi-page threads on this topic, alas, no more!

Nexus seems a bit pricey at ~£300, what else is there?

jes
    Free Member

Resisted getting one for a while but finally got the Xperia Z, not cheap but had a couple of features I liked such as waterproof and IR remote.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

Nexus vs Xperia, they both have their merits but the Nexus being cheaper swayed it for me. You might see a nice saving on the Nexus when the new one is released very soon.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta.

£150 Lenovo on very looks more like it tho!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

I have a nexus 10 – great bit of kit. Google will be announcing the nexus 10 2 soon though but for me, the current nexus 10 running 4.3 is perfect. Tried a couple of custom roms on it, got it unlocked and rooted but went back to stock. Watching vids is pretty good if you get high def movies.

endurogangster
    Free Member

Xperia z is great, not cheap but waterproof and quick.

patriotpro
    Free Member

Nexus seems a bit pricey at ~£300

Because it’s the best.

andermt
    Free Member

Not sure how many they had but I was in John Lewis in MK yesterday and was discussing the Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 with the sales guy and he told me they had some 10.1 Tab 2’s available for £160 (16GB).

So I bought one of those instead. (apparently they were at a reduced cost due to box damage, it was minimal, had been opened though, I assume to check the tablet is okay. Working perfectly okay.

He said they had sold 35 of them on Saturday and had re-stocked from other shops for Sunday. Might be worth a check with your local JL if the Samsung is of interest.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

singletracksurfer – Member
    good machine, but bit dated so at a bargain price http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Asus-Transformer-TF101-16GB-10-1-Dual-Core-with-Docking-Station-Keyboard-Laptop-/200962648510?

Just got rid of a TF201. On the plus side it had an SD card but the screen was low res and poor. Battery life ok but very difficult to upgrade roms etc. I think 4.2.2 was the last upgrade so the TF201 would be limited too. GPS was cack on the TF201 too, so much so they released a free external GPS add on.

Just got a 64gb memory stick and using an OTG cable can use it for storage.

Buy the N10. Suck up the cost, you won’t regret it.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Ta all.

Would something like the Asus, with a CD drive, allow me to rip and burn cds for my logitech set up?

I don’t need the latest BTW, I see no value in paying for envelope pushing/early adoption!

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Problem is, by buying older machines, you’re restricted to older versions of Android and less chance of firmware upgrades. I’m not aware of a CD drive that connects to the Asus TF201 but it did have a keyboard dock, micro SD slot, SD slot and USB and an on-keyboard battery that extended the tablet battery life.

You can get usb sticks to work if you root your tablet and install stickmount, with an OTG cable connected. I don’t think a tablet would put enough power through this connection to power a usb cd rom unless it was externally powered. In which case you’re looking at lots of cables and add-on units so you may as well get a laptop!

You could get a wifi external drive and use a computer to rip everything to this, then connect to it for tunes?

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Nexus 10 doesn’t need rooting to use OTG.

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I’ve got an Asus TF300.
    Love it.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Ah maybe not but I’m pretty sure stickmount required root access and a few other apps needed it too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

TF300 @ £135 ordered, TVM!

cooie

TF300 @ £135 ordered, TVM!

Where from?

V8_shin_print
    Free Member

Been very happy with this:
    http://www.ebuyer.com/432600-sumvision-cyclone-voyager-tablet-pc-cycvoy101bt
    Sumvision Voyager £120

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

Ah maybe not but I’m pretty sure stickmount required root access and a few other apps needed it too.

Nexus Media Importer will use OTG on the Nexus 10 without root access.

I find watching a movie from a USB stick through the OTG a bit noisy though, so have to copy any media locally before watching.

The nexus 10 won’t charge through the magnetic strip if you are using OTG, so another reason to copy.

richmars

Tesco bringing out their own soon:tesco tablet

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Turner guy.

Not got a pogo charger yet. I’m never far from a PowerPoint and usually plug it in overnight while it’s powered off so fully zapped by the morning.

Just watched the new episode of fifth gear through a 64gb usb and Otg thought it looked fantastic. What media player do you use? I’m using mx player. Playing mkv file but no sound unless I used software decoder to watch but yeah, it looked ace.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

DUBBLE PERST

cynic-al
    Free Member

Well that is seeming to be too good to be true – currently getting the run around, or the seller is a bit of an imbecile.

cp

Well that is seeming to be too good to be true -currently getting the run around, or the seller is a bit of an imbecile.

Looking at that website isn’t a great start, and a US based seller with no feedback?!

Potdog
    Free Member

Product not on their website anymore, think that says it all.

RichPenny
    Free Member

What do you want it for?

scotroutes

Been thinking about this for a while and reckon I’ll treat myself to a new Nexus for Xmas.

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rich – browsing mostly, nowt fancy – thus no need for £3-400 Nexus etc

PePPeR

Get yourself into Tesco and pick up one of their Hudls then. Sounds like it’s just what you need…

cynic-al
    Free Member

I want a 10″ one like the one I’ve ordered above.

Have people given up read threads?

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘10" Android tablet recommendations’ is closed to new replies.