Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 10-44t cassette – medium or long cage xtr rear mech?
  • zelak999
    Free Member

Looking at the hope 10-44t cassette, can I use a medium cage txt rear mech on 1x 11 or will I need the long cage?

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I wrote a load of stuff here but in the end I really should just say that medium is what you should have for 1x the long cage is for use with a front mech.

andyl
    Free Member

Something like an XT GS has a 39T capacity so should be fine and as shimano are bringing out a 46T cassette it should be fine in that respect too.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies, where do shimano publish the capacity of the xtr gs and how do I calculate my needed capacity?
    I’m running a 32t up front and the cassette is 10-44t.

nickc

First work out max. chainring difference by subtracting the number of teeth in the smallest chainring from the number of teeth in the largest chainring.

max cassette difference: by subtracting the number of teeth on the smallest cassette cog from the number of teeth on the largest cassette cog

work out capacity by adding result of the top sum to the bottom sum

Obvs on a single ring you don’t need to worry about it too much! most on line shops will tell you the capacity of the rear mech, or the shimano website has the info as well. For the record I think the shimano med. cage rear mech has a capacity of 39t.

zelak999
    Free Member

Thanks nickc, so presumably I just deduct 10 from 44 to get 34 and ignore the front chainring.

nickc

pretty much.. 😀

andyl
    Free Member

i am trying to find out if the XT M8000 is suitable for the new 46T chainring. The specs for the new SLX M7000 state it has a larger capacity and suitable for 46T and normally the SLX is pretty much identical in form but this years is slightly different pivots etc. Would be irritating to spend £55 on an XT RD that’s not got the capacity of a cheaper SLX due out in a few weeks.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I was told that the medium cage 11 speed xtr rear mech would only go up to 40t Hence why you can’t get a 42t xtr cassette. But I have since read that they are fine up to 46t.

Goldigger
    Free Member

Info of the shimano page for the XT M8000 GS RD suggests it can only be used with a 42T max sprocket…

Model Number RD-M8000
    Series DEORE XT
    Shifting Action SHADOW RD+
    Mount Type Direct attachment (Conventional) / Direct mount compatible (w/o bracket spec available)
    Maximum Sprocket Low sprocket:40/42T** Top sprocket: 11T **42T for 1×11 only
    Minimum Sprocket Low sprocket:40T Top sprocket: 11T
    Front Difference MAX 10T
    Total Capacity 39T
    Link Pin Bushings 4

Edit.
    M8050 GS RD Di2 is compatible with 46T
    Series SHIMANO DEORE XT
    Maximum Sprocket “42T(2×11-speed) 46T(1×11-speed)”
    Minimum Sprocket 11T
    Front Difference 10T
    Total Capacity 35T

SLX is also compatible with 46T sprocket
    Series SLX
    Maximum Sprocket “42T(2×11-speed) 46T(1×11-speed)”
    Minimum Sprocket 11T
    Front Difference 10T
    Total Capacity 41T
    Average Weight 323g

andyl
    Free Member

I suspect the max quotes is what was available at the time. Fingers crossed as I’ve got 2 XTs on the way.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘10-44t cassette – medium or long cage xtr rear mech?’ is closed to new replies.