Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • 1 x10 on Giant XTC 29?
  • Turnerfan1
    Free Member

HI,
    Who’s done this to theirs? Juggling with the press fit bb and a 36 ring is difficult! The ring ends up very close to the chainstay.Have tried spacing it out with washers with various degrees of success but just wondering what other people’s solutions are? Might try a smaller ring as it looks like it will give more clearance,but I like the 36 ring!
    Thanx,
    Max

h4muf
    Free Member

Will on here has I think.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What’s the issue? You can get the XTC29 carbon with a double chainset which has an outer 38tooth ring.

So surely the 36 tooth ring would just go in place of a 38tooth, and there’s no inner ring?

Or am I missing something?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Yeah,that’s on a double.To run a single ring I put it on the inner ring side.The chainguide will not line up on the outer ring side,it pushes it to far out!. A difficult dilemma.Just wondered what other people have done.
    Thanx,
    Max

mtbtomo
    Free Member

What chainguide you using?

Can you not space this out slightly somehow?

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

I am using an ethirteen seat tube mount one.Tryed it at spaced out at max and does not give enough adjustment.Still rubs in guard.Think I’am gonna try a 34 ring.Looks like that will bring it away from chainstay.It’s an XTR double chainset (980,985?) The one that was originally 38/26.I believe this is the same as the triple XTR.Maybe a specific double chainset will work better as the spacing is different?

ratherbeintobago

Are you sure the spacing on an XTR double is the same as a triple? I’d have thought the middle position on a triple would line up properly. The double might be slightly offset to the outside to improve the chain line in the big ring/small sprockets.

S_J
    Free Member

Slightly off topic, but I’d say that a 36 single ring is too big for a 29er, I’m running 33 and 34 on my 2 single ring 29ers. You do lose a bit of top end but a 36 is hard work up anything approaching steep.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    I recon a standard double would be spot on.The outer ring position would be ideal.Tried the outer ring position again on my XTR crank and not only did it not line up with chainguide but ran off big ring in 36 sprocket.So far have got it lined up with 36 ring in smaller ring position with a 1″ headset spacer (5mm) between crank and bb and chainline is about right,gears work perfectly and guide lines up.Ideally without spacer the ring would need to be where the chainring tabs are.I. believe a specific double chainset in the outer ring position would be ideal.
    The 36 ring seems ideal for local terrain and racing.I also have a Anthem 29 with XT 38/26 and spend a lot of time in the 38 and have been running that for a year.As with my 26 ” in the past I will run a 34 tooth ring on the XTC in the winter for slightly easier gearing.Thanx for the comments.
    Max

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

I run an XTC 29 carbon with a 36t single and a XCX ST guide and pressfit GXP bb.

I think the problem you’re having is because you’re trying to use a double chain set with a 36t on the inner position? Mine has a Truvativ Noir triple but with the single on the middle position, this works well with no trickery.

For what it’s worth I think 36t is spot on for a 29er for me running an 11-36 rear. I used it for the Dyfi enduro, every National XC event and weekend riding, infact, sometimes a little bigger would be good.

Turnerfan1
    Free Member

Hi,
    Yeah,currently running the ring on inside of outer tabs.This is the trail
    XTR which I believe is the same as a standard triple.I think you would struggle with clearance on 38/26.Maybe designed around triple rings?
    Thanx,
    Max

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘1 x10 on Giant XTC 29?’ is closed to new replies.