Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1 x CX what size chainring?
  • rOcKeTdOg

For all round use with short sharp hills?

theotherjonv

depends on your cassette and your strength / style (mash or spin) but standard seems to be 42 on an 11:28 and go up or down from there.

bumper
    Free Member

superstar 38nw

jonk

38 with 11-32 cassette here

crashtestmonkey
    Free Member

Currently got 38T NW front and 11/28 rear, but in the Superstar sale I bought a spare 38 and also a 40 to try out, and I also have an 11/32 cassette to try. SS and the like are cheap enough to experiment with (unlike Sram, for instance).

On the 38-28 I was one of very few riders (in my cat at any rate) to clean the steep mound at our Didcot round, which was instrumental in my highest placed finish (6th, normally come between 10-15th).I’m a lightweight spinner not a powerhouse BTW.

cp

I race on 40t, with 11-32 on the back. Works really well. 32 is useful on the back in the recent clag fest, gets you past a surprising amount of people on the steep sticky ups.

Edit – I use a superstar chainring with a 1×10 Shimano set up, with the rear mech spring tension mod. I don’t use any other guide and haven’t dropped a chain yet, despite all the clag this season.

chrishc777
    Free Member

I’ll be going 1×10 soon on the cxer and was wondering about chain retention, tell me more of this mech spring mod

steve_b77
    Free Member

I use a 38t superstar ring with a 11-32 slx cassette, 5701 rear mech and no tension mod or device and haven’t lost a chain yet.

Rorschach
    Free Member

38 and 11-28

Garry_Lager

28 at the back sounds a bit short for general riding around, think most people would appreciate 32 or 34 there if you’re running 40, say, upfront.
    Like you’ll spank it up any short sharp hill regardless, but you want to be able to sedately proceed on occasion, without feeling like it’s an effort.

Dibbs
    Free Member

I need a 36 on the front with 11-32 on the back for the climbs round here, luckily I have a 46 on the front as well, for the descents. 😉

Junkyard
    Free Member

39-34-11 here

I can ride everything round here off road in a 28-11 [ dont fancy some of the lakeland climbs though on that gearing] but it feels like SS on a narrow barred bike/lots of standing climbs.

Depends how hilly it is and how strong you are.

eddie11
    Free Member

Re: mech mod

Shimano road mechs have 2 positions for the spring. Stock is a weaker setting. You can make it stronger to give a clutch like effect. I’ve not tried it yet but it’s on my to do list

As usual Park tools is your friend http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/rear-derailleur-overhaul#article-section-3

bikebouy
    Free Member

Gnarrrr, a Big Un’.

Or a 36, maybe down to 34 but we don’t know what yer cassette ratios are and the Prairie you ride on, you said hills, how steep?

allymcmurdo
    Free Member

38T here with 11-36 cassette. Perfect for big hills around here.

cookeaa

Just fitted a 38t (Superstar) with 11-32 nine speed cassette (MTB mech).

I had a 34t before that which was handy on climbs, but a bit spinny for flats/roads… If I find climbing is becoming a struggle I might consider a bigger cassette maybe, we’ll see…

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1 x CX what size chainring?’ is closed to new replies.