• This topic has 9 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by kane.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • 1 x 9 is it possible?
  • Mikey
    Free Member

Does anyone know if it is possible to convert a 9 speed cassette with one of the replacement large cogs like the T-Rex or one up?
    And are the narrow-wide chainrings compatible with a 9 speed chain?
    My rear mech and shifter are too good to get rid of and I kind of want to do it on a budget.
    Has any one tried this set up?
    I have an XTR 9 speed long cage rear mech with an XTR shifter with an XT 11-34 cassette.
    Im guessing I would still need some form of guide as the rear mech isn’t clutched.
    Maybe that would do away with needing a narrow-wide chainring?

BoardinBob

NW works fine with 9 speed
    Dunno about the range extender

zinger
    Free Member

theres a letter on the letters page of this months mbr where someone is saying they have used the t-rex with 9 speed and a 1mm spacer

you could use one of these to stop chain slapping around too much

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/bionicon/c-guide-eco-ec062528?country=GB&currency=GBP

davewalsh
    Free Member

Spacing wouldn’t be right with a 9 speed cassette unless it was shimmed out as stated above, 1mm sounds a bit thick to me though.
    Narrow-Wide chainrings work with 1*9, I’m running a superstar one on my Soul at the moment. Currently running a standard XT rear mech without a chainguide and haven’t dropped the chain yet (been running it for about a month and done some pretty rough stuff).

ianfitz
    Free Member

I run narrow wide 9 speed no chain guard. All works fine.

kane
    Free Member

I’m currently using an 11-39 cassette made with an Actiontec 39 cog, SLX cassette and 2 Miche cogs to give 11-13-15-18-22-26-30-34-39. Shifting is good enough but not as good as a normal cassette on and off the 2 Miche cogs.

Mikey
    Free Member

Great! Thanks for the replies. Regarding the spacing, would the spacer need
    to be next to the lock ring, inbetween the original cassette and new largest ring
    or next to the spokes?
    Cheers

VanHalen

how much are those Actiontec cogs!! i`ll just man up i think!

Can you pull the 36 cog of off the 12-36 deore and run that on the back of an xt cassette? maybe i`ll have a play and see.

kane
    Free Member

yeah it’s a bit pricey and ended up working out 15 quid more than the hope one. It is wearing well though and I’m not convinced the hope would work on 9 speed because of the overhang on the last cog of a 10 speed cassette.

Manning up is my go to option but there will come a time when you do a big ride where the mind wants to get up the hill but your legs just won’t be able to turn the cranks and having a lower gear would have saved that little bit of strength that could see you up it without walking. It happened to me the first time I did a day with more than 2000 m of climbing – I just couldn’t pedal up the last 200 m steep slope.

kane
    Free Member

and yes a 36 tooth deore cog will work with the XT cassette. You’ll just have to cut the pins that hold it together.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 is it possible?’ is closed to new replies.