Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • 1 x 9 – front mech required?
  • ruminant
    Free Member

Afternoon

Built up a commuter with odds and sods from here and there, its all good except that I can’t get the front mech out to the third ring. Tried everything but no joy (it does seem to have the reach when extended).

Anyway needless to say I’m spinning out in the middle ring so going to bodge a 1×9 setup with the 42 on front, question is will I need to keep the mech on as a sort of chain device or can I drop some metal.

Pics of others who have done this would be good

cheers

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

on the road/commuter no, only in places where the chains being shaken up.

are you sure the chains long enough if its not shifting up?

Olly
    Free Member

i did what you describe, but put the 42 in the middle, where the middle ring should be, so prevent excessive chain lines from first gear across to the big ring.

worked fine, never dropped on the road.

depends on clearence in the chainstays, which varies from bike to bike.

ruminant
    Free Member

Tell you what spoon I’d not thought of that.

Nicked the chain and cassette of the girlfriends trek, just assumed that same set up it would work, will split it and check, although that wont increase the reach on the front mech will it

Northwind

My road bike is 1×8, and it does drop the chain more often than I’d like… It’s not actually my bike so I’ve just put up with it but if it was mine I’d rig some sort of chain retainer. It’s not just that it comes off of course, you also can’t pedal it back.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

If you have an unramped chainring a 1×9 with the chainring in the middle it works fine IME without anything else – been riding my commuter like this for a year or so

ruminant
    Free Member

evening

Finally got it boged

as northwind said first attempt it kept jumping off the ring when switch to a higher gear so rigged the mech up, screws all the way in as a chain guide

took a spin round the block works like a dream.

just wondering whether to be nesh or not tomorrow as its supposed to be bad rain again in the afternoon.

Cheers to all for your advice

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 – front mech required?’ is closed to new replies.