• This topic has 15 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by br.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • 1 x 9 for Gorrick races.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I want to convert my Scott scale to 1×9 for the Brass monkeys etc, the reason being that I’ve done it on my training bike and just love the simplicity of a sequential gearbox without any worries of snapping the chain if left in big ring or chainsuck in small ring.
    I’m totally happy pushing 32 – 32 on even the evilist of climbs so my main concern would be spinning out the 32 – 11 on sections of fireroad.

Any of the fast guys on here able to comment? I rode the final Monkeys last year and I think it would have been ok, but the Gorrick 100 course had a couple of long, fast fireroad sections.

Would a 34 or even 36 tooth up front be more suitable for the Surry terrain?

br
    Free Member

Might be a bit tough at Tunnel Hill, and what about the climb in Swinley up the back of The Wife and the like – most can’t get up there, even with a granny.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

That climb at swinley was as quick to run up as to try peddle! If I need to shift to granny I tend to jump off and give some other muscles a go. I’m really not worried about the climbs, it spinning out that would frustrate me.

njee20
    Free Member

I’d say you’ll be fine, not many straight fireroad descents in Gorricks. I use a 36t 1×10, and find it absolutely fine. Why not go for a 34t with an 11-34, still gives you the same bottom gear, but a slightly higher top gear.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Cheers njee. Next cassette I’ll get a 34t version and a 34 chainring to go with it.

richP

I run 1×9 at the Gorricks/Brass Monkeys. Usually on my 29er with a 30T chainring and 11-28 cassette. Can’t really think of anywhere where I was left wanting for bigger gears.

njee20
    Free Member

Why limit yourself with a 28t cassette? As said, chapeau if you can get up ‘the wall’ with a 30-28!

DrP

Oh.
    I’m taking my single speed….!

32:16 for all…?!

DrP

shortcut

32 should be fine.

Not doing Swinley in BM the only hilly one is Caesars and even that should be fine. People do them Singlespeed without pushing.

onandon
    Free Member

I ride Caesars on a 32/14 single speed. All hills are doable wilth a bit of a puff and a spit at the top.

njee20
    Free Member

People do them Singlespeed without pushing.

The worry was spinning out, not running out of gears.

DrP

Yay! One for the win!

DrP

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The worry was spinning out, not running out of gears.

Spinning out IS running out of gears. 🙂

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Thanks again njee; an island of understanding in the stw ocean of opinion.

njee20
    Free Member

Spinning out IS running out of gears.

Good point 😉

br
    Free Member

If I need to shift to granny I tend to jump off and give some other muscles a go.

Ah, well miss out the middle-man, just run round… 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9 for Gorrick races.’ is closed to new replies.