Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • 1 x 9
  • tommyhine

Does anyone run 1×9 or does it not offer enough in the way of range?
    I’m contemplating it as I can’t afford to go 10 speed at the back and can’t be arsed with a twin chain device at the front.

wwaswas

I have 2 bikes running 1×9 – one with a 36 front ring (which can be a struggle, tbh) and one with 34. Both have a 32 max rear cassette.

You can get a 34 max 9 speed cassette so unless you need a really low gear for climbing you’d be fine.

avdave2

I do, 32 x 11-32 gets me up everything on the South Downs. No really long climbs but plenty of reasonably steep bits. If I went a 10 speed I’d probably go for a 34 x 11-36 to give a little extra at either end but what I’ve got is good enough until it’s worn out.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    theotherjonv

I run 1*10 on one bike, depends how strong you are / how hilly it is where you live. Plenty run 1*10 with a 34 or 36 front, and a 36t rear, so a 11:34 cassette with a 32 or 34 front will be broadly the same for the ups and give away a little on your biggest gear.

Also depends whether you are talking about a 26er or a 29er. If the latter you can knock a couple off the front to accounts for the bigger wheels. Personally – I’m on a 29er with 32 front and 11:36 rear.

tommyhine

Cool, I reckon I might have a go at this next week when I get paid, I run a 26″ so might be a bit more of a struggle up the hills but I could probably do with trying a bit harder up them any way.

robhenry85
    Free Member

i do on my HT. i run a 32t up front so i can do most climbs locally. i’d struggle with long steep climbs, but i would with 10 speed also. top end i only spin out on long down hill fire roads, the boring stuff. i don’t thing one extra gear will make any real difference.

works for me and getting me fitter 😉

i do have 2*10 on my full suss tho for all day stuff

birdage

Just ditched my front and got 39/11-32 which is a bit of a struggle on some of the hills but generally feels great. Thinking of bodging a 11-36 on the back and maybe losing a couple of teeth on the front.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

My hardtail is 1 x 9. 36t up front with 11-32 cassette. Climbs like a goat! Although got a bit flabby over the winter so I can often hear the 34t ring calling me from its hiding place in the shed.

nixon
    Free Member

I run my full sus 1×9, 36 at the front, I’m upgrading to a 11-34 at the back as the 11-32 does run out a bit on steep climbs (though they’re still possible). So I’d recommend it, saves you weight and money for little loss in my opinion.

darkslider
    Free Member

Yup, 32t front ring and 11-32 on the back lets me winch up even super steep technical sections without feeling like I’m pushing too big a gear. You only need to go 1×10 if you’re fashion conscious or have the legs of a small girl. And if you haven’t got the legs then you’ll get them quickly! 🙂

Brother_Will
    Free Member

Hmmmm says the person who just got a 38tooth ring for his 1×9 29er project. Good job im in the fens then 😆

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

32,11-34

But 1×10 can have a clutched mech

spectabilis
    Free Member

40, 11-32 here. Fine for trail centre’s n local XC

tommyhine

The clutch mech is what I really want but don’t have the wonga to splash on new cassette, mech, chain shifter etc so will probably just drop a cog at the front and get a cheapish chain device so technically won’t save any weight or money (maybe a little weight but I could probably lose more a lot quicker in the bathroom before a ride).
    so….
    what chainguide and ring for the front then. I was looking at just getting a cheap set up from superstar, probably don’t want to spend more than £50-£60.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Can’t remember this topic ever being covered before?

tops5
    Free Member

My C456 runs 34T/11-34 gets me round my local loops and was ok round llandegla (I am at the unfit end of our riding group).

Cheap Superstar top guide has worked fine.

Northwind

My Soda’s 1×9, though with a clutch mech (X9 shifter + mod + SLX). It’s not quite as good as my 1×10, the 36T cassette isn’t a massive difference but it does seem to be the slight difference between “good enough” and “slightly hard work”. Or to put it a different way, there were a few times last week in Wales when I wished for a lower gear on the 1×10, where on the 1×9 I’d have been in a higher gear.

663sqd
    Free Member

I have soda too on a 1×9 set up. . Works really well. . For xc stuff . . Not yet tested Wales etc but feel it will be fine. . Only now and again do I think I need a few extra gears, very steep stuff and getting quick speed on descents. . It is a perfect set up for xc racing with the leg strength! Standard xt cassette wi E13 ring/ chain guide ZTR shifter.

andeh

I run 1×9, 36t chainring and 11-34 cassette. I find the range is enough, you just have to learn to power up things opposed to sitting and spinning. I’ve never found a climb at a trail centre I couldn’t make but sometimes I have to get off and push in the Peaks. I’m considering swapping for a 34t ring.

I’m running ancient X7 with SRAM cassette and an old E13 LG1 w. taco bash guard.

mtbtomo
    Free Member

tommy – you don’t really need a dedicated chainring for 1×9. I just removed the inner and outer rings from my Shimano cranks and made do with the 32T. Add a superstar xcr bb mount chain guide for £16 and it was fine. There was a little bit of rub running 32 front to 11t sprocket but bearable. I ran 32 x 32-11 on my C456. Now I’m running 34 x 36-11 (10 spd) on the full suss, just to get a marginally wider gear range (top and bottom)

If you really do want a dedicated front ring, then there are FSA ones on ebay for less than £20 depending on size. Which is generally cheaper than e-thirteen, Hope etc.

Keva
    Free Member

36/11-32 here. Perfect for local trails and visits to S.Wales trail centres. Other places I ride demand a smaller front chain ring so I take a different bike 😉

ian martin
    Free Member

You can get a stainless chainring from on-one cheap, which will last a lonnnnnnng time but are not reversible like some.

smatkins1
    Free Member

34t strongly recommended here

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘1 x 9’ is closed to new replies.