Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • 1 x 6 (nippers bike) question: which chain do I need please? (pics)
  • walla24
    Free Member

I have a Falcon Raptor much loved by the nipper but needed a new drivetrain:
    6speed shimano freewheel
    One piece singlespeed crankset

But what chain do I need (dont have the old one, doh!)
    I have a narrow kmc 6/7/8spd chain on there which works perfectly freewheel end but the links seem too long for the crank’s teeth and they ride over the top like this:

What chain do I need to cope with gears and singlespeed??
    Cheers all

PhilO
    Free Member

I’d expect a bog basic 3/32″ chain to be right for that, but the way that sits on the chainring suggests that might be a 1/8″ ring. Has the chainring been changed?

walla24
    Free Member

yeah the ring was changed but it looked exactly the same, it does this with new and old rings.

hot_fiat

Does it do that on the biggest rear sprocket? Looks like the front might be a BMX (1/8″) chainring, which would be wrong to work with a derailleur system.

PhilO
    Free Member

If that chain sits high on the old ring, too, then it suggests that it’s a chain issue. “Narrow” doesn’t really chime with 6 spd… If it was me, I’d start by getting the cheapest 3/32″ chain I could lay my hands on to test it.

If you have callipers, you could also easily measure the thickness of the chainring.

hot_fiat
    walla24
    Free Member

pretty sure it does it regardless of which rear gear it is in, I will try a cheap 3/32″ chain, cheers.

Out of interest how long are ‘standard ie. 8/9/10spd’ chain links?

mintimperial

Out of interest how long are ‘standard ie. 8/9/10spd’ chain links?

The length (pitch) of a bicycle chain is always the same (1″), its the width that’s different. The chain on there is too narrow on the inside links to fit over the teeth on the chainring. As others have said a bog standard 3/32″ chain should sort you out I reckon.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘1 x 6 (nippers bike) question: which chain do I need please? (pics)’ is closed to new replies.